BEASTS CONTEST

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matope
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:47 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

While there are many well-known creatures in the swamps -- cranes and turtles, songbirds and foxbuns, even the elusive feathered serpents and jellyfish -- there are also many creatures that aren't talked about as much...

For this contest, we're asking you to invent some kind of creature that might be found in the swamps of Matope [or the plains, or the mountains, or the caves, or...] but that doesn't already exist in templated form at our shop! This can either be a normal creature, something that exists on Earth, or it can be something new. There are many creatures in Matope that are combinations of two earthly creatures [foxbun, owlcat, ramcat], and also creatures that are oversized [giant moth, giant wasp, mantises], or otherwise strange [furbies, flying jellyfish, dragons]. Creativity is encouraged!

If you're looking to see what we already have, many of our core animals can be found here, and many user-made animals here, but there are also some around that aren't on the lists -- whups! Just ask in the thread, and people will be glad to help out.

When you present your concept, you can do it however you'd like. You can use a short description, you can create some kind of visual representation like a drawing or photoshop or collage, or you could be more creative, writing a poem or a myth. The choice is yours!

First place winner will both have their creation made into a template for use by the shop [OPEN use; these creations will NOT be limited in any way] and win one of the lovely beastly kin above. Second, third, and fourth place will win kin, but we may choose to make more concepts a reality!

Post your entries, max of three per person, to this thread using the following code.
This contest will end on January 16th at 10pm EST.

Code:

[align=center][color=orange][b][size=20]MY CREATION IS ALLIIIVVVEEE!!![/size][/b][/color][/align]
      [b]Pref List:[/b] HERE
      [b]Entry:[/b] HERE

Entries:

Entry By Ultima Vita
MY CREATION IS ALLIIIVVVEEE!!!

Pref List: custom, nom nom rawr, portrait of a hare, prince of fennecs, doe-eyed darling
Entry:

Horsefly
User Image

A flower adorns the tip of their tail, used to attract smaller bugs that they prey upon. The stingers in their mouths and front feet inject venom to disorient and weaken potential threats, as well as prey to feed upon. The sting or bite of a horsefly initially is quite painful, but the venom itself is a strong hallucinogen that some kin may find pleasant to experience. Their gossamer wings help them blend in with groups of ordinary butterflies.

Pretty like a butterfly, but stings like a bee
Venom pulsing through, what is this I see?
The trees have begun dancing, swinging to and fro
Lights are falling from the sky and bathe the swamp in glow
It's all become quite frightening, please make it go away
I promise as long as I live, with horseflies I won't play.

Entry By Gaufre

Pref List: prince of fennecs, doe-eyed darling, portrait of a hare, nom nom rawr
Entry:

The Axolob (Axolotl + Blob Fish)
      You imagine the cute would outweigh the ugly somehow, but it doesn't.

Entry By WitchWalk

Pref List: custom (if available), prince of fennecs, nom nom rawr, portrait of a hare, doe-eyed darling,
Entry:

Dwarvish Tapirs, also called 'Nightmare Eaters' by those who have seen them and realize they are a creature from an old story.

Images shown are of a baby Malayan Tapir, in which these creatures would be modeled after.

Dwarvish Tapirs reside in the swamps, forests, and jungle lands.

They are strictly herbivores and enjoy rooting up soft vegetation to eat, as well as fruits and berries if they are able to sniff it out with their tiny, trunk-like noses.

Despite their thick skin and bulkiness, the mini Tapir's tiny size leaves them open to many predators, such as Caiman and other carnivorous predators bigger than it -- which is a lot. Their numbers have been cut down, making them an odd sight. This is why most of these creatures have shifted to sleeping in the day time and rising at night, making them nocturnal.

Because these critters are so rarely seen in the daylight, many Kimeti who have come across them are rather startled to see these 'abnormal pigs' out and about. There is a story passed down that these creatures are supposedly 'nightmare eaters,' though no one can ever seem to recall the actual explanation as to why they're referred as such.

Surprisingly, they are quick to flee and are able to hide themselves very well if need be. They take shelter under thick undergrowth, or submerge themselves fully beneath the water if desperate to get away. If near a water source, they spend quite a bit of time in it.

This is a pretty basic first entry, but I have literally had this on my mind ever since there was a chat about familiars in the main thread. It's been stuck with me ever since. All of the information posted are based on the actual Tapirs.

Entry By LOLLI qAq

Pref List: Portrait of a Hare, Doe Eyed Darling, Nom Nom Rawr
Entry: Sugar pigeon.

Physical: A mix of a sugar glider and a rock pigeon. Size wise it's length is equal to that of a standard kimeti buck's. It has the general body of a sugar glider with a pigeon's tail and beak. The upper body has the sleek fur of a rodent with the lower half of the body and the face feathered. They mostly come in natural colors useful for camouflage among the trees of the swamp, but it's not uncommon to see brightly colored ones either.

Personality: They are naturally intelligent and curious creatures. Each tends, as far as the few kin who study them can tell, to have it's own very distinct personal behaviors and personality. They can be found living in small family clusters of 10-12 at a time, but aren't unwilling to leave to bond with individual kin. Like rats and kin they are omnivores.

Training: They can be trained! A benefit to their intelligence, small (but not tiny) size, and natural affinity for finding and returning to certain locations is that they can (with work) be trained to deliver small gifts and correspondences on dried bark to other parts of the swamp; every time returning to their home. Of course, anything larger than a human-fist sized rock is too heavy and could hurt the sugar pigeon.

User Image

Ugh. Please forgive the weird feather attempts. xD

Entry By Gene Wilder

Pref List: Prince of Fennecs, Portrait of a Hare, Doe-Eyed, Nom Nom
Entry: Falseface

User Image

Sometimes called "mask monsters" and "bogeymen", falsefaces are named for their distinct masks. No two masks are the same, but all bear the simplistic faces of various animals. Rather disturbingly, the mask seems to be fused to the skin so tightly that it's rumored that falsefaces have no actual face. Falsefaces are always solitary, and are never seen in groups. They can adapt to almost any environment, but prefer the swamps and deserts. They feast on both fresh and rotten flesh. Legend has it that whomever sees a falseface eating will be devoured in the dead of night.

Entry By Jynk

Pref List: fennecs, hare, doe-eyed, nom nom
Entry: Armored Anteater

User Image

This small creature has genetic lines tying it both to snails and reptiles, particularly turtles, which they closely resemble with their armored shells. They have six legs that allow them to be rather agile and quick as well as a long proboscis-like tongue that allows them to reach deep inside anthills and termite mounds. While they are primarily insectivores, they are also herbivores, known for eating berries, grasses, and bark if ants or termites are scarce. They're long, fleshy heads are reminiscent of their snail ancestors and have 4 slightly glowing eyes on either side to help them see in low-light and darkness since they are mostly a nocturnal species. When threatened, they will tuck their limbs and head within their shell, becoming a near-impenetrable hulk of shell and bone.

Shy and cautious, they mostly avoid larger animals and most kin have only ever heard their soft stomping steps in the darkness or caught a glimpse of their glowing eyes. This lends to a small legend about them being dream-eaters, since they only come out and night and the tongue was thought of to be able to reach inside the head of a sleeping kin to feed on their dreams. While this has later been proven false by curious kin that enjoy studying animals, many parents still use the legend to scare their young into behaving, lest the 'dream-eaters" come at night.

Armored Anteaters can be domesticated into pets by very patient and calm kin and do very well as pets. They can be trained to hunt for insects (having most success with those they feed on naturally) and some have even protected their owners if they have a close bond with the kin., though the effectiveness of this has mixed results since their fleshy heads are extremely vulnerable and they are no larger than a badger.

EDIT: Changed wording on the last sentence since badgers exist in Matope. :3

Entry By Ruriska

Pref List: Nom nom, Hare, Doe, Fennec
Entry:

Plague finds his father and Take Root together, deep in conversation. Even so, Buried Alive cuts himself off mid-sentence with a soft apology to his companion and turns his sightless gaze towards his son.

"Come, join us."

Quote:
The Greater Cave Worm
See also: Cave Worm, Death Worm, Really Big Worm Thing

It is not only the Zikwa and their bats that dwell beneath the earth; many a strange variety of creatures slithers and crawls in the dark. One such being is stranger than most and features heavily in Zikwa lore; The Greater Cave Worm.

A large insect that can reach two metres in length. Unlike the smaller worms that dwell throughout the caves, the Greater Cave Worm has a multitude of small clawed appendages that carry it through the underground with a surprising swiftness. They can scale vertical walls and can sometimes be found hanging from the ceiling, weaving silken egg sacs.

"I’m a father now," Plague explains after the pleasantries are through, shuffling a little with embarrassment but mostly with pride, "I want to know more about where you come from and about… us, I suppose."

Take Root smiles and Buried Alive is nodding in slow appreciation.

"Anything in particular?" The older Zikwa asks.

"Anything will do. The first thing that comes to mind."

Quote:
Incapable of sight, they communicate with the world around them in much the same way the Zikwa do, with a keen sense of smell and the ability to sense temperatures (though to a much finer degree than the ungulates they share their caves with). They also sport two long antenna and have absolutely no trouble navigating the pitch black.

Though rarely seem in daylight, they come in a wide variety of colours, with younger worms tending to be dull and the older ones vibrant in their patterned displays. Where, how or when they’d show this off to anyone (considering they themselves are blind) is unknown.

In fact, most of their patterns and behaviours are still much of a mystery, but the Zikwa accept their presence as works of the Motherfather.

"The cave is warm and wet and though death is something to be celebrated, once the spirit is gone, there is only the flesh left behind and that soon begins to rot."

Plague looks slightly nervous about the lore his father has started to tell but Buried Alive is smiling as he speaks and Take Root has closed her eyes to listen intently.

"Some of us, those who felt their time and had the desire, travel to the surface and nourish the Swamp with their bodies, but for the rest of us, we who have been born below ground, also end it there. Not so much now, I suppose."

The last spoken in wry amusement, considering their position on a damp, grass covered knoll in bright sunlight.

"But the MotherFather has her ways and so she sends her worms to us."

Plague shudders.

Quote:
The Greater Cave Worm exclusively eats dead and rotting flesh. When they catch the whiff of a new carcass, they swarm en masse and within a few days all that is left are bones. They are the cleaners of the cave and their leavings help nourish multiple types of fungi.

"As the spirit is set free, so too is the body."

"By worms?"

"Yes, the Greater Cave Worms."

"Though we also call them Death Worms." Take Root supplies helpfully.

"H-How big are they?"

Buried Alive shrugs and Take Root answers.

"Not exactly big as much as long. The biggest are sometimes two Zikwa lengths long, but most are half that much and they're rather slim."

"And you just let them eat the bodies?"

"Of course." Both of the older kin seem genuinely surprised by his revulsion. "The Death Worms are sacred."

"And they make great companions too." Take Root says, her eyes lighting up fondly. "It just takes time to earn their trust and grow worthy of one."

Quote:
While the Greater Cave Worms have a tendency to ignore everyone as they go about their business, including their own species, some will occasionally take a liking to particular Zikwa and proceed to follow them throughout the caves.

It’s impossible to know exactly how intelligent they are and they rarely respond to stimuli, unless it’s in the form of food. You can’t teach them tricks and they’re hardly a warm, fluffy companion.

They make up for it with dogged loyalty and a powerful defensive response when their charge is in danger. Jaws usually used to tear away dead flesh, will dig into an enemy and refuse to let go. The claws on their many appendages are equally deadly.

When angered, they secrete a particularly pungent and very unpleasant odour.

"I’ve heard," Buried Alive says thoughtfully, "that some of them have been seen coming to the surface recently. I was about to tell you, Take Root. Thus Plague’s arrival was quite fortuitous."

"I would like to see one again," Take Root stares into the distance, as if hoping one would crawl up out of the underbrush. She has not gone below ground again since her arrival up top.

Plague would rather not think about them anymore.

"How about a new topic?" He suggests.

"Ah yes," Buried Alive grins. "Some of the funeral chats seem appropriate. Once I am gone, I hope you will sing one for me."

"Oh, o-okay."

Quote:
There are many songs and stores about these Death Worms; of their creation, of how the Motherfather made them from the earth and touched them with beauty and then sent them back into the ground to safeguard the last of her children. They are good omens, guides in the darkness, carriers of the dead, guardians of the dwellers beneath and the Zikwa treat them with fond reverence.

[Concept based on Velvet Cave Worms, so yeah, little walkie worms except in this case, not so little.

Entry By The Cake Mage of Sheep

Pref List: nom nom rawr, doe-eyed darling, prince of fennecs, portrait of a hare
Entry: Catterpede
Catterpedes are about as long as a snake and generally very colorful, mimicking the bright colors of poisonous insects most often. They are mammals with a feline-like head, long body and tail and many pairs of short stubby legs. The tail is generally three fourths the length of their body. They've got short, sleek fur, similar to an aquatic mammal, as they're favorite prey are small fish and insects that live in shallow streams.
Catterpedes tend to be excitable and playful, easily befriended by kin. Wild catterpedes can be seen playing with each other, otters and mongeese. Even kin. They avoid most other creatures in play, but rarely show fear. Very few predators hunt them, aside from their false poison warning catterpedes are quick and agile, and small enough to slip into almost any hidey-hole.
Drawing not to scale for an adult. Probably not even a cub. Unless it's a big mushroom.
User Image

Entry By musicaloner7

Pref List: custom, fennec, portrait of a hare, doe-eyed darling, nomnom rawr.
Entry: mudfluffy {this is an albino one }

User Image
- Under its gills are a fluff that allow it to be able to go on land and regulate air to breathe as they would in water.
- While they can stay out of water for long periods of time, they still need moisture to keep from drying out.
- Rather docile in nature, they can be shy as well around larger beings, but aren't typically hostile in most cases.
- Quite small like most salamanders, they can be commonly found any place with water, and are sometimes easily spotted as they like to let their heads bob above the surface to dry their fluff.
- They'll eat just about anything smaller than themselves, typically smaller water dwellers and insects/bugs.
- Being nocturnal they don't enjoy bright light, and find happiness within darkness and the shade.

Entry By Blinded By Silence
Reposting this, like you asked Blue.

Pref List: Custom | Fennec | NomNom | Hare | Doe-Eyed
Entry:

Bog Walkers are very small creatures who are thought of by kin as mystical beings and are named protectors of the Swamp's waters sent to Matope by the MotherFather themselves. In stories, they symbolize balance and purity and often have voices eerily similar to that of kin. Some think they are one of the MotherFather's missing children, while others speculate that they are related to dragons.

In reality, Bog Walkers are animals about the size of a small owlcat whose most noticeable traits are their incredibly long limbs which end in webbed toes 6-8 inces long. These large feet, coupled with their long, rudder-like tails, hollow bones, and beautiful back-sails allow this creature an ability that probably gave it the ethereal impression. By secreting a special oil from the skin on their feet these amazing beings can actually walk on the surface of calm water. Bog Walkers do not actually speak like kin do, in fact they communicate more through body language, all of their emotion displays through their sails, when the wind blows through their long, oddly shaped horns, the sound that emits is eerily similar to their whale-song.

Bog Walkers spend their days floating on lily pads and skimming the waters surface with their large eyes aglow, searching the bog's murky depths. They eat mostly algae and other water vegetation, and favor clean, clear waters. It is often observed that Bog Walkers tend their waters, keeping them clean and pristine.

User Image

Entry By Patmos of Endtimes

Pref List: Fennec, Portrait, Nom Nom, Darling
Entry: The Pygmy Giraffe
User Image
From the same habitat as the mini-lions, these adorable little things will help graze what you need grazing.

(Don't worry. Pretty sure none of them are evil.)

Entry By Sarano_Krem

Pref List: custom lineart, portrait of a hare
Entry: Hyenas!!!!

Hyenas are pack animals that work in groups called clans, with each clan controlling its own territory. being a pack animal, hyenas are the perfect fit for the tribal society within Matope. Hyenas communciate in various ways, from a variety of vocal calls to certain postures or signals. The tail is one the hyena's main forms of non-verbal communication. When the tail is pointed straight back, the hyena feels threatened and is ready to attack. when downward, the hyena is walking about lesiurely. a hyena's tail will stand straight upward when they are extremely excited. the calls they make include wailing calls, howling screams, and an alert to other clan members of nearby food, commonly recognized as their trademark laugh.

Hyenas have strong jaws, and they use those jaws to eat a wide variety of food from bones to animals both small and large. the female members of the species are actually larger than their male countrepart, most likely to protect their young, as hyenas are known to be cannibalistic. Hyenas usually have a litter of between 2 and 4 cubs. The cubs are then nursed for about 14 months since most kills happen far away from the clan's den and hyena eat everything from the kill and don't bring anything back for their young.

Hyena ref pics

(super sorry for the long post)

Entry: The Crane-Eagle
User Image
Tipsy nudged the salamander away, letting it return to the remainder of her tribe. It slipped out from under the stone basin of hot drink, leaving a regular fire behind in the logs and sticks beneath the bowl, and slithering off into the night. She crossed her front legs and smiled at her children, who were gathered on this cold night for a story. This was, to them, a new one.

"At one point, long ago, the moon was much bigger, closer. It hung in the sky like a large fruit, perfect and ripe when full. But when it was but a crescent, it became a snake, and the snake would, the next night, slither down from the sky, leaving the moon dark.

"It came through the mountains first, and tried to eat the lambs of the totoma, but could not sneak through the guard of the adults and went back to the moon angry. The next month, the moonsnake came down into caves under the mountains to eat the young of the zikwa, but they were too well hidden, and so the snake went home in a rage, turning the moon red. When next the cycle came around, in frustration, the great snake went into the swamp, and here it found easier prey. The clutches of kimeti sacs were largely unprotected, and it ate its fill, then went back to the moon, satisfied.

"And so the snake did not bother the world for a year and a month, but then it grew hungry again. It went to the swamp, but found now that the sacs were coated now in a sticky gunk that choked it, and so it had to abandon them. The next month, it went out to the plains, and again it found easy prey in the young of the kiokote. Full once more, the moonsnake returned to the sky and slept for a year and a month.

"When hungry again, it came down to the kiokote plains, but the hatching season was over, and the babies were too fast to be caught. Tired, the moonsnake went back to the moon, and turned it blue with exhaustion. The next cycle passed, and now it turned its hungry gaze to the desert, and the beautiful, perfect eggs of the acha there."

Her children gasped, for they all well knew that indeed acha eggs were the most perfect and beautiful, and the thought of even one being eaten by a giant snake was terrifying. Tipsy nodded and went on, "But only a few eggs were lost to it, because several stars in the south came down, the constellation of the crane-eagle, warrior of the Motherfather, and took on the form of a great crane-eagle. It fought the moonsnake fiercely, then with a mighty fist struck the beast down."

Tipsy's children cheered. "And from then on, the children of the mighty crane-eagle worked to always protect babies everywhere from the wild snakes."

Aaaand my last one...

Entry: Wandering Bower
User Image
Wandering Bowers are a large mammal, tall but slow and lazy. Adults come in many sizes, from acha-sized to behemoths the size of a small island, though the domesticated type are only slightly larger than a kimeti or smaller. Their natural habitat is the swamp, where they migrate with glacial speed through the deeper water, feeding on tender water plants, roots, new shoots and leaves, insects like water-skippers and grubs in rotten logs, small fish, and water-carrion. Their thick fur has hooks to trap soil from the water, filtering it out, accumulating it atop their tough hides to grow reeds and other shallow-water plants. They often attract little birds to build nests on them, and are masters of camouflage.

While lazy and slow as sloths, they may actually be very intelligent. They will tuck young plants into their soil, and go out of their way to avoid conflicts among other species, even before other creatures may know such a thing is near. Their large, fan-like ears can hear for miles, and sometimes it seems like they are prescient.

They did originate in the swamp, but they have in recent times become more active and spread out. They can run awfully fast when out in the open, on the plains and in the desert, and the ones that have moved out there have adopted native plants. They can climb mountains, and sometimes do in the summer, moving with migrating birds. The larger ones travel farther, and have not been seen to care much for kin, actively avoiding them and merely travelling at their leisure.

Domestic Bowers will gladly carry anything their caretakers ask of them that they are capable of carrying, and can even be moving gardens. They rather enjoy getting planted, and in exchange they can be fierce if inefficient protectors. Their vocalizations are rather musical, like wolves mixed with whales, and they enjoy kinsong.

Entry By Astraea Pandora

Pref List: Doe, Hare, Fennec, Nom Nom
Entry: Quolari (Kw-oh-lar-e)

User Image

A ground, desert dwelling, carnivorous animal, living either in its own dug burrow or in the hole of another. These animals are about the size of a ramcat when full grown with the males somewhat larger than females. Its face is made up of a moist pink nose, tall, rounded ears, a thick snout and a mouth that can open wide to show a lot of sharp teeth. They have great hearing, and the ears also allow the Quolari to lose heat, a kind of thermoregulation. To help it survive in the arid conditions the Quolari inhabits, it gets most of its moisture from the food it eats. They're a fierce predator on insects, the larger arthropods, and small vertebrates.

When approached, Quolari are very aggressive with much hissing, chattering and thrashing of its tail. The long tail is not prehensile, meaning it is not used like a fifth leg or arm in climbing. They're solitary creatures, only coming together to mate.

Thank you mother nature for making neat critters to frankenstein together and thank you Australia for giving them neat names to frankenstein together. And big thanks to Patmos who patiently patted my head as I whined about how hard Photoshop is. It's so hard ; 0 ;

Entry By Minsuil

Pref List: Prince of Fennecs, Portrait of a Hair, Doe-Eyed Darling
Entry: Wisp-Crow - Birds the size and build of crows. Their most prominent feature is the blue fire that seems to emanate off them, or in some cases, that they seem to be comprised of. The flame is akin to will-o-wisps. The birds are often found near carrion, and water. They linger in the mists and are rarely seen in sunlight. Often, they gather near areas where water is still. Few see them as they make their homes in the farthest corner of the swamp.

There are many legends surrounding the crows. Some believe that they are the souls of the dead that linger near corpses. Others say they are guides from the Motherfather, to lead kin out of danger and to safety. Still others claim that these birds are of malicious origin and that they will lead unwary kin to their deaths. Their reappearance in the swamp is often interpreted as a change in the balance of things. And certainly, this is true with the arrival of other species. But if they are a good omen or a bad one remains to be seen.

And while most see a bird shrouded in fire, it is said that dream seers will see a skeletal being beyond description.

Entry By Araucana
I was going to draw accompanying illustrations for my entries but as the cut off looms closer and I've been feeling a bit unwell, I think I'll just present with photos instead. heart

My idea was to introduce some of my favourite Australian animals into metope, starting with... the bilby!

Pref List: Prince of Fennecs, Portrait of a Hare, Doe-Eyed Darling, Nom Nom Rawr.
Entry:

Bilby / Bilbies

♥ Nocturnal desert-dwelling marsupials.

♥ Large soft ears, long muzzle and a long distinctive tail.

♥ Rare, bilbies are seldom seen, though their borrows were not an unusual sight for the well traveled acha. However since the domesticating of sand dogs, their numbers have been slowly but steadily increasing.

♥ Excellent burrowers, bilbies build extensive tunnel systems with their strong forelimbs and claws. A single bilgy may make up to a dozen of burrows within it’s home range, using the tunnels to shelter from both predators and the heat of the day.

♥ Easily frightened, it can be difficult to even approach a bilby, let alone befriend one. However they are rather curious creatures and with a little coaxing, can become as affectionate as any foxbun might be.

♥ Bilbies yet all the moisture they need from their food which consists of insects, insect larvae, seeds, spiders, plant roots/bulbs and very occasionally, small animals. They also enjoy fruit, though it is not a part of their usual diet.

♥ Being marsupials, a female bilbies have a pouch to carry their young that faces backwards to prevent dirt form getting in it as she digs.

Bilbies are probably my favourite of Australian native animals and I’ve adored them from an early age. I’d choose an Easter Bilby over an Easter Bunny any day! ;P

(What’s that? You need MORE, MORE, MORE bilby photos? Very well! I'm happy to oblige~)

Entry By Kamileunaire
Pref List: nom nom, fennec, hare
Entry: Chirpthief

The best description one could possibly come up with for these noisy little beasts is a cross between a scrawny chicken and a very aggressive lizard. Standing at about three feet on the large side, they have the face, forelimbs, and long tail of a reptile, but the body and feathered covering of a bird. Their most defining physical trait, however, is their wild colors, which can vary, but are almost always bright. Though they fail at blending in with the drab surroundings of the swamp, their vibrant coloration is justified; for some reason (many kin surmise that it has something to do with their diet), the oily secretions they use to keep their feathers healthy are extremely unpleasant to taste, and can be deadly if enough of their flesh is consumed. Their bright colors serve as a warning to any potential predators to stay away. They are swift runners and mostly terrestrial, but their claws and small wings give them some upward mobility, allowing them to go up into trees in search of food, and being able to take short, clumsy glides.

Chirpthieves gained their name for reasons that become quite obvious once you get the chance to observe them. They travel about in small family groups of anywhere from 2-5 individuals (sometimes more), and they rarely remain quiet. Though their own individual calls are nowhere near as pleasant as a regular songbird's might be, they also have a limited ability to mimic other birds, which they use sometimes to aid in hunting. While they have the ability to be swift and agile hunters, they are not renowned for this. Chirpthives instead have the notorious penchant of stealing anything that seems to catch their eye, whether it's edible or not. Eggs, shiny baubles, and anything else that manages to draw attention are all fair game, and they have a reputation for being scavengers more than anything. They have also been known to go after unhatched Kin if their sacs or eggs are within reach, as these make an easy meal.

Chirpthieves can flourish almost anywhere except areas with extreme temperatures. While they are primarily found in swampy territory, it isn't unheard of for small packs to be seen roaming the plains, or the foothills around the mountains. They do best in warm humidity, and prefer areas with a good amount of plant material that they can use to build their nests, which they guard ferociously. Kin who manage to tame these creatures find themselves with incredibly loyal but annoying companions, as they can rarely be broken out of their habit of stealing things. Some Kin use this talent to their advantage, however....

Entry By Amorpheous

Pref List: Hare, Nom Nom, Fennec, Doe
Entry: Singing Sky Beast from the Sea (Sky Whales....)

User Image

Before the zikwa rose out of the ground, some of the old stories said that they had disappeared into the water. Few dare to venture out into the unknown depths of the ocean and even then, what lurks there largely remain a mystery. It was a strange day when, on the horizon, new forms could be seen hovering. Closer and closer these forms drew to the shore and when they were spotted by the Tidewalkers, it was they that knew that these creatures had risen from the sea.

These strange creatures are quite large, slightly longer and wider than kimeti; they would be unwieldy if they were any larger, but they are just on the side of manageable. Much of their large belly is hollow and filled with air which allows them to float through the skies. They primarily eat vegetation, but if they are by the water, they will skim small creatures out of the water. Their song is similar to that of the kimeti and can often be found singing back to kimeti though neither can understand the language of the other.

Calm creatures with a depth of emotion that can be frightening or wonderful, since coming in from the ocean they can often be found floating above the trees in medium sized pods, but they can be wooed into being faithful companions.

Entry: Shade Warden

User Image

Small, waif-like creatures, between a quarter and half the size of the zikwa, the Cave Warden tend to lurk against the cave walls and occasionally flit between the limbs of the other creatures living in the caves. So thin and insubstantial are they that they can barely be perceived when they brush past. It is this trait that gives them their name as they seem no more substantial than a shadow on a wall. Living in the dark of the cave, they too are hairless and, in an extreme twist of adaptation, they are almost completely translucent in some places. They tend to the plant life in the caves especially the bio-luminescent mushrooms, often moving them from place to place to bring light into the darkness. These mushrooms also serve as the bulk of their diets to the point that they have absorbed some of the mushrooms' ability to glow in the dark. In particular, their hearts have taken on a glow which can be observed through their chests. With sightless, filmed over eyes, they rely on their sense of hearing to navigate their surroundings. They have begun surfacing, following select zikwa they have befriended, and have brought their bio-luminescent mushrooms with them.

Entry: Armored Dogs

User Image

In the harsh environment of the mountains, the totoma grew armor to survive. The wolves were natural enemies, competitors for resources, but some tribes grew to think of them as potential allies in the vicious wars waged against other tribes. One tribe in particular began to tame the wolves and as they turned the cautious wolves into loyal warriors, they chose only to support the toughest of lines. As time passed, it seemed the same environment that pushed the totoma to grow armor also pushed the now-tamed wolves to grow armor to protect themselves in battle. Few lived to tell the tale of these armored canines and those who did were often assimilated into the tribe. It is only now that the secrets of these warrior companions has begun to spread beyond the tribe and into the Swamp. They have little tolerance for weakness and will only show loyalty to those who have proved their strength.

Entry By Lural

Pref List: Prince of fennecs, portrait of a hare
Entry: Maw Fish (Angler fish, but as Kin probably don't have "Anglers" I went with a more world appropriate name)

Maw Fish are almost not classified as fish, as they do not need to live in water. They are capable of limited flight which they will primarily use when moving from one hunting spot to another, or when attempting to hunt for small birds. They are typically docile and prefer to expend energy only on eating.

Habitat: These fish are known to live deep in caves where there is running water or underground springs. They prefer dark areas because their glowing lure is more effective. However it is not unheard of to see these fish out in the darker parts of the swamp. They primarily live in the water, but can exist outside the water, specifically while hunting.

Diet: Largely insectivores, but will eat other fish or small birds and mammals.

Hunting: Maw Fish have a single glowing orb protruding from a long slender arm which they use to attract prey to them. Some kin theorize that this works because the glowing organ looks like a firefly or glow worm that attract others to it, or to entice smaller animals that would eat the same insects. Maw Fish can sort of "fly" which allows them to hunt fireflies and small birds more effectively. They will draw their glowing appendage right into their mouth if they think what they are hunting will follow the glow into it's mouth.

Size: Typical Maw Fish are a little larger then a Kimeti's head.

Breeding: All known Maw Fish are female. Males are tiny parasites that only live in water, and attach to the female when it's breeding season.

Images, spoilered.

First a few real anglers, I imagine the Maw Fish to have this body shape
real fish 1
real fish 2
real fish 3

But with a longer appendage like the artistic versions I yanked off google. This allows them to draw their prey right into their mouth without having to move too much.
artist render 1
artist render 2

The art is not mine, simply using it as a reference for length of the glowing appendage.

Legend:
It is said that once, long ago that the Maw Fish used to live beside the Motherfather. They could often be seen in the darkest nights streaking across the skies. They were tasked with devouring all that would bring harm to the swamp and the Motherfather's beautiful creations, and so the glowing fish would zip this way and that, making sure nothing bad befell the swamp or her inhabitants.

One day, as these fish were going about their task, one accidentally ate some of the fireflies in the sky. The fish was ashamed, and wanted to hide this from the Motherfather, but also found the glowing bugs delectable. In secret, the fish began trying to lure the fireflies into it's mouth. It would hide against the blackness of the sky, drawing it's glowing appendage close until it could consume whatever came near it.

The Motherfather found out what the Maw Fish was doing and banished from her skies. Not wanting their kin to be alone, many others left, and eventually took refuge deep in the darkest caves where they began hunting the glowing worms that lived there. Very few Maw Fish stayed with the Motherfather. This is why seeing a light streaking across the sky is so rare, but seeing one is supposed to ensure a year of good fortune, as the Maw Fish is to devour all that would bring you harm.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:47 am
Entry By Araucana

Pref List: Prince of Fennecs, Portrait of a Hare, Doe-Eyed Darling, Nom Nom Rawr.
Entry:

Platypus

♥ River-dwelling semiaquatic egg-laying mammal.

♥ Large rubbery snout, webbed otter-like feet and a thick tail for fat storage.

♥ Their snouts are used to “sense” their pray, something that has long been a marvel to the kimeti. When a platypus hunts, it closes it’s eyes, ears and nose to dive into the river depths and seek it’s prey. It is thought that the motherfather blessed the Platypus with some kind of divine sight.

♥ Living in select areas of the swamp, platypus are about the size of puppies and have no storage of natural predators including snakes, owls and crocodiles, which have kept their population levels low.

♥ However platypus are far from defenceless and have venomous spurs that is powerful enough to cause certain death in medium sized animals. The venom causes excruciating pain and swelling that gradually spreads though out the infected limb. Should the infection be survived, the pain develops into a long-lasting heightened sensitivity to pain that persists from anywhere between days and months.

♥ Despite their dangers, platypus are not aggressive, and are in fact playful, affectionate little creatures when tame, enjoying belly rubs and snuggles with their companion. Platypus are best bonded with when very young as they are difficult to tame as adults. Many would be consider foolish to persist with an adult, with such painful repercussions possible but it's not entirely impossible either.

♥ Platypus young hatch from eggs and are born blind and hairless. They rely on their mother’s milk and the safety of her burrow for up to three to four months, after which they emerge and swim along side there mother.

♥ There are many myths surrounding the platypus in the swamp, some tell of the great blessing of “sense”bestowed by motherfather, with varying accounts of how the platypus came to recieve it. Other tales carry a strong message or warning about never underestimating even the most unassuming creature, for what can at first glance might seem like easy prey can in turn into a grave, painful mistake.

PLATYPUS LOVE. They are one of the most interesting animals that I can think of. >u<

(ONE, TWO. Oh! And the video the top gif is from, plus another for good measure♥)

Entry By Lural

Pref List: Prince of fennecs, portrait of a hare
Entry: Hawk Lizard (Like the Archaeopteryx, but with a world friendly name, and my own twists)

Habitat: Deep in the heart of the swamp, where few kin venture, and fewer escape is the 'Black pond.' The surface of the pond shimmers like water, but when unsuspecting kin, or other animals wander too close to the water, they find themselves stuck and sinking. The more they struggle the more they sink. The Hawk Lizards call this horrid place home. These feathered lizards are able to glide from tree to tree and avoid the dangers of the black pond, though they are also light and quick enough that they can skirt over the surface of the pond for short distances. None but the most fool-hearty would dare try to run across it's center.

Diet: Carnivorous. Small rodents are the typical diet, though if something larger wanders into the black pond, bands of Hawk Lizards will swarm in to kill and eat it before it sinks completely.

Hunting: Usually solo hunters, these bird-like lizards can run moderately fast over long distances to chase prey as large as a boar. They will hunt in pairs, or even small flocks when going after larger game, though rarely will there be more then 10 on a hunt, and even that is rare.

Hawk Lizards have sharps clawed "fingers" at the end of their wings which they will use to blind and scratch animals. They also have sharp claws on their feet and their beaks are filled with needle sharp teeth.

Size: From head to toe, Hawk Lizards can grow as tall as a Kimeti's shoulder, and from beak to tail feathers may be as long as an average Kimeti's tail.

Temperament: Hawk Lizards are hard to tame. They often have a nasty disposition and are highly food aggressive. They are proud and smart, offering them food will result in being snubbed, and possibly later, robbed of your food.

Some believe they are related to the feathered serpents, but that is up for debate.

Entry By Maxx D

Pref List: Portrait of a Hare
Entry:
A carnivorous creature most frequently seen in muddy regions of the swamp, crawling and splishing along the banks to hunt for insects, worms, small crustaceans and decaying flesh. Though able to swim, they prefer to float than be swept away by the tide. They inflate to travel by riding the breeze and when startled or angered.

The Noot Noot is named for the sounds it makes, especially as they gather for mating season. A chorus of Noot Noots can be heard several miles from the banks when the time is right.

Entry:
The Swamp Blorp, named for its squishy properties and its tendency to scare Kin by rising from a pile of muck, is highly malleable and slightly translucent, blorping its way across the swamp presumably in search of food. Its outside seems to be a thick jelly-like wall holding its insides in, and it appears to chooses to be absorbent or solid at will. No one knows much about Swamp Blorp and due to its absorbent properties, Kin are sometimes reluctant to approach it.

[PS: It's kinda an oversized swamp amoeba I guess]

Entry:
Who knows what this strange tiny creature is? Its existence is so improbable that the Kin (un)fortunate enough to encounter it are often convinced it is a figment of their imagination...

Entry By Jun D

Pref List: doe-eyed darling, portrait of a hare, nom nom rawr, prince of fennecs
Entry: From the field notes of Sleepless, researcher extraordinaire...
User Image
Possible Name: Fermit (frog plus hermit (crab)?)
Day 1: Very strange! Obviously resembles frog, but six legs?! Also shell on back - sometimes different types so maybe separate like hermit crab rather than snail. Bigger than usual frogs - about one-and-a-half hooves long. Very still. Think it might be hoping I have not seen it and will go away. Considering gently poking it.
Update: Will poke it.
Update: IT RAN AWAY. DID NOT HOP AWAY. STOOD UP - VERY TALL AT FULL HEIGHT (about two hooves) - SCUTTLED AWAY. NOT FROG.
User Image

Pref List: doe-eyed darling, portrait of a hare, nom nom rawr, prince of fennecs
Entry: From the field notes of Sleepless, researcher extraordinaire... (If she were able to visit the Acha's desert fringes, that is.)
User Image
Possible Name: Killbird (or Warbird for Warrior Bird, if Killbird for KILLER BIRD is too unscientific)
Day 1: Pretty! Almost as tall as kimeti. Wings face forward unlike other birds, end in three talons. Flightless? Tail fans out. Probably courting display. Eyes appear reptilian in nature, interesting.
Update: DO NOT APPROACH. HUNTING BIRDS. VERY DEADLY. VERY FAST. Kills with beak, wing-talons, talon-talons - everything. Teeth in beak. Many teeth. Can briefly glide with wings spread - to catch and kill. Tail fans out - to stun and kill. Much kill. DANGER.
User Image

Entry: From the field notes of Sleepless, researcher extraordinaire... (If she were able to visit the Totoma's snowy tundras, that is.)
User Image
Possible Name: Bundra (or just Bun, local Totoma have referred to them as tundra buns, Arctic Bundra?)
Day 1: So cute!!! Like bunny buns. About two hoofs long - all around. Fur looks thick and plush. Have seen them hop: no observable limbs? Seems to achieve movement by mobilizing whole mass. Barely visible tail bump. Clusters in large packs. Want to pet one sooo baaad. Local Totoma have warned against approaching, however, so will hold off and just observe for now.
Update: OH MY DEAREST SWAMPMOTHER WHAT ARE THESE CREATURES?!?! CAN NOW SEE WHY LOCAL TOTOMA WARNED AGAINST APPROACHING: OMNIVOROUS DIET - AS IN, EATS EVERYTHING IN THEIR WAY. SWARMS TO HUNT, ACHIEVING GREAT SPEED AND HEIGHT, HE HAD NO CHANCE, NO CHANCE AT ALL. AND IF THEY FIND WHERE I AM HIDING... MOTHERFATHER, PLEASE PRESERVE ME -
User Image

Entry By Aric Val

Pref List: Fennec, Hare, Doe
Entry:
Leafies and Weedies

User Image

Not much is known about these creatures. The stories say that they were once muddy and blended into the waters of the swamp. But then evolved, their leafy appendages allowed them to glide the air (pausing sometimes to settle in the water or on the ground), and grew breathing apparatuses that let them breathe above water.

The creatures are quite small, the widest being around a full-grown kimeti's face. They aren't necessarily helpful, their appendages cant really grip anything too firmly, but they are are said to be good gatherers of herbs and flowers.

Since they are small and quite delicate, vulnerable to winters and change in seasons, they are a little skittish when it's not of their kind, hiding on trees and bushes to disguise themselves. But once you do befriend one, they are very loyal and would settle upon the neck of any kin as they travel.

Entry:
Eye-Monkey's

User Image

Once very tiny and rodent-like creatures that clung to branches of the high trees of the swamp, the monkeys grew in size and adapted to their environment. Their short close-cut fur became thicker to withstand the harsh winters of the swamp and to defend themselves from the insects that would attack them, long nimble fingers that are made for leaping and a long fluffy tail to grip at tree trunks and branches quickly to avoid predators.

They are small primate animals with enormous eyes that glow in the dark; each eyeball is as large as its entire brain. They also an incredibly strong auditory sense and have perfect sight. As nocturnal creatures their eyes have much advantage than their larger predators, able to see as clear as day in the pitch black night. This makes them a very good guide for a kin if they were walking down a very dark path or travelling in the nighttime.

The are entirely carnivorous, catching insects and other prey by simply jumping at them. Their nimble and skillful hands, though small, can be useful for most types of activities. They may be good hunters but probably aren't suited for delicate kind of work.

Based on Tarsiers.

Entry:
Wooly Giant

User Image

There have been many myths of these creatures, passed on from kin to kin. Older stories spoke of these wooly creatures as giants that roamed alongside the totomas, fierce and powerful creatures that stood the test of time--- till one day they disappeared and left no traces but their shed trunks on the icy snow.

But at present, recently smaller creatures that looked like these creatures began to emerge, though smaller in size, about 3/4ths of a grown totoma. They have grown strong armour around their faces and thicker coats that make up for their smaller size compared to their ancestors. They communicate with kin through making low sounds with their nose. And even with their stature and-- quite cuddly appearance, these wooly "giant's" are still as confident and fierce creatures as their ancestors.

Entry By Astraea Pandora

Pref List: Doe, Hare, Fennec, Nom Nom
Entry: Flutterhum or Hummingfly

User Image

These creatures are vivid. A little larger then a humming bird and can be just as brightly colored. The differences is that each feather of a (name)'s wing is delicately patterned and when the wing arcs up in the flapping motion, the illusion of a butterfly's wing is seen. They drink flower nectar and berry juices, so they can live about anywhere.

It was thought that these creatures only lived in dreams, but recently the residents of the swamp began to claim to see these creatures flitting through swamp. Are their appearance in the swamp a sign of something wrong in the ever changing dreamscape beyond sleep? Or did some simply slip through along side long traveled dreamers recently awoken?

Entry By Prolixity
WOOP ALMOST MISSED IT

Pref List: Prince of Fennecs, Nom Nom Rawr, Portrait of a Hare
Entry:

disclaimer: this is a joke don't kill me Rejam said I could

here's the real entry
Mantox: An amphibious creature found primarily in salt marshes and around deltas, about a meter long from mouth to tail. Eats fish, insects, algae, and waterweed. When submerged, it tucks its legs against its body and moves by rippling its fins, and its gillflaps open, allowing it to remain underwater indefinitely. It can survive out of water for up to a week, but must eventually return to water to keep its gills from drying and cracking.

It has fine, short, sleek fur that lies close to its body, and preens its fur regularly with oil from glands in its paws and under its chin. It can chatter or click softly, but is incapable of very loud vocalizations. It is fairly bright and mischievous, having intelligence comparable to a young foal, and may play hide-and-seek with kin in its territory.

Entry By Vesperiie

Pref List: Nom nom, fennecs, hare, doe-eyed darling
Entry: "Squirt? SQUIIIIIIIRRRRT~"

The doe's singsong voice rang innocently enough through the mangroves. Somewhere in the underbrush, the foxbun in question shuddered twitchily where he cowered. Hide and seek was not his favorite game.

But it was Berryjuice's. "Come out, come out, wherever you are!" she giggled, happily pulling aside tree branches and ducking under bushes. Now where could he have-THERE! A small scrabbling shadow.

"Found you!" she exclaimed, gleefully giving chase. She could hear the foxbun, hidden from view by the brush, scurrying away as fast as his paws could carry him, but she had searched the area thoroughly and knew what lay ahead. When the shadow darted into the gap between two spread mangrove roots, cornered at last, she grinned.

Skulking forward, ready to pounce, she cried: "I've got you nowWAAAAAHHHH!"

Her shriek brought the actual foxbun out from hiding, bounding to his owner's side. Berryjuice was cowering back from the mangrove's roots, wide eyed fear only half exaggerated. Curious, the foxbun nudged his way closer, even as Juice cried out a warning.

In the shadowy crack between the mangrove roots, he saw something quite strange. A ball of twigs? All pointed outward? He sniffed it warily. It was warm. And then he realized, here was something that might teach his naive master to play nice.

A hedgehog!

Entry By Tiarana

Pref List: prince of fennec, portrait of a hare, nom nom rawr, doe-eyed darling
Entry:
User Image

Swamp vultures are fairly large, imposing birds, large enough to fight with caiman over their kills and scare away lesser birds and other scavengers. They feed primarily on carrion, though they are occasionally observed eating rotting fruit and other refuse. They have a highly developed sense of smell allowing them to detect the odor of rot from a mile or more away, along with good eyesight to scope out what other vultures are up to. Vultures make for generally poor (if not downright dangerous to health) companion animals, but can be trained to lead kin to fresh kills.

Entry By Sareibear

Pref List: Prince of Fennecs, Doe-eyed Darling, Nom Nom Rawr, Portrait of a Hare
Entry:

Species; Deerhound!

Reference Image;User Image

The Totoma were the first to tell of them. Come down from the North, they would spread stories of the strange creatures that were sometimes known to guide kin that were lost to safety. Although these creatures were a bit of a mystery even to the Totoma, there have been a few that had been known to take enough liking to a certain kin, and would accompany it in hunting, battle, and in day-to-day tasks.

They came from the mountains, these beasts a size to rival many kin, their strange mixture of antler-ridden heads and shaggy-furred bodies similar to Wolves and Rox and the Sand-dogs of the deserts.

Deerhounds were what the Totoma came to call them, and that was the name they passed along in their stories. Much of their habits and life not alongside kin remains a mystery, though perhaps with the population ever-growing, they will soon become better known in the swamp world.

Entry By Chrystali

Entry: Sugarbun
Habitat: Anywhere that has high trees with hard to reach fruit; tropical climates. Abundant in the Swamp and Desert.
Diet: Insects, fruits, leaves.
Temperament: Easily spooked, cautious, flight over fight. Loyal and affectionate when tamed. They can glide short distances beneath the treeline, but when above, can soar for longer periods of time.
About: This skittish little rodent is a hybrid of a sugar glider and a rabbit, as varied as it sounds: lop-eared, short-eared, straight-eared, fluffy tailed and bean-toe pawed, approximately a hoof and a half in size. They're a reclusive creature that prefer to live in the highest tree tops and are rarely seen beneath the lowest hanging boughs. It is also said that their trust can be earned by offering a fruit from the land, which is a rare treat to them. Once tamed, they can easily retrieve high-hanging fruit or create an unreachable stash.

Entry: Bore Snake
Habitat: Anywhere with a cavern system; mountain ranges. Seen most in the lands of the Totoma and Zikwa.
Diet: Sediment, soil, insects.
Temperament: It's like owning a pet rock that stares at you. Some are known to enjoy having their fur stroked, but most are content to be left a wide berth. Tend to creak and make grinding sounds when moving above land.
About: This living piece of land looks and moves like a snake whose anatomy has been taken from the earth itself. The Bore Snake is composed of heavy rock-like skin and a moss-fur on its back. It is known to dwell in caverns or burrow into cliffsides to make its home, varying from the length of a Kimeti's tail to the length of a Kiokote, and longer. It is said that the larger brethren of the Bore Snake is responsible for all underground passages, as well as some of the strange architecture seen in distant lands. The story claims that the larger Bore Snakes are slumbering beneath the land and are responsible for the natural curve of hills, as well as sheer cliff faces, which are said to be places where the Bore Snake once slept and has moved on from, hence the sheer and often curved appearance.

Entry: Ghostlight
Habitat: Anywhere that does not have an excess of natural lighting; wide open spaces. Common in the Plains.
Diet: Omnivores; they'll eat anything from carcasses to other familiar-type animals, from grass to bark. Said to have no need to eat at all, but this is unverified.
Temperament: Flighty, extremely difficult to look at for more than a few seconds; they blink in and out of existence visually, like a firefly. When tamed, they are playful, curious and enjoy laying on their keeper's back.
About: It is said they're attracted to other life forms that are taken with a great emotion of sadness or loss, though it's possibly they're only noticed then, being ghostly as they are. Ghostlights prefer areas with the most darkness to shine their lights, appearing as though the night sky had come to earth and lit the land as it does the heavens. They're sporadic and difficult to observe due to their nature to appear and disappear on a whim, but those that have been monitored successfully tend to show and equal interest in the kin. It is said that they ferry lost souls; some even say that they represent 'the light at the end of the tunnel.' Despite their ghostly guise and mythos, they are not believed to be dead. They are no larger than the length of a Kimeti's muzzle.

Entry By FrostyPeaches

Pref List: Portrait of a hare, nom nom rawr, doe-eyed darling, prince of fennecs
Entry:

Armadillos are quiet and timid creatures. They are able to burrow underground living in dark places where the zikwas are found hiding and capable to live on land whether it be in the plains, caves, or mountain tops. They have hard shells and curl up into a ball when they are startled. Armadillos don't make a lot of sound so if a kin prefers to have a quiet companion or one that can help them find certain herbs and insects underground, then these are the ones for them. Sometimes, if the armadillos are not careful and fail to get out of the way fast enough, they may end up getting killed by speeding cars a stampede. Their eyesight are as bad as the zikwas.

User Image
Credit: nationalwildliferemoval.com

User Image
Credit: wildlifetrappersandrescue.com

Pref List: Portrait of a hare, nom nom rawr, doe-eyed darling, prince of fennecs
Entry:

Did something just move up in the trees? Kiss of Death walked closer toward the tree trunk and starter to buck it with her back hooves. She caused a commotion and looked up when the tree leaves started to fall down. Sure enough, hanging off a branch with its tail curled around it was a big eyed creature with a long tongue staring down at her. Its skin started to change colours from green to brown, trying to camouflage itself as being part of a branch.

Chamaeleons, or also known as Chameleons, prefer to live in abundance in the swamp or the plains where the temperature is warm and mostly hot. If they have somehow traveled inside a cave or into the mountains, they will migrate back to the warmer areas of matope before they freeze to death. These creatures are part of the lizards family and are primarily insectivores.

When the doe squinted her eyes to have a closer look, she saw another one not too far away from it. But this one had spikes on its back instead of a smooth back. Its tongue also dangled out of its mouth as if taunting her.

Chameleons can be smooth backed or have spikes for this matope concept and could be seen as a mutation of some sort through generation differences as a result from breeding.

User Image
Credit: Dragoart.com

User Image
Credit: Charfade @DA

Entry:

Wow those mushrooms made a sound! Wait what?!? Mushrooms can't move! Why are these chasing after me?! Quick step on them! Oh no! They just don't die!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm redface I wanted to post these mushrooms based off a game I used to love to play 24/7 back in the days.
P.S. not a real entry, unless, you guys want it to be lol.

Credit: maplestory

Entry By Kitty Sprightt
kinda assuming/hoping the whole collecting tomorrow noonish applies to this too oop

Pref List: Portrait of a Hare, Prince of my heart Fennecs, Nom Nom Rawr
Entry:
GROUNDHAWK

The groundhawk is a social, opportunistic carnivore found in both the swamp and the plains, more like a lizard than a bird, for all its plumage. They live in small family units, and hunt in groups - when they can't find a free meal somewhere, that is. Their wings have several small claws near the last joint, and their legs also serve as a second pair of wings. By flapping with the forewings, laying the hindwings along their tail, and using the tail itself as a rudder, they're capable of limited flight. They can't get terribly far or high, but they are capable of catching birds, so presumably it works well enough for them. They are able to be trained, but are generally kept more to hunt than for companionship.

Pref List: Portrait of a Hare, Prince of Fennecs, Nom Nom Rawr
Entry:
POSSUM
another ref image for you, and scale (traced from second image due to lazy).

An omnivorous marsupial that is native to the swamp. Famed for its involuntary fits of false death and soft fur, the possum is only kept from being a popular pet because of its nocturnal nature. The only significant differences between the opossums of earth and the possums of matope are their fabulous coloration and more companionable temperament - not by much, especially when they're with young, but enough to make them actual pets rather than wild animals.

Pref List: Portrait of a Hare, Prince of Fennecs, Nom Nom Rawr
Entry:
SNARF

spoilered because of weirdly detailed people hands and feet, I remember that bothers some folks. Here's a more recent, less anthropomorphized design, in case oldschool snarfs are too weird; and a snarf to scale (mostly traced from this image).

The Snarf, named for the snuffling noises it makes rooting in the undergrowth, is a strange sort of a creature. Native to the swamp, these creatures are omnivorous, mainly eating roots, fungi, insects, fish, and small mammals. They don't seem like they'd be up to a lot, but their prehensile tails - with extra grip thanks to their tough, fleshy bellies - help them climb trees with astounding speed and grace. On the ground, they can even stand on their tails to get a better view of their surrounds.

(It's very late and I'm not sure if this is a joke or not anymore. I am so, so sorry.)

Entry By Ruriska
Work let me off too late to actually type up a proper second entry, so, have this instead
/stoned to death

Pref List: Nom nom, Hare, Doe, Fennec
Entry:

It's just a rock.

But at least you don't need to worry about feeding it.

Matope
Captain

Games and Events

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces