Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4001 4002 4003 4004 4005 4006 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Ruined Horizon

Distinct Genius

5,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:43 pm
An interesting take, Berry. As an follow-up, I point out the latest announcement. They are selling wings, an item long since demanded by the population here in gaia. Such are being sold in very short windows for gaia cash. If memory serves, $1 is 100 GC. Thus, when the wings are being sold for 29900 GC that is $299.

Think about that. A virtual item for three hundred dollars. Only sold for a limited time, and advertised as a great opportunity. Hundreds of dollars down to as low as a hundred dollars a pop for wings. That doesn't sound reasonable to me. That isn't maintenance of the site, nor is it investing in gaia. That is paying exorbitant prices for an item that does not physically exist.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:47 pm
Apparently this is a bigger problem than a few whiners . . . since Lanzer himself had to come and justify it.  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:49 pm
Much of what I would say has already been stated, so I'll leave it at that.

Yeah, Lanzer making an announcement was a big deal - to me at least. He hasn't been vocal in a long time.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:00 pm
the only problem comes into play when you try to consider the true 'value' of pixels. As ultimately pixels are some thing you pay for, well some one has to... I've got no problem with the MC and EI that Gaia has, heck I like them and generally pick them up when I have an extra 10$ a month. That being said, 300$ for an item that Gaia's have clearly been wanting for a long time (large wings, and a compliment to the angle wings) is nigh unto extortion...
I wonder what it costs to honestly keep this place up and running, I know servers can cost TONS of money upfront and consume a decent amount of electricity but Gaia can't have that many... I just wonder what has caused the sudden shift toward there ultra rare, ultra expensive items and why they view that method as being worth throwing away there economy... or maybe they are taking these large things into account and I'm missing some thing...

By the way, I prefer to be called Kitsune most of the time. If there is to many fox people running around Sune works as well.  

Kitsune_berry

9,100 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:51 pm
As you wish Kitsune . . .

I don't think it is extortion or throwing away the economy. I just feel that they are drifting from the participation model (gold), and more to the 'pay to win' model (cash). Gaia is transforming into a free-to-play site, meaning that one can do everything in theory without paying a dime. In order to get the truly valuable items and powerups (zOMG and other games), one will need to pay cash for items. Without that payment, the chances of excelling go drastically down. This pay to win model and the departure from participation model is what truly is the core of my consternation.

I guess I'll table this and stop bringing it up . . . but it just is my observation.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:51 pm
'Tis true that it's not a bad thing to word out your opinions, that the top-gear items have become cash-only purchases, but do you see everyone complaining? Sure some have worded it once in a while, but Gaia's currency system doesn't plan on changing anytime soon. Gold is free to all, and Cash is optional not required to access the core content of the game. They are trying to keep the site free to all, but they also need to money to keep the freedom going, either through charity from members or purchases of unique items.

Can you blame them for doing their jobs?  

Nine-Tails927

Vicious Tactician

3,550 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Signature Look 250

Gale OverDrive

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 am
Hey Nine-tails, sorry I'm not able to contact you sooner. It's my birthday today, actually, and the week has been quite busy. Also I realize that gaia isn't the best place for us to make conversation right now (as I have lapses of un-attention) but you can email me at alvinthe2nd[at]yahoo for stuff.

To the others,

Hail and well met, everyone.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:33 pm
Happy Birthday, Gale! *gluggles*

Quote:

Hail and well met, everyone.
Obscure Gurren Lagann reference?  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:00 pm
Sounds more like a Wiccan greeting to me. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:08 pm
If this Halloween Battle system is anything like the one from several years ago (heavily vampire themed, but I don't remember exactly which year), I'm happy it's going to be a permanent fixture!  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:58 pm
Each year, I have collected a full halloween set . . . but not sure I want to this year. I may, I may not. As for the battle thing . . . Not entirely sold on it yet. It isn't abhorrent, nor is it something I am excited about. All in all, I'm glad that Gaia has something new to play with.

Still, the follower of bunny and follower of Jack items have some nice arm options.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:28 pm
eeep. got quiet in here.  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:40 pm
I always enjoy the holiday sets gotten from visiting the shops, and the time investment isn't bad if you only get 1 item a day and are otherwise surfing the net.

I just really enjoy having a forum-based (read: not flash) game.

I haven't seen those yet. Are they the 8th Halloween item?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:35 pm
I just did a quick search in the marketplace for 2k13, and found the halloween items. This year just isn't really speaking to me. Still, the cyber set caught my attention . . . as you may have noticed. sweatdrop  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:05 pm
neutral  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4001 4002 4003 4004 4005 4006 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games