Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4189 4190 4191 4192 4193 4194 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

welian

Crew

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:47 am

It's not short-sighted! I freely admit that the stat system is a bit complex. I cobbled it together from D&D and Pokemon, and you know me - I have no experience with tabletop systems. I created the stat system to regulate characters, to prevent god-modding and power-playing by forcing players to think critically about their desired powerset.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:32 pm
No system is perfect, and monitoring/crafting this is impressive. I far prefer to ignore or skirt around learning such complex things. My favorite tabletop system was BESM, which only required 2d6, and worked off of 3 stats. That was it.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:59 am
For local tabletop games, my DM & I cobbled together a little program to help manage some of the math (mostly for making sure we weren't forgetting bonuses), but to apply to your game it'd have to be web-based, which is another level of complication.
Actually, have you looked into using Google Docs spreadsheet's formulas to help manage it? it will leave something to be desired, but it could help a fair bit if there are derived stats & whatnot.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:48 pm
I like the idea of a program that will auto-calculate things . . . but lack the resources and skills to make something like that happen.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:37 pm
Excel or anything like it isn't too complicated overall, though it of course doesn't have the power of custom code. You just have formulas in cells that references other cells, letting you input the baseline values and have it perform all derived calculations.

For instance, if you want to get a Mod in Cell A2 from a Stat in Cell A1 in DnD, A2 would be something akin to "=FLOOR((A1 - 10) / 2)" ("floor" rounds down forcibly)  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:40 pm
. . . I haven't dealt with cell equations in a spreadsheet in freakin decades. Literal decades.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

welian

Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:32 pm
                  I've not yet gotten importing cells from another sheet to work but once I do, I'll be unstoppable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:15 pm
Meanwhile I am just sitting here patiently waiting for my annual purchases to arrive so I can squee like a 6yo.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

welian

Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:18 pm
Yeah? Whatcha expecting from mid-year Santa?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:12 pm
@Spreadsheets: I don't use Excel enough to know how to reference other files, but I know it's possible even if the syntax is absurd.

@Magni: New transformers?  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:56 pm
To say the least. I have managed to procure a set of 3rd party toys that I have drooled over for nearly two years. What was more, I found a black repaint of a 3rd party Rodimus Prime that will be equally interesting. They should be here on Monday.

I also purchased a set of reprolabels (sticker upgrade kits for toys). Ever wanted to relive the tedium of putting stickers on your toys?!? Me either. The result is awesome, and a definitive improvement in how they look, but damn this is torture!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:14 am
Nice. I've always liked the idea of figurines you have to paint/sticker, but then comes the expense & talent required...

My first euro-style board game arrived yesterday; it's simple, so I can play it w/ my niblings (nieces/nephews).  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:53 pm
well, they are all here. My evil version of Rodimus, the reprolabels, and Nero Rex. Rex was everything i thought he would be. In fact, I put on a reviewer I enjoy on the TV, and messed with each of the five figures from the team as they came up on the playlist. That allowed me to both enjoy the figure, and have a video to show me pointers I might not get like details on the figure, or a visual reference if I don't have something ~quite~ right. That came in handy. Each one was messed with prior to the videos, so they started in beast mode (lion, bull, rhino, tiger, eagle), then went to bot mode.

Of course, the process left me having to convert all five to their combined mode before combining them . . . and doing that process literally took me 40 minutes the first time I combined Rex. That also included combining his weapons (both melee and firearms). Attached is my pic of me holding the combined sword for the toy. Yes. It is that big.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:49 pm
crying  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:10 pm
Sorry, this week has been madness w/ a production incident. finally solved, but now i'm so behind that i'm having to work on the weekend to make up for it.

That is an epic-looking sword! Glad you like them ^^  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4189 4190 4191 4192 4193 4194 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games