Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 3986 3987 3988 3989 3990 3991 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:06 pm
I've read a little of Vampire, Mage, and Werewolf, which I believe are their 3 biggest products. I've not read the versions from the New World of Darkness, though. The great thing about White Wolf games is that their mechanics are simple, so they can actually work in a forum much better than most tabletoppers.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:01 pm
I have played a fair amount of V:tM and a game or two of M:tG tabletop. I would gladly continue to do so . . . the last time I played V:tM, it was as a Tremere, the only clan of vampires to retain any form of magic use. Of course, the GM allowed me to take the path of fire first. big mistake. He let me have something that terribly harms all vampires right out of the gate. twisted

I had fun.  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:22 am
Were you referring to Mage the Ascension/Awakening or some Magic the Gathering tabletopper?
I've only read up on White Wolf, as its approach to tabletopping doesn't mesh w/ my DM's style. Still, I love every word I've read.

Oh, very nice, I can imagine! That ability seemed very good when I read about it. I only know details on the clams that are part of that coalition, b/c the free starter guide only talks about them.

I'll say, the Storyteller system and White Wolf's writing is the sort of stuff I wish I could do if I were to ever create a tabletopper.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:51 pm
I was indeed referring to tabletop. Like the Star Wars tabletop system, the characters were very simple to use. All that was required was more dice. In White Wolf (WW), one required d10s. Anything over a 6 was a success, I believe. Both the magical powers and the vampiric abilities relied on this system. It was both simple, and elegant in my opinion. Of course, the style is up to the GM. The system is only numbers and dice. What is done with it . . . THAT is what is fun.

One of these days I should tell you about how my best friend/brother had me play a regular human in a Vampire game. that got to be . . . interesting.  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

welian

Crew

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:57 am
                  Now that's definitely a story I want to hear! I've only ever played one tabletop campaign, and it was D&D 3.5 - I was a barbarian, and my friend Jabari was a sorcerer, and he eventually decided that since I was the only one in the party who could withstand a direct fireball.....

Well, I went through a lot of s**t, but it was fun.

So, Captain-my-Captain, what happened?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 pm
True, my DM just tends to like a more numbers-heavy strict rules game, so the more free-form nature of the Storyteller and Storytelling systems doesn't fit as well for our group. He also likes straight RPing like done here, he just likes more of a division between the two.

Yes, you've also gotten my curiosity piqued.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:12 pm
cool

Okay . . . *cracks knuckles* I played a detective in the Washingon D.C. police force. I forget exactly how, but he got his hands on a very old book. The book was the how-to guide for new vampires and the rules of the Masquerade (the hiding of vampires from humans). A Gangrel was sent to retrieve it, and after having read a bit, he used a bit of his shattered bedroom door to kill the vampire. he only managed to put the Gangrel in torpor, though. In V:tM, a stake only puts a vampire into a deathlike state not unlike a coma called torpor.

Later, he pulled an all-nighter to prove he was being watched by another vampire. he had to contend with a few vampires, and even had tried to interrogate one. The detective did not yet understand that vampires could be killed through normal damage. He tried to question one and evidently blew up the entire chest cavity with a dirty harry style gun. That turned out very bad when it turned out the guy he got had a whole group bonded to him. That group turned on him, and he had to use dragon rounds from a shotgun to blow up his car just to get away. Ouchie time.

Later, he was even turned into a vamp, but I took the boon of "eat food." Most vampires will immediately throw up anything ingested other than blood. Those with the "Eat food" ability can keep it inside for a while. It helps with the masquerade. That was fun when he first 'woke' and asked for a coke. The guy that gave it to him screamed how the woman that turned me must have screwed up with this one! xd

Even made fun of the clan leaders of the city when I was introduced. In the game, new vampires must be approved before being made. I was not given permission, and was taken into a room that was labeled "Abandon all hope, Ye who enter here." I was a royal a** until the sherrif slashed at my midsection with a FF7 sword, and I took no damage. It shut me up because I couldn't make sense of how it destroyed my shirt, but I didn't have a scratch. The character rolled well on fortitude, so no damage was taken, but the sword did hit.

Lot more to tell, but those are the highlights. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:49 pm
chirp.  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:26 pm
Wow, quite the misadventures! That makes me want to play a White Wolf games even more. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:32 pm
It helped that the storyteller was one of the best I have ever known. He enjoyed the tales, and loved the games. He was the one that ran the Palladium Fantasy game that lasted 18 months. 3nodding  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:39 pm
Ah yes, A good GM can do wonders.

I picked up a copy of the old Palladium book recently and enjoyed leafing through it again. Their section of fantasy religions was great, so much better than that of any other tabletopper I've read.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:06 pm
I am not sure how much of our game was official, and how much of it was homebrew. We used the gods from the books . . . For instance, I followed the Dwarven god Belimar. We also had a warrior that followed . . . Utu? Basically the grim reaper. I loved his little tale.

It entailed a group of sorcerers after a battle, commissioned by their army to raise the important dead, and restore them. They did the ceremony and nothing happened. Confused, they tried twice more, with the last try even sacrificing some of the sorcerers! Finally, the king came down and demanded to have answers. Without any, a summoner called forth a very little demon, who flatly refused to answer why their god had not released the warriors. The King asked, and the summoner grew very nervous. Without proper safeguards, the imp could do some serious damage to the king. Instead, it just smiled malevolently and said "ask Utu."

More ceremonies later, the great shrouded form of the god of death Utu was before the king and group. The king asked why he, and not their worshipped god was responsible for their warriors not coming back. Utu just looked down and pointed the blunt end of his scythe at the pile of bodies. A single one toward the bottom . . . twitched. The black being said "This one raised a glass in my name every night. He also had nothing to do with your conflicts. I am charged with ferrying the dead to their respective gods. Raise my servant, and I will allow your warriors to go to their god so you may raise them."

I loved how he just blocked the king and all their hopes just because a regular joe was caught in the crossfire of other people's war.  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:01 pm
Tweaking the game to your group's preferences is half the fun, anyway. Pantheons are especially, fun as my group uses our own custom setting.

That's a great interpretation of a death deity, for sure.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:02 pm
Yeah. Honestly, there was a surprising amount of theological acceptance in that game. Nobody was really pissed over being of different beliefs . . . with one exception. And that is a hilarious story in and of itself. ninja  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:46 am
Yeah, I accept fantasy for what it is, even if some fictional religions bear similarities to real world religions (though copying them directly is a bit much in my opinion).  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 3986 3987 3988 3989 3990 3991 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games