Welcome to Gaia! ::

Classical Musicians Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Classical, Musician, Band, Orchestra, Choir 

Reply Classical Musicians Guild
Introduce Yourselves to the Guild Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 27 28 29 30 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Marie-Cris

Salty Phantom

24,100 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:07 pm
heart ... Autumn leaves fall and are swept out of sight ...

@ Cobolt: It's because my voice has been changing quite a bit lately; sometimes I can get high but lose my low range, sometimes I can get really low and lose my high range, and while midrange is always pretty strong sometimes both my top and bottom falls out.

Plus it might have had something to do with the meds she was on at the time ((she's had a big bout of illness for the past year' or so)).

... So are the memories of love that we knew ... heart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:26 pm
It's not just based on range, nor is it something that can be confused by temporary fluctuations like that. Mostly, it's tone. Your voice is either reedy and dark (mezzo), strong and traditional (dramatic), or flexible and fast (coloratura). Very rarely you find true contraltos, who have very low and rich voices. It also has to do with where your breaks lie. If you know where yours are, I can help you figure it out.  

Cobalt

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:38 pm
Man is condemned to be free. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Can't forget your light & fluffy lyric, there! xD

But that gives me an idea...it would be fun to do a thread on voice types and figuring them out...I don't know much about it at all, though, so Cobalt, if you want to do something like that, it would be quite fun.

A fashion is nothing but an induced epidemic. ~George Bernard Shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:44 pm
YES, great idea. Someone get the Vocal fourm running wink All of you vocal people, that forum was paid for just for you. mrgreen So go talk away in it. blaugh I know nothing about singing so I have a hard time starting something off in there.  

`Kel`
Captain

Cobalt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:45 pm
*facepalm* I did forget lyric soprano. Yarrr. I guess there's also spinto and soubrette, too.

Sure, that might be fun.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:19 am

I'm definitely not a lyric. *is jealous of Taryn Fiebig*

I have no idea about my breaks. I didn't know I had any; just thought I'd keep rolling downhill until I hit something. XD

In other words, I'm not familiar with the term when it comes to vocal ranges.

Marie-Cris

Salty Phantom

24,100 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Bookworm 100

Cobalt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:59 am
Breaks in your voice are the spots where you switch registers. They're also called passagio. Your voice has several breaks, since you have several different registers: chest, mixed, head, whistle, and falsetto (for guys). The passagio between each is a spot where, if you sang a descending slide on "ng" you would notice your voice "jumping" or switching. The easiest to tell is between chest and mixed, somewhere around B below middle C and F# above it.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:15 am
Ok...

I play piano, accordion, and I'm just starting violin. I compose a lot. Next year I'm attending a boarding school for sixth-form which is famous for it's music department, as I was awarded a scholarship. I live in England. I've been into "classical" music for a long time.  

Le Aristocrat

Savoy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:35 pm
Hi! I'm Alej (pronounced Ah-leh), or Savoy, which is fine too.

I'm a Music Major entering my Junior year (and boy am I terrified/excited). My concentrations are Vocal Performance and History and Theory. I sing with the ever-resourceful Savoyards (Gilbert and Sullivan), the charming University Singers, the dramatic Opera Society and Opera Studio, and the most harmonious Chamber Chorale. I sing alto and love it heart so much.

Next Quarter, I'll be studying abroad in Oxford, where I will most assuredly find myself a couple of choirs, and have already found myself a voice teacher (yay)! While I'm there, I'll be working individually with a professor on a thesis on Baroque Opera in England.

I also work in the Choral Studies Department (as a librarian and doer of odd-jobs), a general librarian in my school's Music Department, and tech crew for department concerts.

Essentially... I grew up knowing I couldn't pursue music, but then I did anyway. And I couldn't be happier. I'm so happy studying classical music, and I'm always eager to learn, so I hope I learn some things from hanging out with you cool people!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:40 pm
Hello, everyone. smile

I'm Sparkler (no, this isn't my real name either), and I am training to be a classical vocalist heart ! I am a first soprano, and I am specifically training to be a coloratura soprano (think... the Queen of the Night Area). I attend a magnet art high school that is 6-12th grade, and I am going to be a senior next year. I have been a member of our top choir at the school since 8th grade where I am now the soprano section leader, and I have also been a member of a professional choir in Portland, Oregon for a little over a year now. I sang at Carnegie Hall with a large choir two Decembers ago for the world premere of Eugene Butler's Emanuel. As a soloist, I'm an active member in competitions in master classes, and I recently was in a Classical Singers competition in New York where I made the Semi-final round. I also take part in a lot of shows at our school, and my two recent rolls were "Angelina" in Trial by Jury by Gilbert and Sullivan and "Liesl" in Sound of Music (which was SO AMAZINGLY FUN!) And that's pretty much it. smile I'm currently working on my audition tape for college, and I'm planning on attending a music conservatory.

So, I pretty much am in love with classical music. This guild is fantastic! I'm so excited to be a part of this guild and meet people my own age who don't think that classical music is boring or annoying (it is a rarity, seriously). I think we are going to have such a strong community here. Let's keep classical music alive for at least our generation! 3nodding Nice to meet you all! I look forward to hearing about everything you all do!  

Dainty Sparkler

Dainty Sparkler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:43 pm
Quote:
Essentially... I grew up knowing I couldn't pursue music, but then I did anyway.

Same here. I was really wary about studying that would be an "unstable" carreer choice. But I love it too much, haha... smile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:52 pm
Cobalt
Breaks in your voice are the spots where you switch registers. They're also called passagio. Your voice has several breaks, since you have several different registers: chest, mixed, head, whistle, and falsetto (for guys). The passagio between each is a spot where, if you sang a descending slide on "ng" you would notice your voice "jumping" or switching. The easiest to tell is between chest and mixed, somewhere around B below middle C and F# above it.

I'll have to explore that in my next lesson then ^}_^

And welcome to all the new members!

Marie-Cris

Salty Phantom

24,100 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Bookworm 100

Diablo en Musica 92

Benevolent Gaian

17,225 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:46 am
Um Hi im Dwight-Anthony Hayes (Muiscalmaster92)

I play many instruments, Violin, cello, bass, oboe, flute, all the clarinets, Alto sax, Taro Sax, some brass like trumpet, trombone and tuba (not very good at the brass), and piano, also i write my own music at Green Bay, WI, East High School. Im one of the top like 15 violinist in my school. My favorite composers are Vivaldi, Mozart, Holst, Bach, and Handel. East High School of Green Bay Wisconsin is my favorite place to learn and explore music to the fullest ^^

I've play string instruments for 6 and a half years (main)

Woodwinds for 3 and a half (second)

Brass and others groups for about a year and a half (Last)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:26 pm
Le Aristocrat
Ok...

I play piano, accordion, and I'm just starting violin. I compose a lot. Next year I'm attending a boarding school for sixth-form which is famous for it's music department, as I was awarded a scholarship. I live in England. I've been into "classical" music for a long time.

I envy you - I tried learning the accordion a few months back, but the teacher I found was an absolute knob, and the accordion itself was putting a lot of strain on my already weak back...saw a guy play a Bach Fugue on one, which just looks absolutely insane... even a straight melody line suddenly becomes a sadistic game of ping pong for the left hand mrgreen ...

What kind of stuff do you compose? Anything you'd care to show off?  

liebestraume

Erdbeeregerechtigkeit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:14 pm
Hey! I'm Keelin or Erd. I play viola for my high school's orchestra. I started in 6th grade and have love it since! In 8th grade I joined Junior Youth Symphony which is the city symphony for junior high students. I'm now in high school and I joined the 11th grade level orchestra as a freshman. I was going to join Anchorage Youth Symphony which is the high school level symphony but I couldn't try out due to a broken arm. So I was stuck with just school orchestra.  
Classical Musicians Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 27 28 29 30 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff