User Image

Backstage, in some locker room in the arena, TNWR crew had set up a nice little area for Michael Cole's "exclusive" interview this week. The set was quite nice looking, too nice for someone like Aleks Mason, who would be joining Michael Cole here. Cole sat down, analyzing his notes and what not. Microphone and camera equipment were being tested. Aleks Mason walked in, in a sleeveless vest, revealing his tattoos. He sported black jeans, and boots. As usual, Mason's hair was tied up in a man bun, which looked amazing on him. Behind Aleks' seat was a prop, a faux championship underneath a black cloth. The production team wanted to convey the feeling as if the new Universal Championship was underneath the cloth, directly behind Mason. Michael asked Mason to take a seat as they were going to be starting the interview soon. Aleks sat, and Michael looked into the camera to start off.

Michael Cole: Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome back to our TNWR.com exclusive interviews. This week I am accompanied by none other than the #1 Contender to the Universal Title, Aleks Mason.

The camera would switch over to across Michael Cole, where Aleks Mason sat, legs crossed in a "4" formation. He held his boot with both hands, almost pulling his leg towards him. It was very clear he was making himself very comfortable here in this interview. He broke the position he was sitting in, planting both feet on the floor and sitting up like a normal person would in the chair. Mason then let out a slight smile.

Aleks Mason: Thank you and you're welcome for having me, Cole. You know, I wasn't really aware of the dress code for this, as you can tell. I asked someone if it was fine if I came sleeveless, never got a response, so I'm here. I don't know the formality of this interview.

Michael Cole: Um, your attire is perfectly fine, Aleks. However, we're not here to discuss your clothing we're here to discuss your SummerSlam match with Randy Orton, the finals in the Gold Rush tournament for the Universal Championship. But, for most of the tournament, especially before facing the Undertaker, you were considered the dark horse of the whole tournament.

Aleks Mason: Right, "dark horse." Let's define dark horse, Michael. A dark horse is an individual in a contest in which little is known that often is led to victory despite being overlooked. I think, for once in your broadcasting career you're right. I was greatly overlooked by everyone. The fans, the other competitors, the boys in the locker room, even management. Everyone believed that my victory against the Phenom, The Undertaker, was merely a fluke. Then I go on to defeat Dean Ambrose. Was that a fluke too? There are no excuses as to what my victories were. They were just that, victories. It's a shame that I can't pick up a win and that people can't be happy with it. They're always looking as to reasons why I won. When in fact, I won because I was the better competitor in the ring that night. And I will once again be the better competitor come SummerSlam. Everything that has transpired these past few weeks, leading up to that championship match hasn't been a fluke, but instead destiny.

Michael Cole: Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you think winning the Universal Championship is part of your "destiny?"

Aleks Mason: Of course it's a part of my destiny. For a long time in this business, people like me have been overlooked.

Michael Cole: What exactly do you mean by that?

Aleks Mason: A lot of assumptions are going to come from that statement. People like me. I'll tell you right now I don't mean my size, I don't mean my look, I don't mean my style of wrestling. People like me, just to name a few: Trent, Matt Allens, Mikey Chi, Coal Regenoi, Jimmy Lockheart, I'll even throw in everyone's favorite Jaime Kym. Some of those guys aren't even here anymore. Why? Because people like us are completely overlooked, we aren't taken seriously, and we're blown off. Dark Horse. Back to that. Once you ignore someone or don't take someone seriously for long enough, they creep up from behind. And now three of those people, myself included, are in championship matches at SummerSlam. You either understand what I mean by "people like me" or you don't. And if you don't you're exactly what's wrong with this company. Dark horse.

Michael Cole: You mention Matt Allens and Trent, both who are in the Paramount Championship match at SummerSlam, which takes me to this. As it stands, either you or Randy Orton will be the sole champion on iMPACT. Would you rather see Allens & Trent lose so that, if you win, you could be the sole champion over at iMPACT?

Aleks Mason: To me, it doesn't matter whether Matt or Trent bring the Paramount Championship over to iMPACT, or if it stays over on RAW with the man who everyone forgot. It doesn't matter who is the champion over on RAW, it doesn't matter if there are two, three, four, even five championships on iMPACT. All that will matter is that I will be the Universal Champion, and will be in result, the most prestigious champion in TNWR. A lot of people will argue that whoever is the champion on RAW is the most important champion in all of TNWR, to which I say, that's bull s**t. After my match with Randy Orton, I'll even go on a limb and say whether or not I win... After my match with Randy Orton, the Universal Championship WILL be the most prestigious and glorified championship belt in this company. It doesn't matter if Roman Reigns or Seth Rollins walks out with RAW's title, because it's the same boring old crap. Over here on iMPACT we've got fresher, newer, more entertaining stuff for the fans to watch. And it's my job to show the fans exactly why the Universal Championship is the title to hold. It's not the championship that makes the man, you know. It's the man that makes the championship.

Michael Cole: This is your first championship match in quite some time, Aleks, how does that change your motive and your strategy going into SummerSlam?

Aleks Mason: Forget my first championship match in a long time, this is my first pay-per-view match in a long time. You know, and if we're going to go into my last championship match I can tell you, it was probably back some time maybe in TNWF, might have even been TNWE. If I'm not mistaken it was a 6-way, elimination. Three people left, myself included and I got taken out by Harry.. Harry someone. Can't recall the last name, but once again another one of those overlooked guys. Don't think he won that. Just with those details alone you can tell how old the match was. I can't even recall the guy's last name who eliminated me. This is a big deal, a big opportunity for me going into SummerSlam, and I intend to seize the opportunity. I intend to give Randy Orton the fight of his life, and let the better man walk out as Universal Champion.

Michael Cole: We're running out of time here, Aleks, I want to thank you so much for coming on.

Aleks Mason: I want to thank you for not being as boring as I thought you would be. Probably because I was doing most of the talking. You know, I promised Renee I wouldn't give anyone else an interview, but I kind of liked this. Don't tell anyone, keep that between us, Cole. I don't need anyone thinking I like you. Just the interview.

Michael Cole: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for joining us here exclusively on TNWR.com and don't forget you can catch Randy Orton vs. Aleks Mason for the Universal Championship ONLY on the TNWR Network.

The scene would fade away as cameras cut and crew came in to remove the lights and microphones. Aleks extended a hand, breaking character off of camera to shake Michael's hand for allowing him to come onto his show and have some time to talk. Aleks would stay on set a bit, talking to Michael Cole about other stuff, before finally shaking his hand one more time and leaving the room to go on with his business.