Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4201 4202 4203 4204 4205 4206 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:38 pm
Not a bad outcome, then. I know how much your extended family stresses you out.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:11 am
They do. A bunch of self-important gossip mongers constantly obsessed with the goings-on of the world around them and wallowing in their own lack of possessions. The exception to the rule being my father-in-law. A good man, one who worked himself ragged from the age of 15. When he passes (which I feel will be within the next few years), the family will implode on itself. I will be watching from the sidelines with a bag of popcorn.  

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Talon StarDrifter

Aged Citizen

11,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 pm
honestly it's amazing to me that you are all still here even after all this time.

i doubt any of you remember me (besides welian? maybe?) but i'm the other talon, maybe you remember that.

but anyways, nice to see you all still around and kicking, though i'm sorry to hear about the general troubles.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:25 pm
Talon StarDrifter

It's not entirely fair . . . but I remember you. It is possibly because I am the first Talon. *warm smile* This place is my online home and has been for far too long to fully abandon it. Everybody is still welcome, of course. I know we are a bunch of misery-guts lately but kinda feels that way with everybody gone.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:56 pm
@Talon: I do recall the discussion when you joined regarding nicknames and such, though not much else.

@Magni: it's always such a sorry sight when the matriarch or patriarch holding a family together passes away; things just get so petty and vile.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:58 pm
Talon StarDrifter

MOTHERFUKKIN' GLUGGLES  

welian

Crew

Talon StarDrifter

Aged Citizen

11,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:21 am
@magni
nah man i don't blame you, gaia is such a ghost town these days, has been for a long while. lost touch with a lot of good friends, sadly.

@yoder
not to worry, i really wasn't super present in here. back when i was still an avid role player, guilds didn't support the kind of layouts i'd grown to like. but i appreciate the fact that you remember me at all!

@welian
ALL THE GLUGGLES
gosh it's been ages!! how are you? alive and kicking, which is always a plus :')

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:37 pm
Is gaia a ghost town? I thought it was still thriving and this was just the RP guilds that were dying. If the site is doing poorly, that makes me feel a fraction better. I keep several on my friendlist that I know will never return. I also keep the litany of leaders here in my head like Swan, and Tana. I've had good friends here, and they have almost all moved on. There have been loves as well, but I still am here while virutally all are gone. At this point, Yoder is one of my oldest friends, having been consistently friends with me for over 13 years thanks to this site. I keep trying to drift from here . . . but I'm too stubborn to move on. sweatdrop

Yoder, it seems that neither is doing fairly well. My father in law is getting on in years, but my mother in law seems to be aging poorly at this point. Neither are falling completely apart or going in the next few minutes. I just see the age on them at this point. I suppose that is expected of individuals in the 65+ range and a hard life.

Indeed . . . all the gluggles!  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:13 pm
Gaia as a whole doing poorly was also unknown to me though unsurprising given the problems in the economy and running of the site that are only not starting to be addressed thanks to the return of the original management.

A few more years and I'll have been a member of Gaia more than half of the years I've been alive.

Yeah, I know how you feel; my parents had me when they were older, so they're up there in years as well; at least my father is doing okay for the time being (intermittent but slowly worsening heart issues).

Thanksgiving weekend sure was busy, and now 4 delightful weeks of vacation! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:51 am
I think part of the reason Gaia has gotten smaller over the years is simply because the forum software is ancient. Gaia was founded in a pre-smartphone, pre-responsive era. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and recreate the site on a modern platform like XenForo.

EDIT: Also, I am alive but not really kicking. The last of my childhood pets in on her deathbed. It's going to be so strange, living in a house with no cats, aftter growing up with 3-4 at a time. The house is so quiet now.  

welian

Crew

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:38 pm
The most emphatic of hugs for you, Wellie. I can empathize with what you are going through . . . and it is difficult. May your furry sibling find peace and freedom from their pain- in one way or another. Perhaps callous of me, but I wanted to make sure the furry one is not in pain.

Gaia is both ancient and driven by the accumulation of wealth. All the site seems to want to do is gather the money of its users. In lieu of that, there is the 'free' gaia cash from doing surveys and such. I have yet to make that work. I do one survey, and it links to another, and another. It is a neverending stream with no benefit. I neither care enough to keep going nor have enough drive for GCash to try. In the meantime, the very things that drew people to the site such as RP, interaction, and activity are now distant memories. Small wonder this place is not doing well.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 pm
True, PhpBB is very old, and Gaia has so much custom coding they can't even update to the latest version of that. Plus PHP is now out of fashion such that finding programmers willing to sift through all the code has to be difficult.

I'm sorry about your impending loss.

Forums in general aren't as popular due to social media, and RP as a whole is dwindling (based on what I've heard from MMOs that used to have huge RP servers/areas/guilds and such).  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

welian

Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:21 am
On the bright side, Roll20 and Tabletop Simulator have kept dice games fairly popular.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:29 pm
welian
On the bright side, Roll20 and Tabletop Simulator have kept dice games fairly popular.

you have my attention. These are unfamiliar.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

welian

Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:01 pm
Magni Prime
you have my attention. These are unfamiliar.

Tabletop Simulator is $20 on Steam. By itself, it does nothing. However, you can download a multitude of free workshop mods for it which emulate various other games.I personally find it a little unwieldy to learn how to navigate the camera and controls at first, but it's still a great way to play lots of various board games with friends.

Roll20 is a popular website for simulating tabletop RPGs specifically (Tabletop Simulator seems to cater more toward general board games). I've never used it so I can't say much about it. I've heard rumors that the community can be a little toxic when it comes to finding a new group, but it's still super popular and not too much of a problem.

Then there's just various subreddits for RPGs in general:

Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4201 4202 4203 4204 4205 4206 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games