Submit

High Magic, Steamtech, or Psionics?
  High Magic
  Steamtech
  Psionics
View Results

TheLordSneed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:37 am
Originally this idea was meant to be a Dungeons and Dragons tabletop adventure, but those games are few and far between and I don't want to see this idea go to waste. The role play post itself will have a lot of info crammed into it, and would require quite a bit of reading for those interested, so before I go through the effort of posting all that I want to see if there would be any interest in this world and story.

The world is Tah'nacth, and it is divided into the eastern continent of Paterska, the western continent of Moshram, and the northern Evenshadow Peninsula. Parham is an arid and mountainous land, dominated by the various Goblin species and ruled by the mysterious Kuningaz. The Evenshadow Peninsula is held by the Dwarf Ilichsk family, remnants of the once massive Grigoram Empire. Paterska is divided into a dozen nations made up of Elfs, Dwarfs, and Gnomes. Humans, having only arrived to the world of Tah'nacth 120 years before, are mostly found in their nation of Elysium, refugees from the apocalyptic remains of Earth. The nation's of Paterska and the Evenshadow Peninsula are united in keeping the ravenous Goblin hordes contained to the Moshram continent.

The main power in the world before the arrival of Humans was High Magic, the manipulation of the raw elements and forces of nature. Humans brought with them their understanding of natural sciences and Steamtech, which gave rise to airships, submersibles, prosthetics, and firearms (powered by rare and hard to build hydro-electric engines since gunpowder doesn't exist in Tah'nacth). Lastly, the Human's interdimensional ship, the Skyheart, ripped through the fabric of reality, creating ripples that altered the minds of every living thing on the planet, creating Psionic abilities, which are slowly becoming more common and vary in power from simple powers like sensing a person's true emotions to controlling matter on a molecular level.

The odd mix of cultures and technology has given the continent of Paterska and the Evenshadow Peninsula a renaissance type of culture, with newly created corporations rising in power to compete with nations in terms of influence. The Moshram continent is more akin to the tribal Mongolian culture, though they have begun stealing and developing their own crude Steamtech as well.

There is a lot more, since this is a world that has been worked on off and on for around 3 years, including histories of the races, their individual cultures and influences (such as Goblins being roughly based of Mongolian hordes, Elfs on Japanese culture, Gnomes on Celtic, Humans on Greek, Dwarfs on Roman), as well as notable groups and people. I even have maps drawn of the continents and a couple.of cities. I known I can't just info dump everything, because it's a rare person that would care to read all of that. So, what would be an acceptable amount of information to post when I do lay down this role play, and would anyone be interested to explore this massive world I've built?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:29 am
I'd certainly be willing. I know how it is to have an intellectual baby. This is definitely something this guild could do with.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

TheLordSneed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:58 am
I was just concerned because if signposted everything I'd like to, it would amount to maybe 15 pages worth of material, though afterwards i would feel more confidant of my players ability to immerse themselves in the world I envision. Very warhammer mixed with steampunk and maybe a healthy dose of mythology. Haha. This is my intellectual baby and if I can get people interested they should be prepared to read a lot and really contribute to this world with their characters.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:57 pm
Well of course. I guess my one piece of advice it would be to distil as much as you can of your information, maybe introduce elements gradually. I've been experimenting with information dumps as a way of adding things within roleplay.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

TheLordSneed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:34 pm
I can't help it, I have to info dump a bit. All of the races are available to the players, except the Kuningaz, the rulers of the Goblin race.

The Goblins are divided into several subspecies, the Kuningaz, Orcs, Hobgoblins, Goblins, and Bugbears. The Kuningaz are the mysterious leaders, never seen, only confirmed by the confessions of Goblin prisoners. They arose soon after the appearance of the Humans, uniting the chaotic race. The Orcs were the species that most often rose as generals and chiefs before the Kuningaz, and they now act as the devoted right hand of their new leadership. Those that show an aptitude for Magic or powerful Psionic abilities are trained personally by the Kuningaz as elite assassin's or professional saboteurs in the Cilik squads. The Hobgoblins are the tinkerers, scientists, engineers, and torturers of the Goblin civilization. They are responsible for reverse engineering the stolen Human Steamtech and creating nightmare devices that spray plague water into fortified cities, that keep torture victims awake and alive far past the normal point of death, and other such creations. Though it is extremely rare for any Hobgoblins to show any Magic talent, many have mild Psionic abilities, most often in the form of mind reading or mental domination. Beneath them are the Goblins; the foot soldiers, the slave labor, and the fanatical canon fodder. Though the vast majority have less than average intellect or imagination , they do have a terrible talent for traps, ambushes, and other guerilla tactics. On the rare occasion, as if to balance the scales a true genius is born to the Goblin species occasionally, and often these savants possess very strong Psionic abilities or a deep understanding of High Magic that make them one of the worst enemies of the allied races of Paterska. Below the Goblins are the Bugbears, barely intelligent but immensely strong, even more so than their eight foot tall form.would suggest.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:47 am
I am very interested, also curious as to which edition you would use had it been a dnd game  

CloudyTwister1020

Generous Muse

8,150 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Millionaire 200

TheLordSneed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:06 pm
CloudyTwister1020
I am very interested, also curious as to which edition you would use had it been a dnd game

I would likely have used pathfinder. I like the system. I know it been a while since there have been any updates to the guild, but my lap top has been in a pawn shop.I have continued  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:50 pm
Quite the interesting setup you have there. I particularly like the references to cultures in human history, giving players a chance to look up real-world references and understand things better. A lovely touch.  

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers