Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4188 4189 4190 4191 4192 4193 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:39 pm
Keeping the characters out of the story as much as possible- having them be token presences, that is a good rule to follow in such situations.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:30 pm
Tales of Berseria is apparently one of the better Tales games. I need to pick that up eventually, but not at full price.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:07 pm
I'm worried that FF VII remake is becoming vaporware.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 am
                  I do actually have a successful superpower mass roleplay running on another site, it's given me a great confidence boost in my GM skills. I'm actually thinking about turning one of my old guilds into a GMing guild.

welian

Crew

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:45 pm
Oh? And what site is that, Wellie?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:09 pm
                  RP Nation, I moved over there after a Gaia hiatus in late 2014. It's smaller than Gaia, but it's also ad-free and runs on donations, and it's a nice little community. I've made a name for myself over there, it feels good.

Anyways, the RP I've been running over there for a year now is called Aegis, and it's a school setting sequel to a superpower RP I ran here on Gaia. It's been pretty popular, I think it's because I use spreadsheets to organize everything and have a stat system for character creation.

welian

Crew

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:06 pm
welian
                  RP Nation, I moved over there after a Gaia hiatus in late 2014. It's smaller than Gaia, but it's also ad-free and runs on donations, and it's a nice little community. I've made a name for myself over there, it feels good.

Anyways, the RP I've been running over there for a year now is called Aegis, and it's a school setting sequel to a superpower RP I ran here on Gaia. It's been pretty popular, I think it's because I use spreadsheets to organize everything and have a stat system for character creation.

You certainly have my attention.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:13 pm
Magni Prime
You certainly have my attention.
                  There's a few gaps here and there, but here's a glance at my spreadsheet. The character creation for the roleplay has a basic stat system based loosely on a combination of D&D and Pokemon, and the number of points is determined by rank, which is based on strong/borderline OP a superpower sounds like on the first draft of the profile. The stats aren't used outside of character creation due to me not wanting to bother with combat or experience, but it's a good way to prevent a lot of power-playing.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The basic premise is an alternate history of Earth in which superpowers always existed (usually around 7% of the population has the gene for it), and the politics of a modern world that has to take walking weapons of mass destruction into account. I like to bait my players in the chatroom with hypothetical discussion about insurance and lawsuits as they would relate to powers. The best part is though, even though it's a school setting for federally mandated superpower training, students can be any age when their power shows up. So, we have lots of characters who in their 20s and 30s, and a few in their 40s/50s/60s.

welian

Crew

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:19 am
@FF7: actually, SquEnix just released some screenshots: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2017/5903.html

@Welian: That RP looks pretty fun.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:24 pm
Yoder
@Welian: That RP looks pretty fun.

Thanks! I'm gonna go ahead and run a spin-off here on Gaia soon, see if anyone bites.

welian

Crew

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:46 pm
No lie . . . systems that complicated intimidate me. I prefer the story, the interweaving of characters and situations. Far more of a Role player than a Roll player. Not insinuating anything other than I saw the spreadsheet and could only think <********."  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:00 pm
Magni Prime
No lie . . . systems that complicated intimidate me. I prefer the story, the interweaving of characters and situations. Far more of a Role player than a Roll player. Not insinuating anything other than I saw the spreadsheet and could only think <******** class="clear">

Don't worry! It's not as complicated as it looks.

1. Every character is assigned a rank based on how extensive we think the power is, and the potential to abuse it in-character.

2. This rank determines how many stat points the character is allotted.

3. The player then distributes these stat points (anywhere between 12 and 24 total) amongst seven stats, on a scale of 1 to 9 where 2 is considered the average unpowered human. The seven stats are health, strength, toughness, agility, intelligence, willpower, and energy.

4. I check over the stats to make sure they make sense - for example, a character with super-strength should not have extra points in agility, unless their power specifically also affects their agility.

The "Heroism Meter" is just grading six heroic personality traits also on a scale of 1 to 9.

After character creations, the stats really don't come into play. It's a freeform RP, we might use the stats for minigames, but honestly, it's just a bit of arithmetic to make sure people think critically about their powers and don't go running around godmodding.

welian

Crew

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:09 pm
still intimidated.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:37 pm
Hopefully i can automate a bit more of it...  

welian

Crew

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:14 am
Likely it is just me. I'm getting to be an old fart, and frankly not as willing to jump into a huge system. I love the subject matter, but seeing all those stats doesn't do me any favors. In the past, I had people literally doing it all for me. I can think up stuff, and write it out beautifully . . . but the math makes me think of work. This should be fun- not work.

I wish you nothing but the best, wellie. I am just unsure that I will be joining. Maybe that is shortsighted of me. sweatdrop  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4188 4189 4190 4191 4192 4193 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games