Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4202 4203 4204 4205 4206 4207 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:05 pm
I see. well, I don't have two nickels to rub together, so a $20 purchase on a platform I have never used is out of the question. Doesn't really matter. I have nobody to play on a regular basis anyway.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:10 am
Magni Prime
I have nobody to play on a regular basis anyway.

Hence why I linked the Looking for Group subreddit. There might come a point where you have the time to join an online tabletop group.  

welian

Crew

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:27 pm
Indeed, there may be. Oddly enough, I was discussing with my older daughter about finding some of her peers that would be willing to play tabletop. I'd far prefer playing, but I'd run for some kids for a while. Goodness knows I'd like to see my riders campaign go further than it did on the initial run.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:13 pm
Tabletop Simulator is pretty useful; I mostly use it to play board games I own w/ non-local friends. Also a good platform for testing mechanics if you're tinkering w/ designing a new board game (and I'm always fooling around w/ some video or board game concept).

I can imagine you being an awesome GM for your kid's friends, Magni.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:59 pm
To hear my brother talk, I am legendary. His girlfriends seem to echo that idea, but I have self-esteem issues that insist that they are just being nice. In any case, if it comes together, I would offer my riders campaign again. That deserves to get far more of a playthrough than it got.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:01 pm
Maybe one day you'll be as kind to yourself as you are to others.  

welian

Crew

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:58 am
Hopefully your DMing goes well if you end up doing so.

I'll actually be starting up a campaign soon as well; it's been years since the last time. First time using an adventure path (War of the Burning Sky), so we'll see how that goes. xp  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:03 pm
I appreciate the sentiment, Wellie. I truly do. I don't know why I am always so hard on myself- perhaps it is 'comfortable.' Just what I have always done. That said, I will abuse myself and let a lot of things slide on me. However, the moment somebody I care about is slighted, I'm a goddamn roaring ball of fury.

I wish you luck, good sir. Stick to something you are passionate about and can work with. DMing is a lot of work, but playing with everybody can be a great bit of fun. I was winging it pretty bad when I ran my Riders campaign, and honestly that made it a lot more fun. Also, my players did not get health points. twisted They would be given damage to tally and keep track of- but no idea how close to death they were. In truth, the damage was meaningless. I was taking into account just how they were hurt instead. A slice can do as many points of damage as an arrow through the leg- but one will pierce and hurt like hell to walk on. The other will disconnect muscles and require a lot more healing before even trying to walk. That kept the players on-edge, and made them acutely aware of what they were doing.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 am
My group has always been passively against published adventure paths b/c we like our custom settings & storylines, but the last few before we stopped playing derailed. They were also only DM & 1 player and played entirely remotely, which didn't work out well; we never had problems with a larger group in-person. But, if this goes well, who knows?

Ah, that sounds like a fun DM trick. There are so many fun/evil things a DM can do to enhance an experience. twisted  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:46 pm
-Peek-  

Disturbing Tale Teller

Fuzzy Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:13 pm
Hey goosey!

Yes, there are all sorts of evil tricks. One that I saw was to not give your players their stats. However- when they do a roll, you can tell them their bonus. If they know the system, then they know what that translates into. Like one system I know gives bonuses on 16 and up. Like a +4 bonus on a roll would be 19 on that related stat. It is interesting to make them more engaged. The curiosity of not knowing can make them both nervous and want to figure things out. That means trying all sorts of nifty tricks and such to really push that adventure further.

another trick I saw that I thought was hilarious was a player rolling for meta-knowledge. Like Deadpool, the understanding and omnipresence to know they are in a game, that they are simply stats on a table and dice rolls. That would be a really fun thing to play out as a character.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:00 am
Hey people.
Thought it might be a good idea to get back into using this site. I miss how it channelled my ADD  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:02 pm
Ello, Goosey & Skreemer!

Not sure I'd go so far as to hide their own character sheets from them, but Gnome Stew has a lot of good GMing advice.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:37 pm
So, thought you guys might like to know I'm working as an indie writer now with a collective I founded with my friends from Boston and LA.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:28 pm
Sounds nice, Skreemer . . . I do some writing work as well as a ghost writer. What kind of things do you write?  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4202 4203 4204 4205 4206 4207 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games