Welcome to Gaia! ::

Annual User Run Ball Planning Guild

Back to Guilds

The event planning organisation for the AURB! 

Tags: aurb, annual ball, ball, user run, event 

Reply Locked Threads
15th AURB Theme Brainstorming Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AugureyRiddle

Irregular Genius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:42 pm
Brokuto
DEFs avoiding any sort of copyright infringement. the Classic Lit theme was all books that are no longer copyright... though i, myself, found the theme somewhat boring as i found half the fun of the aurb is creating my character, while with classic lit it was more we already had the character, we just chose from a list.

ALSO fanfiction can still get people in trouble, there are authors that hate it and do try to take people to court for it.

That is what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure.

(Ah, yes. I remember those days. When a vampire novel author was actively trying to sue fanfiction writers.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:49 pm
ZoieAmandaSaxon
Brokuto
DEFs avoiding any sort of copyright infringement. the Classic Lit theme was all books that are no longer copyright... though i, myself, found the theme somewhat boring as i found half the fun of the aurb is creating my character, while with classic lit it was more we already had the character, we just chose from a list.

ALSO fanfiction can still get people in trouble, there are authors that hate it and do try to take people to court for it.

That is what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure.

(Ah, yes. I remember those days. When a vampire novel author was actively trying to sue fanfiction writers.)

though i guess one way around that kind of copyright is parody but parody always ends up silly for silly's sake.

gg interview with a vampire lmao gg  

Brokuto

Antagonistic Rogue

Brokuto

Antagonistic Rogue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:55 pm
for once im not gonna post my pirate theme idea lmao.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:56 pm
Brokuto
though i guess one way around that kind of copyright is parody but parody always ends up silly for silly's sake.

Parodies can be fun, but they're not really the type of thing for roleplaying.... So it is almost not worth considering anything with copyrighted things. Right?

AugureyRiddle

Irregular Genius

Brokuto

Antagonistic Rogue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:59 pm
ZoieAmandaSaxon
Brokuto

Parodies can be fun, but they're not really the type of thing for roleplaying.... So it is almost not worth considering anything with copyrighted things. Right?

others might disagree but i dont think its worth it. im going through past aurb planning guilds and last year we only had 5 pages of theme discussion :/ and less than 10 overall themes suggested.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:07 pm
Brokuto
others might disagree but i dont think its worth it. im going through past aurb planning guilds and last year we only had 5 pages of theme discussion :/ and less than 10 overall themes suggested.

That's unfortunate... Maybe we'll have some most theme suggestions this year? Hopefully.

AugureyRiddle

Irregular Genius

Brokuto

Antagonistic Rogue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:13 pm
ZoieAmandaSaxon
Brokuto

That's unfortunate... Maybe we'll have some most theme suggestions this year? Hopefully.

ye, im looking through them for ideas tbh brain fart for ideas tbh lmao  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:29 pm
TheMainCharacter1
Mushyung
10/10 YES I especially love the part where some characters want to become gary/mary stus lol
What would the guests be then tho? Just npcs who're trying to advise the mc, or regular gaians who were sucked into the manuscript along with the mc? We already did that this year though >.>

What if manuscript has been found, and some government agency recruited the ball-goers to figure out what's going on inside? Then the goal for the guests could be 'assist the mc, figure out what is going on, come back out safely'? So the announcement could be like: "Figure out the mystery of the manuscript", instead of only the main thread being about the apocalypse, and the rest in another setting altogether. The entire forum could be utilized to tell an amazing story!

ZoieAmandaSaxon

THIS IS SUCH A COOL IDEA WITH SO MUCH WE COULD DO WITH IT.

Honestly, having the Gaians be 'recruited' to figure out the mystery would be so cool and an interesting way for interaction. People who aren't in the planning guild could easily fit they're own roleplays in the forums into the story as well. And we could always do what the NPCs kind of have started doing and go into forums and interact with people in their own forums as well as our characters. (Though that would be a lot more work for the next ball, but on the upside it might get people more excited about the ball and get them excited about planning and working with us for the year after. Maybe?)

Author is hosting an open house for guests and fans at his grandparent's home to celebrity his writing. That is when the author finds the pen, manuscript, and where everyone get's sucked into the unfinished manuscript.

I was thinking that this type of situation gives people a chance to make fun cliche troupes used in writing but it might not work out. Even though I think it will be fun and creative I'm not sure this will be consider a simple broad theme...

Ahh I was thinking that we should have a more specific theme this year because smaller staff, smaller amount of rooms, and perhaps the opportunity to use the entire forum for roleplay like the hosts if they want to, going out into the forum and interacting in character with other threads.

There could definitely be many many cliches! It sounds like a lotta fun. 3nodding

And since the ball has always been based around a party...why not try something different this year right? What about the author and grandparent being rescued in the end and throwing a party to thank the gaians for helping them, instead of starting with the expectation of a party?  

aucosu

Crew

Familiar Conventioneer

Brokuto

Antagonistic Rogue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:39 pm
Watch me bring out my anime trash side lmao

also guys dont focus too much on one theme, try to think of others as well

THEME IDEA!!
Superpowers/super society

different kinda super societies in current fiction
(just to show even though same theme can have various plots)

-Marvel universe // x-men/ avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy etc
-DC universe// justice league
-Sky High
-My Hero Academia
-One Punch Man
-Big Hero 6
- The Incredibles
-Megamind

Room Idea/s:

City Town Hall: (middle room) city throws party in order to thank heros from stopping the villains all the time etc

League of Villains: villain hide out, theyre not as dastardly as theyd like us to think, shenanigans

Hero's cave: they just want to sit back and relax after saving the city lmao

will expand more later

EDIT: for one room only plot we could easily have the town hall with the characters possibly having a civilian costume to blend in, for both Hero's and Villains  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:45 pm
Brokuto

So less plot-heavy stuff right?

The superhero stuff sounds epic! Very chill, and the second one sounds hilarious.

What do you think about a cultural festival then, or a universe where a party is being thrown to celebrate some royalty's birthday? Or isvthat too character-centric? Gah this is hard lmao  

aucosu

Crew

Familiar Conventioneer

Brokuto

Antagonistic Rogue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:59 pm
Mushyung
Brokuto

The superhero stuff sounds epic! Very chill, and the second one sounds hilarious.

What do you think about a cultural festival then, or a universe where a party is being thrown to celebrate some royalty's birthday? Or isvthat too character-centric? Gah this is hard lmao

im defs always aiming for less plot heavy themes, i had fun this last aurb but we were defs just kinda dragging the guests along with the theme rather than them moving it forward.

and actually themes that can centralise in one area and not move because of plot.

just a place that the guests can walk in straight away and not have to read up on anything basically.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:12 pm
Brokuto
Mushyung
Brokuto

im defs always aiming for less plot heavy themes, i had fun this last aurb but we were defs just kinda dragging the guests along with the theme rather than them moving it forward.

and actually themes that can centralise in one area and not move because of plot.

just a place that the guests can walk in straight away and not have to read up on anything basically.

Ye, sorry, none of the balls I attended were quite like that, so sorry, didn't know ;w;

It sounds like a plan tho! It'll be nice to stay in one area then. Maybe more people would join in if they weren't confused by the plot.

MonsterGoo

^Emmit was talking about a garden in our pms earlier. What about that? Stay in one place and not have to move v much yah? Lol, I wonder what the theme list will look like this year lol  

aucosu

Crew

Familiar Conventioneer

Brokuto

Antagonistic Rogue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:32 pm
Mushyung
Brokuto
Mushyung
Brokuto

Ye, sorry, none of the balls I attended were quite like that, so sorry, didn't know ;w;

It sounds like a plan tho! It'll be nice to stay in one area then. Maybe more people would join in if they weren't confused by the plot.

MonsterGoo

^Emmit was talking about a garden in our pms earlier. What about that? Stay in one place and not have to move v much yah? Lol, I wonder what the theme list will look like this year lol

ye ye ye defs like a garden, though thats more of a setting than a theme atm

Your first room was Epcots in the 13th right? did that move places lot? i felt like it would have stayed on ship mostly D:

most room themes have generally stayed in one important area for their theme and bringing the plot points to the room,rather than bringing the characters and guests to the plot. its half the reason i think theyre called rooms, kinda think like in fighting games you know there is a world beyond the arena chosen but the only place you can go is that arena.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:40 pm
Brokuto
Mushyung
Brokuto
Mushyung
Brokuto

MonsterGoo

ye ye ye defs like a garden, though thats more of a setting than a theme atm

Your first room was Epcots in the 13th right? did that move places lot? i felt like it would have stayed on ship mostly D:

most room themes have generally stayed in one important area for their theme and bringing the plot points to the room,rather than bringing the characters and guests to the plot. its half the reason i think theyre called rooms, kinda think like in fighting games you know there is a world beyond the arena chosen but the only place you can go is that arena.

My first room was with Epcot yah! We crossed over to the mermaids place for a while, switched back, and then everyone started piling into the room, it was a weird introduction lmao. It gave me the impression that the scene would have to change during the ball, which doesn't seem to be quite right haha. Glad it was corrected!

Lol that fighting game analogy. Helped tho (owo)b Ty for the clarification!~ heart  

aucosu

Crew

Familiar Conventioneer

The Handsome Mr-X

Handsome Gentleman

27,590 Points
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:12 am
IF WE COULD BRING DOWN THOSE WALLS AND SET YOU FREE, WE WOULD. CAUSE WE'RE OUT HERE... AND WE MISS YOU.
IF WE COULD BRING A LADDER THAT TALL TO COME UP AND SEE YOU, WE WOULD. CAUSE WE'RE DOWN HERE, AND WE MISS..

How about we do a Hollywood Ball next year?

Our plot could be the directors(hosts) and actors(co-hosts) hire ball attendees as actors, the supporting cast, or interns, to solve random incidents that interfere with the production of the movies. It'll be like a Phantom of the Opera, or only each room will make different movies so that everyone can try and star in the type of movies they like.

Thrillers, Horror, Adventure, Detective, (gaia) Historical, Operas, etc.

Each room can be a studio where a different movie is being shot, and each problem could range from a villain out for revenge or the studio lacking props and everyone needing to go find said props.

Each room's main contest could test how well they can solve the main problem of the respective studio they pick, without jeopardizing the movie's production~  
Locked Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff