[FIN] Picking up the Pieces Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:53 am
"Yeah. I appreciate you too, and Zev. Living with you and practically him lately has been great, and when I move out you definitely won't be able to get rid of me!" He had been supposed to go see another place tomorrow afternoon but no way that was happening now, Abel needed him and anyway the last thing he wanted to do was look at apartments when one of his best friends had a machine breathing for him.

"Um. Abel?" Taavi cleared his throat, swallowed hard, and took a calming breath. Don't think about the machines, or the possibility that things wouldn't turn out okay in the end. "I was thinking just now... I think I'd like to put off moving out for a bit, so I can be around to help out when Zev gets out of here." There was no question of him going back to his own place right away, wherever that was. It was weird that he still didn't know but a lot less weird than it had been with Sasha, it seemed like Abel knew and he was the one dating him so that was okay.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:52 pm
Practically Zev too... Truthfully Zevran did come over and stay often enough that he did pretty much almost live there - he even had his own drawer and space in Abel's bedroom closet - but he didn't officially live there. Maybe he'd want to.

Except his apartment wasn't big enough for all of them at this point, not with how many pokemon he had...

Why not move into a bigger apartment then? One with a balcony even, where--

Maybe he shouldn't get so ahead of himself.

"I... Honestly I hadn't even thought that far yet really, but I'd appreciate it. And you know I'm not kicking you out or anything, I still say you should take your time finding a good place," he added as he gave his best friend one final squeeze before stepping back again. "But... but yeah, I'd appreciate it if you'd stick around for a couple more weeks, at least. I know I won't want to really go to work at all so I can just.. be there with him and help him, but I know I can't just... not work, so... I'd really appreciate if you could be there when I can't, to make sure he's okay and everything." Because Arceus knew he'd need both of them now, both for moral support and more tangible aid like getting him things or making sure he ate.

Once he came back, that was.

"Mmh, I'm sure it's probably obvious but I'm gonna want him to stay with us until he's better at the very least," the blond added as he looked back down at his love, so still and silent and small, and carefully laced his fingers through Zev's again. "I... I think it'd be nice if he'd stay longer than that, but I want him to stay at least until he's better, so we can always make sure one of us is there to take care of him." He'd just said that, hadn't he? He had, but oh well, he'd repeated himself and he couldn't take it back. Not that it really mattered in the end anyway. All that mattered was that Zevran woke up and recovered and was okay.

Alive was such a wonderful word, really.

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:05 pm
Taavi wouldn't be surprised if it was quite a long time before Abel was comfortable letting Zev out of his sight for more than a few minutes, let alone for a full work day. He nodded. "Yeah, of course, I'm sure we can juggle schedules between us... And I figured, yeah. I've never heard him mention roomates so I guess he lives alone? It wouldn't be a good idea for him to go back there right away." Abel could go with him there he guessed but the fact that he'd never been there before so far as Taavi knew made him think that maybe it wasn't the best place in the world. What did Zev even do for a living? He never seemed to be at work, or to have been at work, or to need to get away early to go to work. Hu. Well weird though that continued to be it wasn't important right now.

A light tap at the door announced Dith's return and, after a polite interval, he opened it and stepped inside with an apologetic half smile. "I'm afraid we need to go now so that Dr. Chakwas and her team can do some work. This place is a bit of a maze, I thought I'd offer to walk you out." Did they have transport? It was cold outside by Kodo's mild standards and Abel didn't have a coat.  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:10 am
It hadn't really been in the forefront of his mind but as a wave of relief washed over him, Abel couldn't help but realize he'd been worried about it just the same, even if he hadn't even been aware of the fact. Knowing Taavi would be there to help Zev too gave him more than a little measure of solace. "Yeah," he affirmed with a brief nod, his fingers still intertwined with Zevran's, "he lives by himself. I'm not... mh, never mind." Maybe later; he didn't want to get into any details here about why he did or didn't like Zev's living situation, not with him like this.

Abel opened his mouth to explain the abrupt end to his train of thought when a knock at the door preceded Dith's re-entrance, and the blond couldn't help but feel a small surge of anxiety well up. It was time to go, they needed to leave so the doctors could work, probably to help Zev even, but Abel did not like the thought of leaving him. Not at all. But... but he was okay here, he was safe here and this was the best place for him to be right now, he just... couldn't always be here like he wanted to be. Damn. "Ah... okay," he said with a brief, somewhat uncertain glance at the large doctor. He didn't want to leave, not even remotely, but he couldn't very well try to argue the point... Damn. He'd just have to come back as soon as he could.

How did he say goodbye to someone who might not even be able to hear him, let alone understand him even if he could hear him?

The same way he'd say goodbye if he needed to leave while Zevran was fast asleep, safe and sound in his bed. After a moment or two of hesitation Abel gave Zev's hand a soft squeeze as his other hand moved to gently smooth itself over his cheek and, being careful of the various wires and tubes around him, he bent down to press a soft kiss to Zevran's forehead. "I'll be back later," he informed the unconscious blond as his voice dipped down to a quiet murmur, his thumb ghosting along the curve of his cheekbone. "I love you." With his goodbyes said Abel reluctantly, begrudgingly straightened up as his hands slipped away from his boyfriend, promptly moving to hook his thumbs into his pockets to keep them from migrating back to his hand, his face -- because they absolutely would.

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:41 am
When Abel leant over the bed to say goodbye for the night Taavi looked away feeling like an invader in the tender, intimate moment. Everything would be fine though right? Dith jut couldn't say that in case something unexpected happened. Right? And he wouldn't send Abel away if he thought anything... anything might happen tonight. Right?

When Dith opened the door again Taavi slunk out quietly, and after moment Amigo followed him.

Moments like this never stopped breaking your heart but they were why you did the job too, so that a little way down the line when the patient was discharged they left together saying those things to one another.

Dith stepped out of the room again after Taavi and Amigo and held the door open for Abel. "Visiting hours start at six," he said, he knew he had mentioned it earlier but he wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't really taken it in. "They run through until nine in the evening but you may be asked to leave at various times... There's a canteen on site I can show you to tomorrow, cheap hot food to keep you going." Some people - quite a lot of people - spent a lot of time here while people were in the ICU, he suspected Abel would be one of those.  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:56 am
Well..... well. He should probably go... even if he had no desire to. Not even a little.

Begrudgingly Abel forced his feet to move, and with one last glance at his weak, injured boyfriend he reluctantly turned and walked out after Taavi and Amigo did. He'd be fine, he'd be okay. In a few hours he'd come back and Zev would be the same - maybe a tiny bit better - and he would sit with him as long as they'd let him. Everything would be fine. It would be okay. He'd be okay.

"Okay," Abel replied to all of the words Dith said, trying to internalize them. Six until nine was fine, plenty of time to spend with him even if he was more or less asleep the whole time. That was fine... And even though he suspected he wouldn't really want to eat much in the coming days, he'd need to make an effort to do so regardless. Zev would want him to eat, he knew. "Thanks, I'd appreciate it."

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:16 pm
There was another woman behind the desks now; average height, skinny, pale-skinned, her hair worn in a grey bob. As the trio plus Amigo approached she slid a pair of rectangular glasses down her nose and smiled over the top of them; the expression formed deep crows' feet at the corners of her light blue eyes. "Abel is it? Dr. Chakwas. I will still be in charge of your friend's care,"

"Boyfriend's," Dith corrected.

"Boyfriend's, apologies," Dr. Chakwas nodded. "And I will still be here in the morning if you need to ask anything. If you want to stay a while coffee rounds are regular - though no food or drink in the room with him - and we can put a chair in for you. And of course you're welcome any time between six and nine too Taavi."

Well the doctor in charge here seemed nice if heteronormative, that was good and it was very good that she hadn't shown any aversion to being corrected. You could never tell who'd be perfectly nice one moment but suddenly hate you when you turned out not to fit their world view.

Taavi nodded and smiled weakly. "Um. Thank you. I'll come by sometime tomorrow I'm sure."

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:29 pm
The further away they walked from Zevran's room the more Abel's heart sank, the more it longed to be back there with him, but he dutifully followed Dith regardless. They couldn't stay any longer and he'd be fine for the few hours he needed to wait before he could visit his boyfriend again. He'd be just fine; if he told himself that enough times he'd believe it eventually.

And then there was a woman he hadn't seen before, introduced as the doctor Dith had mentioned. There were a myriad of different things to respond to and with his mind full of restless, whirling thoughts as it was, Abel was grateful when Dith handled at least part of them. "Ah, a chair would be great, thanks. And coffee too. Um, thank you," he said again, just in case... Well, just in case. It usually didn't hurt to say 'thank you' too much; he suspected neither would mind - or rather he hoped they wouldn't - because it was still a little difficult for him to think of anything much to say.

Isaac's head popped up and his ears perked at his friend's voice, so he licked Dr. Hameed's fingers in a final show of thanks before turning - carefully, of course, lest he disturb any of her paperwork - and padding across the desk to Abel's waiting hands. "Hey bud," he murmured affectionately as the Espeon bumped into his fingers, and he promptly stroked the psychic-type's large ears, "you weren't causing any trouble, were you?"

"Eon," Isaac replied. Him? Cause trouble? Perish the thought!

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:36 pm
"Oh no, he was a perfect gentleman," Hameed replied with a smile to Abel and a nod to Isaac. "You can come back any time you like sir, between the hours of six and nine."

"I'll see you later today then," Chakwas continued to Abel. "We have your number should we need to contact you, though I would like to stress that I don't expect we shall. Get some sleep and come back later."

Dith nodded agreement with Chakwas' suggestion, though he didn't expect it to be followed through on easily. "I'll show you the way out then, do you two have transport to get home?"

"Um," Taavi blinked in a slightly dazed manner, the exhaustion of the long day that had followed not a lot of sleep the night before was starting to catch up with him. "Yeah, um, I mean; pokemon? We can get home alright, right Abel?"  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:25 pm
"Good," he said softly as he helped the Espeon climb up onto his shoulders, then offered a slightly uncertain, weary smile at the pair of doctors. He was quite glad they had his contact information already because it saved him the trouble of bringing it up and giving it to them. "Thank you, I really do appreciate it. And yeah, we do," he agreed with a nod to Taavi and Dith. Taavi probably flew in on Valour and he had Caleb, so... "We'll get back just fine, thanks."  

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:39 pm
"Good, good, this way then." Dith motioned for the group to follow him as he left the ICU and turned left down another long hallway, then took a turn down another. Part way down this one however he came to a halt and gestured to a map on the wall. "If you get lost these are pretty good, the central strip of tiles down the halls is colour coded and you also have a coloured tile at each intersection. If you get lost it's quite easy to work out where you are."

"Wish I'd known that earlier," Taavi murmured vaguely.

"Everything looks much the same other than that so if you don't know about it, it's easy to get muddled," Dith said sympathetically as he set off again. Before long he came to a set of double doors, which opened to the night air automatically as they approached. "There," Dith gestured pretty much straight ahead, "If you walk that way you'll get to the main entrance in a couple of minutes and you can mount up once you're there." He wished there was more he could do tonight, but the best thing he could do for anyone was go home and sleep so that he was fresh for his next shift. "I start work again at midday, perhaps I can meet you a bit before that to show you the canteen and such?"  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:57 pm
Abel dutifully followed Dith down the hallways and took note of the map and, more importantly, the colored tiles on the floor -- specifically the ones related to the ICU so he'd know exactly how to get back in the morning. ...or rather, in a few hours.

And then just like that, a few moments later they were outside again. The blond turned to give his doctor friend a small smile, no less genuine for how worn out it looked. "That sounds good, yeah. Thanks again -- for everything. I guess we'll see you tomorrow then... or later today," he amended with a soft frown.

As if to accentuate this point, Isaac's jaws opened wide and his ears slicked back as he let out a long yawn.

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:05 pm
"Later today," Dith agreed with a wry smile. ********, he was tired. Tired. He should have finished hours ago but he couldn't just have punched out and left somebody else to go and find Abel. Food on the way home, then sleep. He felt like he was getting too old for this, burning out, but he didn't have anyone to tell.

Oh well! Keep calm and carry on as his adopted country loved to say, or at least loved to print on shirts to sell to tourists. Nearly the same thing.

Dith shook himself and focused on Abel and Taavi again. "Go home, eat something, then lie down. Sleep if you can but if you can't lying down is better than nothing. Doctors orders alright? You must take care of yourselves too."

"Um, yes, alright we'll do that," Taavi said, maybe they would or maybe not but he'd try to do so and to persuade Abel to do so too. "See you soon then. And thanks."

He then turned to Abel with a wan half smile and gestured in the direction Dith had a moment or two ago. "Let's go then, it's cold out." Good job Abel had a nice warm fire type to ride home.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:20 pm
"Alright, we will," Abel agreed alongside Taavi, "and you get some sleep too, yeah?" Dith looked just about as tired as they were, possibly more.

And then the blond turned to his best friend with a similarly weary half-smile. "Yeah, it is."

A brief walk brought them to the front entrance Dith had mentioned and Abel loosed Caleb onto the sidewalk. The fire-type's naturally dark fur plus the dim lighting of the city didn't illuminate the patches of blood-soaked fur very well but it was still there, perceptible especially under street lights. Once assured that his Arcanine wasn't injured himself - which left him a little nauseous with the knowledge that it was definitely Zevran's blood - Abel climbed onto the fire-type's back before he turned and loped down the street towards home. Traffic was blissfully nonexistent now, leaving their way more or less clear the whole way, which was nice even though they weren't in as much of a rush as they were just a scant few hours earlier. Abel tried not to think about that for now.

Once they reached the building and Valour landed to let Taavi down, the pair walked up to the apartment together, silence hanging heavy between them until Abel unlocked his door and they stepped inside. Sonia met them immediately - the sound of his keys alerted her to their imminent return and she'd hopped off the armchair she'd been dozing in - with concern and worry evident in her expression and in the noise she made in the back of her throat, but Abel waved her further in so they could enter. After shutting the door behind them and kicking his shoes off, the blond reached over to rub his hands over her ears as he bent down to press a kiss between them. "He's okay, he's going to be in the hospital for a while. You were a huge help tonight, thank you. Everyone got back okay?"

"Zor," the dark-type responded readily, albeit tiredly.

"Good, that's my girl." They were all back okay, everything cleaned up and taken care of, now.... now he didn't really know what to do. Exhausted as he was from not sleeping much the night before and from being out most of the night, and worried as he was about Zevran, it was difficult for him to really think about much anymore.

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:33 pm
Getting back through the sleeping city was easy enough, stepping into the apartment was harder.

While Abel checked in with the pokemon, obviously knowing what had happened and so what to check, Taavi quietly hung his coat up in the closet. There was a hanger there that Zev seemed to favour, the tattooed man had taken Taavi's own coat off it more than once and hung it on another so he could use it. Heck if he knew why, maybe he just liked the sort of marbled blue and purple plastic... Oh - Taavi glanced at Abel - okay, that was why. When had he first done that? A month ago? He hadn't been paying attention, it hadn't been important.

Once he had his boots off Taavi stepped into the living room and there he froze again.

They hadn't taken down the blanket fort.

There was a whine from within the blanket fort and a moment later Clara slunk out, tail and ears low.

Taavi stooped and stretched his hand out to the miserable looking Growlithe and tried not to think too much. Zev and Abel had built the fort of soft things against something they'd known was coming, right? And it had come.

After giving Clara a reassuring rub around the ears Taavi straightened again and turned to Abel. "Go sit, okay? I'll find something to eat." There was probably something in the fridge, there always was these days.

Roleplay

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff