Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4174 4175 4176 4177 4178 4179 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:25 pm
Security vs Freedom brings to mind the famous Benjamin Franklin quote, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Oh, I could rant for 100s of words about the totalitarian farce that is political correctness; it may have started with good intentions, but the Orwellian comparisons are getting too similar for comfort.
The political structure is an issue I definitely don't know how to resolve, but I know there must be a representative way that works.

Perhaps the problem with minimum wage & a livable wage has to do with real wages not having risen in the past 40 years. The economy is stagnant from the perspective of the general populace (factoring out the ups & downs, of course). The "rising tide lifts all boats" idea sounded good on paper, but it has only succeeded in dragging more into poverty (I suppose, just as planned by those spouting those lulling niceties).
Touching on the wealthy, those that have earned wealth honestly do have a right to it, and society seems to revel in its hatred of the rich, assuming they are unjust. On the flip side, many of the poor prove to not be good at handling money; giving the more will not change it, as is shown by lottery winners often burning through their winnings all to quickly. These are broad statements, of course, and not generalizations, just devil's advocate per se.

I agree that the system is failing; I'd just rather fix what's already here than try a radical shift. No other form of government has proven to work as well or be as resistant to corruption; of course, it requires it populace to keep it from being corrupted, which America has largely failed to do. And I guess at this rate the populace won't culturally renege significantly enough to keep any reform from actually working. It's the historical fate of all great civilizations to raise and fall; with the global nature of society and the infrastructure present in developed countries, a world war 3 or global government (i.e.: one from which there is no escape) would be beyond devastating. Even in the Revelation, Satan is unable to corral the wickedness of humanity toward his own ends ultimately; they rebel against him as well.

Universal health care, yes, but that quantity comes with a quality trade-off. Waiting lists in other countries cause their citizens to seek operations in America; who wants the government deciding if they die when you have the financial resources to pay for it (or for health insurance). With healthcare, everybody wants the best, but it is impossible for everybody to receive the best. Plus, I'd like to keep over 50% of my income so as to ensure there is motivation to strive for better.

While the desire may be sincere, the effect is of wealth being redistributed. Obviously charity is a good thing, but forced charity via the government is not (or generally letting the government do anything beyond its principle roles), especially when people become entitled and act as if those not on welfare have no say in their affairs; we do since you are receiving our money via the government (i don't think that's unreasonable).

[/rant] sorry, no offense is intended in any of the above (partially why i avoided replying, as i found it difficult to not fly off the handle) even if my manner is rather coarse. The regressive ideologies that are actually in vogue now just frustrate me to no end due to their insanity, and it's hard to not let some of it channel into speaking of related topics.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:17 pm
I'm not sure how to respond without perpetuating the cycle of "holyshitballs posting"  

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:38 pm
Sorry sweatdrop 3 multi-paragraph-per-post convos at once is daunting.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:41 pm
I know we were perpetuating at least two of those conversations. sweatdrop  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:12 pm
True, the 3rd (PM) had yet to becomes a full conversation.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:04 pm
I wasn't sure if it ever was going to be . . . you did not respond there, and I did not push. It was not even going to be alluded to here, had you not said something. Respecting privacy, and all that. sweatdrop  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:00 pm
I did respond. Did you not see it?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:36 pm
apparently I am a dummy, and did see it. Upon re-reading, I understand why it did not develop . . . I was unsure where to continue it. My bad, though I am still in the same boat. All that we discussed, and uncertainty where to take it further.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:55 pm
Fair enough. 3nodding Thanks for listening/reading.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:04 pm
always, my old friend. mrgreen  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:45 pm
No I just need to survive the 50-60 hour weeks to the end of the month, and i can go back to 40. I only signed up for June, but this project has had a way of not dying...  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:04 pm
that's a lot of hours. eek  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:15 pm
Yeah, was hoping it would give me some degree of favor and lead to a raise (I am working on a 2nd client since nobody else could fill the role needed), but the mid-year evaluation came and went with nothing to show for it. I'm presently afraid of the burnout that I keep trying to stave off, as burnout will destroy me just as I'm about to pass the finish line.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:21 pm
Unfortunately, that is the way business works for as long as I can remember. Work your a** off, and do a great job . . . and your thanks is to continue doing that for no recognition or additional pay. Burnout is a very real problem, and you have inspired a fair amount of concern, dear friend. Try not to overdo it, sir. Working yourself into a pile of cinders won't make the job think any higher of you.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:56 pm
Unfortunately, often true.
Was supposed to only be June, but then slipped into July, and now into August, but I know at least 1 of the clients will run out of budget by the end of August, so I'll definitely be back to more normal hours eventually.
I've managed through burnout once before after my year-long college capstone project course. Since i also worked in the IT department there, I never really got a break until a few years later when I came back home to help my parents and had 3 months between jobs. Technically I suppose I never 100% got over it since I'm always working a programming job, as I haven't programmed for fun since that project despite really wanting to make a game.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4174 4175 4176 4177 4178 4179 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games