Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4196 4197 4198 4199 4200 4201 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:10 pm
I still get lost on Wikipedia & TVTropes rabbit trails, so I do plenty of technical reading, but anime is my main source of fiction.

Makes me wish school included the trivium (grammar, logic, rhetoric) to some degree. the liberal arts are great, but it feels like they aren't enough. Relegating speech class until high school was definitely too late for me to ever become comfortable with it. Thankfully my field of programming is all about logic.

My misunderstanding.

Pleasantly surprised by this JRPG: https://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_heroes_trails_of_cold_steel_the  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:53 am
So . . . pot, I'm kettle. I ended up having my first panic attack at work Friday morning. It was quite frankly terrifying. In the moment, I felt like a cardiac problem until I managed to leave the store. Quite the scare. The symptoms all line up with a classic case of panic attack, though, and several of my contacts confirm it. So, that is the good news. The bad news is that I worked myself quite literally into that frenzy, pushing past my limits in my drive to get my job done, and keep up when the workload was overwhelming. After all this time parenting you to take care of yourself, it ended up being me that fell apart. Go figure.

As for wordplay, mine comes from reading books (which we both know is currently off the table), and roleplaying. Learning different ways to speak, things to say in a more in character method, and appreciating different thought processes makes it far easier to try and be tactful.

I will check out that link later on. I have several days off this week to dive into such things.  

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:46 pm
I'm sorry you've been pushed to that point. I thankfully haven't had a collision of proportions to lead to panic. In such situations in the past I just go emotionally dead. For my overwork currently I just become neglectfully self destructive (lack of sleep, poor diet, etc...).

Enjoy your time off!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:05 pm
I had a one-on-one meeting where I told my manager that having 3 members of staff having mental breakdowns this year alone is a serious issue. Even cited the decade I spent studying psychology as expertise...She said it is actually 5 this year, said how everybody is stressed, and blew my warning off. What was meant to be about a half-hour turned into an hour and 45. Honestly, I don't think she took anything to heart, and nothing will change.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:10 pm
Ah, the classic "everybody's suffering, so suck it up" deflection. I'm going through a much tamer version of the same at my new client.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:13 pm
yeah, it's to the point that I am leaving the store. Not the company, I'm not quitting my job. I'm going to be moving to a store about a half hour from me. Sure, now I will have to drive to work instead of walking, but I should be getting full time and a new store where the drama of working in the same place as my wife is negated.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:05 pm
Ah, relationships spanning those major boundaries can definitely be a source of contention. Hopefully the new location treats you better or at least gives you more consistent hours even.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:49 am
Hours are all but guaranteed. They are hurting for people, and I am trained. It was just recently brought to my attention that they lost yet another person, so not only will I be assured of full time hours, but I also will be given the rather enviable station of first shift. Regular hours, full-time, and nobody saying I am being untoward to my wife (even though we have yet to work together for more than a few minutes across 5 months of work). I can only hope that this is a positive move.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 pm
Daytime hours is a huge boon!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:08 pm
Indeed. Better yet, one person I work with only is in our store during the summer. He is a college student, and really quite laid back. I enjoy talking with him, as we discuss music, games, and generally have a good rapport. Evidently he has worked in the store I am heading to and said their standards are quite low (relatively speaking). Accustomed to younger kids that just do the minimum to get the job done, it might shine on me to be a perfectionist and try harder than they are used to. Additionally, he has said he spoke with the manager there and put in a good word for me. Thus, I'm going into a situation where I might shine in optimal hours for full time.

My only concern is that when things seem too good to be true, they usually are. I'm cautiously optimistic here.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:33 am
Posting for the sake of a post. whee.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:54 am
Hopefully that next store has been going well.

Had a huge deliverable heaped on me mid-week that was due Friday, hence why I've been gone.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:33 pm
Just as long as you are taking care of yourself, old friend.

Though I begin to wonder if I should close this place. You and I are about the only ones that really come here. The refuge is well and truly dead.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:59 am
I think just about every RP guild I've seen is dead, unfortunately.  

welian

Crew

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:10 pm
Unfortunate, yes . . . making me question what this place is actually for anymore. Not the guild- Gaia. it is a social networking site, so that is valid, but other than a cash sink what else is left? It used to support activity, community, interaction. Now it supports cash, making it less appealing than ever. I may be going down the same road as Sama-san did. Albeit far slower, but virtually none of my old friends are here.

As for the refuge, I don't know. it's just kind of existing and I feel like I failed it. I know I didn't, that Gaia failed it, but still.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4196 4197 4198 4199 4200 4201 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games