Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4219 4220 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:21 pm
Adulting is like that. A cycle of crushing work, just enough time to recover, rinse and repeat. Particularly in this economy. I call it subsistence working. Historically, subsistence farming was growing enough food to survive. It feels the same way with money these days. A sad reality in our oligarchy.

The closest I've come to liking westerns as a genre has been Logan, and some star trek. Same concept, but through a different lens.

No, I have not a switch. Nintendo has not excited me since the SNES. Admittedly, I look forward to an opportunity to get a SNES Classic. If I can.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:46 pm
Man, between Tumblr and Gaia, my corner of the internet has been in rough shape this month.  

welian

Crew

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:11 pm
Have you started Detroit?

My brother got a SNES classic, and it's pretty great at recreating the feeling of gaming back then, and the too-short controller cables force you to sit in front of the TV just like back in those days too.

@welian: A lot of changes in the online sphere as of late. I almost feel bad for Gaia, but it's too far gone for even Lanzer to save, most likely. I just don't know how much of a pay-positive userbase they have for this e-begging.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:58 am
Yoder
@welian: A lot of changes in the online sphere as of late. I almost feel bad for Gaia, but it's too far gone for even Lanzer to save, most likely. I just don't know how much of a pay-positive userbase they have for this e-begging.

I'm going to stick around - I'm interested in seeing what will happen next.  

welian

Crew

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:50 pm
I'll be staying on Gaia as well. I definitely don't want the place to shut down, but they sound to be in dire straits based on the recent announcement.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:41 am
Yes, Wellie . . . A real situation of throwing out the baby with the bath water. Instead of tackling the very real and significant problems on their platforms, they chose a nuclear approach. It ruins as much as it saves, and the problems only multiply.

As for Gaia, with my hermit nature, I've stayed to the guilds for years. Not once venturing out into the site proper, and that results in a cynical view. Shocker, I know. But Gaia has been a dumpster fire for a long time. Only now they are begging for money to put out the flames. I have no hope of seeing any demonstrable changes, but can't seem to quit this place. Come hell or high water, I will be here to the end. *shades of Ains Ool Gown*

Honestly, I've eyed up the SNES Classic for a long time. The resurgence of their stock means I might have a chance. The C-Note price tag is a problem, but we shall see.

Yoder: No, I did not start it quite yet- though I am eager to. It was a Christmas present, so I didn't want to open it until time. Soon, and thank you again!  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:01 am
An Overlord fan, I see. Good taste.

Price tag is a little high, though lower than buying those games individually on Virtual Console in the past.
A shame the Sony's PS1 Classic was a dud; here's hoping Sega can deliver on their Genesis Classic.

@Detroit: All right, no rush; I was merely curious.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:01 am
An evil protagonist? Fantasy? Harem? How could I not be interested?!? cool

Yeah, the thing is a bit expensive- but several games on there are calling me, so I will see if it can't be purchased. Yes, I know roms are cheaper, but I am a console kind of person. Plug n play, minimum risk of conflicts. That, and my living room TV is a hell of a lot better for gaming than my laptop.

Detroit is less of a game and more of an interactive movie. Not a complaint in the slightest, just an observation. It is beautiful and moving, with interesting character development in what little I have managed to find time to play. I actually am playing on the easier difficulty because I wanted the story . . . and then thought I actually lost a character! O_O but no, he just woke up broken and dumped in a junkyard. Ooof.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:33 pm
Fair enough. Last season "That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime" began airing on Crunchy and is continuing into this season. This season "Rising of the Shield Hero" begins soon on Crunchy. Neither matched OverLord exactly, but i imagine you'll find something there to like (and if not "Saga of Tanya the Evil" on Crunchy from a few years ago is very OverLord-like).

Apparently it flopped so hard that it's available for half price nowadays, so that has me reconsidering a purchase where I had previously dismissed a buy.

Yes, it is to me a better revival (along with Until Dawn) of the old point&click adventure genre than TellTale's output.
Difficult is really just for timing of the quicktime events.
The game doesn't throw the possibility of character death at you quite that early at least. smile
I'm glad you're enjoying it thus far.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:18 am
I've been watching slime, and frankly enjoying that. It takes the isekai genre and does it justice. Yes, the protagonist is way OP, but they give good reasons for it to be. I find it funny and frankly entertaining. As for shield hero . . . I've heard of it. And the idea of the hero losing everything and then becoming the greatest just out of spite appeals to me.

I've heard so many things about the PS classic . . . like poor frame rate, inferior versions of games, and frankly the lineup really doesn't do much for me. It's a hard pass for me. Not a hated one, just a disappointment. Sony needed to do better than to just throw anything out there. (says the guy holding onto a copy of a truly terrible game just because it was the first one he ever played on a PS)

I finished my first playthrough of Detroit. Had a mostly good ending- but in the exodus from Jericho I lost Kara and Alice. That hit me so hard that I quickly quit to the menu, and replayed the entire section over again. I was torn on what choice to make in that moment, and chose the wrong one. After having spent so much time controlling and caring for those characters, I could not accept their deaths. Just . . . no. Hell, I even went and posted on facebook about it.

Quote:
One of the great Joys about video games is that you can really immerse yourself in the story. The characters matter more to you than most, because you identified with them. You made those choices, they are an extension of your will in that world. Then comes the point where something happens. Something unfortunate, something hideous. Something you absolutely cannot accept. In my case, it happened in a game that's designed to allow you the freedom of choice in many situations that lead up to those consequences. You know what? I would rather restart this entire section over then let those characters die. No regrets. I won't let them go.

I didn't play this game for specific goals, only as myself. I played the game in a way I want to see it Go. In accordance with my morals, and my decisions. I choose to not let a woman and her child die. Not from my choices, not on my watch.

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm
I've already read the manga for Promised Neverland, but it's so nice to see it finally animated! ^^
Boogiepop And Others is starting well, much better than the old Boogiepop Phantom.

True, its downsides are significant enough that I might stick w/ emulation regardless of the price point.
I have a SNES Classic, so now to see which classic console comes out next (aside from the Genesis one that's known already).

That final segment can be rough b/c it's so time sensitive & tense.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Exploring the ending is part of the fun, as they run the full gamut between the 4 main characters surviving & all 4 dying.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:29 am
More than anything else, I admit to wanting an SNES classic for the Seven Stars Mario RPG (a classic), and the turtles beatemup. That was a hell of a fun game back in the day. Others are decent on there, but those are my frontrunners. Of course, that means I might have to save up a bit, and with the influx of new transformers (as well as higher price points ugh), that might not be doable.

On my initial runthrough, I still lost Kara and her large friend, but little Alice made it. A sad ending, but one I can respect. The sheer mass of different options makes the game a completionist nightmare . . . I want to find out more, but will give it a bit. The real downside is that I played it how I wanted to, no goals, no guides. Just played it how I wanted the story to progress. That means to play it again would be to do something other than I want to do. It will be awkward.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:34 pm
Mario RPG is great, though I prefer Paper Mario 1 & 2 to it.
FF6 is also an excellent inclusion. Have you played it before?

True, replays are inherently tainted with fore-knowledge, but I guess you could think of it as more of an intentional exploration of the narrative possibility space (too meta to retain suspension of disbelief, but investment should still be sustainable).  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:53 pm
I've never played paper mario. Other than the seven stars, the only one I've played was bowser's Inside Story. As for FF, nope. Only played a few of them and 6 wasn't one of them.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:47 pm
If you ever have the opportunity, you'll like Paper Mario 1/2.
I'm thinking about finally getting FF10 when it comes to Switch, though I still have Yakuza 0 on PC (I started during the holiday break and haven't played since) to get back to.

WarGroove, coming out on Feb 1, is looking like a great Advance Wars homage.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4219 4220 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff