Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4084 4085 4086 4087 4088 4089 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:49 pm
Chaos Reclaimer

Ahhh, the joys of criticals. I remember one game was dedicated to a MASSIVE battle against the avatar of a goddess we had seriously honked off. I mean, the GM was prepared to spend hours and hours on this fight. One member of hte party kept making called shots with a specific kind of strike that ignored all armor to the back of her head. When he made it, it was a Natural 20. Oh yeah. We had fun watching the avatar's head roll off somewhere!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:20 pm
Magni Prime
Chaos Reclaimer

Ahhh, the joys of criticals. I remember one game was dedicated to a MASSIVE battle against the avatar of a goddess we had seriously honked off. I mean, the GM was prepared to spend hours and hours on this fight. One member of hte party kept making called shots with a specific kind of strike that ignored all armor to the back of her head. When he made it, it was a Natural 20. Oh yeah. We had fun watching the avatar's head roll off somewhere!

My favorite character was called Tiny. He was a dragonborn half-golem. 1 int. 1 INT!!!! But. He had, if I remember correctly, 40+ str at lvl 10ish. And AC out his butt hole. Our DM thought he was being cute when he threw an ancient dragon at us. Our rogue ran. Wuss. Our warlock did something I can't remember. Paladin made sure we were all buffed. Then they looked at me. What's Tiny going to do? They asked. "Tiny smashes." Was my response, told them he was going to punch the dragon in the eye. Rolled. 20. 'Kay. Crit. 'Kay. Got another melee. Rolled. 20.

needless to say, the dragon's skull was inevitably caved in and our party rolled in loot and experience that day, my lovable idiot was the hero of his friends for the rest of his days. And the rogue was left out of everything.  

Saucy Goblin

Greedy Punk

RagingBluMunky

Dedicated Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:49 pm
Man, I love DnD. I just ran a one-day campaign last Saturday, and I'm hoping to run one in the new 5th ed. soonish. I usually DM, as no one else seems to be able to, or something. I don't particularly mind, as I get to indulge my love of world-building.

My worst/best moment was during said one-day campaign, the bandit chief that they had been sent to destroy, three rounds in a row, scored a critical and knocked out a player. The last player standing (of 5 plus a wolf) was the wizard who managed to Shocking grasp the last HP out of him.

It probably didn't help that there were 3 spellcasters, and one of the 'melee' characters was a rogue.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:27 pm
                  I think my favorite part of the one campaign I was in was just that fact that I got to be the barbarian. I saved everyone else a few times just because I had so many hit points. The drow sorcerer used this to his advantage - he cast a medium fireball at me. It killed the little enemies (beholders, maybe?) swarming me, and only took away.... a good third of my health. : P

Jabari, if you're out there, Aasha was an a*****e and I love him.

welian

Crew

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:09 am
So, Utterfanatic and I may be collaborating on a new horror roleplay. One with really weird monsters and our own mythos to invent. And I'd like it if you guys would join in when it's ready. Because I love this guild. But I am tired of seeing it stagnate.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:50 am
Griefen Nach. It was a creature I created once. .3.

An owl like monster that steals you. It could only move when you could see it and when you turned on a light source.  

Saucy Goblin

Greedy Punk

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:22 am
that's a good one.
The Worms that Walk. Colonies of mutant tubifex worms that seeks out and infest fresh human corpses, whereupon they will be hostile to live humans and attempt to infiltrate them, but are easily detectable by their unnatural rippling under the skin, inability to speak and lack of human concepts like clothing.
These are definitely good starts.
As well, we aren't going to be badass monster hunters. We're going to be low on funds, resources and allies, and more often than not we'll be hiding from the monster, trying to outrun it.
I'd like to use a sanity system, where encountering extreme weirdness the narrative and prose itself breaks down and gets weird for a bit.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:10 pm
Quote:
Because I love this guild. But I am tired of seeing it stagnate.
This; very this. *feels hypocritical due to not really having time for RPing even after leaving college*

Ah, so this will be SCP/Numenera-level weirdness. There's a lot of potential there...  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:21 pm
I keep trying to think of ways of drumming up participation, but honestly little has come to mind that hasn't failed spectacularly in the past. I personally believe that happened because of the same reason WoW has endured so long. Players. With the mass change in Gaia from RP to MMORPG and such, the idea of RP has been fading for years. with less people interested in it, less participation is evident. It isn't because the Refuge is bad, or because of a single person. It's because RP itself is scarce on the site compared to what once was.

I'd love to be wrong and fix it. I'd love to see the place approach 1K members again. I fully support any way we have to make things better again.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:22 pm
Totally off-topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQuWlIiNVo8 (epilepsy warning)
Nothing like pure arcade gameplay combined with neon/trippy visuals. I am very much enjoying this game. mrgreen  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:17 am
Well, for now all I can really suggest is we don't just lurk the OOC and put in as much as we can. Those assholes in the High Voltage guild seem to be doing ok, but it's through pandering to the lowest common denominator.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:53 am
Yoder

Ah, so this will be SCP/Numenera-level weirdness. There's a lot of potential there...

Very much so. But without a budget. It's literally going to start with a few guys operating out of a government back office. Only resources we'll have are a few pistols, some binoculars, a coffee pot, cigarette and bar tab.
The sanity system is going to be key. Basically, any exposure to anything like say, a lycanthrope transforming, artefacts of the starborn pantheon or other seriously unpleasant stuff will cause the character to lose sanity, which should be reflected by more broken, simplistic writing, thought patterns, fourth wall breaking.. Hence the importance of ritual and every day addictions to our investigators. Not to mention it's rare we get to actually kill or contain what we come across. Most of the time  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:12 pm
True, effort is what makes the difference.
I don't believe I've ever heard of High Voltage.

Okay, that sounds good.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:02 pm
                  Honestly, the key to getting the guild active is to keep at least a moderate baseline of activity - even if it means it's just one RP with three people posting, it's still something, and that still puts us out there.

welian

Crew

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:18 pm
High Voltage guild? neutral  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4084 4085 4086 4087 4088 4089 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games