Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pokémon Defenders

Back to Guilds

A Guild for all lovers of Pokémon! 

Tags: Pokemon, gaming 

Reply Pokémon Defenders
Random Chatter III: VENGANCE OF THE RANDOMS Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 143 144 145 146 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Melody Hikari-Shinu Anson

Fluffy Bachelorette

10,250 Points
  • Married 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:56 pm
Oh, I'm sure you'll land just like a feather! biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:34 pm

And shatter like glass. cry  

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0

Fluffy Bachelorette

10,250 Points
  • Married 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:23 pm
[Philosophy In A Teacup]

And shatter like glass. cry

What if we wrapped you up like that mom did to her kids in that one commercial? [I think it was a commercial for Chuck E. Cheese's?]  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:26 pm
*starts jumping around and spazzing* Eeeee~ Onemanga has Pokemon Special! |DDDDDDDD

too bad it's only up to chapter 97...  

Fluffy Bachelorette

10,250 Points
  • Married 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:38 pm
Hey Tiiiippy~?
Remember how I'm learning EV training? Good. >3

Well, here's the scoop. I read up on it on Serebii, and am currently Speed-training my Milotic from lv 1. It's lv 8 now, and I was just wondering...

I have a PKRS-infected Milotic 1st in my party, holding the power anklet. I fight Staravia (for it's 2 Speed EVs), and switch out to Sudowoodo. Once Staravia is defeated, my Milotic should gain 8 EVs in Speed, from what I gather (As it seems the +4 from the anklet is added after the 2 EVs are doubled). Well, in this sense, with 4 EVs = 1 Speed pt, is it possible to, at higher levels, get lots of pts (4+) per level? I hope I'm making this understandable. >.o

I'm also going to be training my Milotic in Sp. Atk when it's 255 Speed EVs are gained. >3 (seeing as how 510 is the max per Pkmn)

Wow, I think I get this pretty well. xD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:00 pm
Fox Demon Shippo
Hey Tiiiippy~?
Remember how I'm learning EV training? Good. >3

Well, here's the scoop. I read up on it on Serebii, and am currently Speed-training my Milotic from lv 1. It's lv 8 now, and I was just wondering...

I have a PKRS-infected Milotic 1st in my party, holding the power anklet. I fight Staravia (for it's 2 Speed EVs), and switch out to Sudowoodo. Once Staravia is defeated, my Milotic should gain 8 EVs in Speed, from what I gather (As it seems the +4 from the anklet is added after the 2 EVs are doubled). Well, in this sense, with 4 EVs = 1 Speed pt, is it possible to, at higher levels, get lots of pts (4+) per level? I hope I'm making this understandable. >.o

I'm also going to be training my Milotic in Sp. Atk when it's 255 Speed EVs are gained. >3 (seeing as how 510 is the max per Pkmn)

Wow, I think I get this pretty well. xD

Oh good. For a moment there, I thought it was the dreaded, "Which gets calculated first? PkRus or Power items?"

But you're wondering if... At higher levels you can get more EVs per level? Like, if at higher levels the +(number) boosts when you level up will be higher?

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:17 pm
Yes, because you have to fight more of the certain Pokémon to gain a level.

Let's say I have my Milotic fight a Staravia, and gains a lv. For all intents and purposes, Milotic had a blank EXP bar, so no EVs for the lv it's gaining. I get 2 EVs from that Pokémon, for that level.

BUT. If I'm at a higher level, I'd have to fight MORE Staravia to gain a level. I'm just wondering if the number stacks, in other words...If I fight Staravia and it takes me more than 1 or 2 to gain a level...will the EVs I gain continue to climb? Or because I've just been fighting Staravia only give me a couple Speed pts?

BTW, just wondering, I do have the hang of this, right? ^^;

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:09 am
Fox Demon Shippo
Yes, because you have to fight more of the certain Pokémon to gain a level.

Let's say I have my Milotic fight a Staravia, and gains a lv. For all intents and purposes, Milotic had a blank EXP bar, so no EVs for the lv it's gaining. I get 2 EVs from that Pokémon, for that level.

BUT. If I'm at a higher level, I'd have to fight MORE Staravia to gain a level. I'm just wondering if the number stacks, in other words...If I fight Staravia and it takes me more than 1 or 2 to gain a level...will the EVs I gain continue to climb? Or because I've just been fighting Staravia only give me a couple Speed pts?

BTW, just wondering, I do have the hang of this, right? ^^;

WELL

Let's say you have a L.1 Pokémon. By L.10, you're done EV training it and start level grinding it to L.100. The stat bonuses the Pokémon gets will be fairly normal-looking, despite the EV training. The EV-focused stats might be a bit higher, but they'll still be single-digit gains.

But let's say you have a L.75 Pokémon. By L.76, you're done EV training it and start level grinding it to L.100. The stat bonuses in this case will be huge (like, +30 each level gain).

But don't worry. No matter what level you start EV training a Pokémon, by L.100, ALL the EVs will be counted. The difference between the two situations above is that the lower-level Pokémon has a longer time in which to incorporate the EVs (90 levels to, actually), while the higher level Pokémon only has about 24 levels in which to incorporate the exact same amount of EVs.

It's like, 2+2+2+2+2=10 versus 5+5=10.

Make sense?

Or are you asking if at higher levels you have to fight more EV-givers? If that's the case, no, no, no. No matter what level you start EV training at, you always fight the same amount of EV-givers. This is because no matter what level, each Pokémon can only gain 510 EVs (with a maximum of 255 per stat).

You don't have to be EV training in order to gain EV boosts, either. Most, if not all, people EV train first, then level grind, because once you reach the 510 max, the Pokémon can no longer receive EVs and therefore can battle whatever it wants without fear of ruining its training.

So a L.1 Milotic and a L.50 Milotic would both fight 255 Bidoofs for 255 HP EVs and they'd both receive the same amount of stat boosts upon L.100 (assuming they both have the same Nature and IVs, but those are different stories).

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:11 am
Okay, Thank you so much. Nice explanation; I'm terrible with those, IMO.

One more question...a specified Pokémon of any level will give me the same EV boost as any other level of the same Pokémon, correct?

As in, is there a difference in EV gain fighting a lv 5 Bidoof, as opposed to a lv 25? (hypothetically, of course)

ALSO, not to attack you with more questions, but I tried to read up on IVs and I don't fully get it. @_@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:55 pm
Fox Demon Shippo
Okay, Thank you so much. Nice explanation; I'm terrible with those, IMO.

One more question...a specified Pokémon of any level will give me the same EV boost as any other level of the same Pokémon, correct?

As in, is there a difference in EV gain fighting a lv 5 Bidoof, as opposed to a lv 25? (hypothetically, of course)

ALSO, not to attack you with more questions, but I tried to read up on IVs and I don't fully get it. @_@

No worries~! I'm glad to help. 3nodding

And yes, no matter how high level the EV-giver is, it will always give the same amount of EVs. So a L.85 Bidoof will still give one HP EV, just like a L.3 Bidoof.

As for IVs, think of them like the "genes" of a Pokémon. There are six IVs (one for each stat), they range from 0 to 31, and are determined the moment the Pokémon hatches or is encountered. They cannot be changed and simply give an additional stat boost to the stat they're in.

Like, let's say you have two Milotics who're exactly the same. But one of them has a 31 IV in Defense, the other one has a 0 IV in Defense. At L.100, the first Milotic's Defense stat will be 31 points higher than the second Milotic's due to IVs.

IVs can certainly make or break a fight, but that usually only happens in high-rank competitive battle, like official tournaments. So don't worry yourself over trying to get Pokémon with good IVs.

Clearer? 3nodding

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:48 pm
A slight bit, but regardless a good-IV Pokémon would be good though, right?

Is there any good (possibly easy) way to figure out IVs for any lv Pokémon?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:25 pm
Fox Demon Shippo
A slight bit, but regardless a good-IV Pokémon would be good though, right?

Is there any good (possibly easy) way to figure out IVs for any lv Pokémon?

Yes, it's always good to have a Pokémon with good IVs, but it's not something to tear your hair out over.

As for IVs, the quickest and most easy way is to use an AR. I've got an "X-Ray IVs" code that shows the IVs of a selected Pokémon on my TMs (like, the quantities of TMs 1 through 6 will be somewhere between 0 and 31). But barring that, I've found Serebii's IV Calculator to be pretty decent. No need to know anything fancy; Just your Pokémon's nature, stats, and if they have any EVs.

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:49 pm
Well, from what I've read (and tried the calculator on), it seems my Milotic has a good IV in ATK, even though that stat isn't very high...? o.O?

(it has a personality that promotes ATK IVs, or so I read; the calc says it's anywhere from 27-31)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:26 am
Fox Demon Shippo
Well, from what I've read (and tried the calculator on), it seems my Milotic has a good IV in ATK, even though that stat isn't very high...? o.O?

(it has a personality that promotes ATK IVs, or so I read; the calc says it's anywhere from 27-31)

Each Pokémon has base stats, too. And if these base stats are low, even a good IV/beneficial nature/EV training won't raise it much. And unfortunately, Milotic has a really sucky Attack stat (base 60, whereas base 100 tends to be the minimum for a "good" stat).

Also, Natures and IVs are totally independent and have nothing to do with each other. Natures raise one stat by 10% while lowering another stat by 10% (except for the five-ish neutral natures, which don't do jack). So, Adamant, for example, gives Attack a 10% boost (in addition to any IVs and EV training) while making the Special Attack 10% lower than normal.

So a Pokémon can still get good IVs in their sucky stats. It's called Arceus hates you. rofl

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:30 am
I saw your status thing. xD

Also, that sucks. o.o
So I should just train up my Milotic in Special Attack like I was gonna? xD

Pokémon Defenders

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 143 144 145 146 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games