Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Left Behind first person shooter given to wartime troops. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:41 am
http://www.atheistnation.net/news/?atheist/article,00090

Basically what's happened is that a crappy video game with a violent Zionist agenda, promoting the "convert or be killed" mentality (no, really, if people don't convert to Christianity your army must kill them - curbside slaughter under religious terms) is now being distributed to troops in Iraq.

With the US government's sponsorship.

See my remark (third comment) on the article for my thoughts.

In this thread please do not discuss video game violence in general, but please do discuss the possible impacts this could have on our troops. Also, feel free to share how you feel Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins feel about the fat government check they got.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:52 am
To be fair, the Pentagon should throw in Grand Theft Auto with this Bible game. Then when the troops realize their playing a game that is both rightous as well as a piece of a** shooter, they can begin to relax by stealing a car then picking up a hooker.

I'd be slightly more worried if "Left Behind: Eternal Forces" was somewhat enjoyable, but all the reviews I've seen point to the contrary.  

Matataur

Cirosan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:57 am
I think I'm gonna be sick.

Not because of my distaste for religion, but whenever I see the Constitution being violated... It's like a parasite of dread clings itself to my subconscious, biting and injecting me with its venom of dread and disgust, and I just can't quite seem to shake it off.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

The Constitution of the United States of America is the greatest document ever written in the history of the world. It alone guaranteed rights and privileges to its citizens that no other country could. I like to think of it as an insurance policy, if you will, one that says, "I'll give you all of these rights, if you're willing to go to any means to defend them."

If you can't protect or abide by the Constitution, then I'm sorry, but you don't deserve those rights.

Frankly, I feel like walking up to whoever is in charge of this and slapping them across the face with the Constitution.

For the love of Zenithar people, how hard is it to ******** understand, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."? It's real simple: Don't do anything encouraging or discouraging religion.

Besides, for the people laying down their lives for the country (despite doing so for a false cause, Zeus bless 'em), they deserve better than "Left Behind: Eternal Forces". Send them Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, an Elder Scrolls game, but at least give them quality stuff. And throw in a couple hi-def televisions and high-tech computers, while you're at it. At least give them a half-decent stress-relief tool.

Not to mention this is going to burned-out, stressed people fighting back a panic attack after a long day of life threatening duties. This isn't exactly a good way to remind them the world is an okay place, let alone how to respect your fellow man. A fine example of brainwashing at its best.

I say again, I think I'm gonna be sick.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:17 am
Crap I was going to put this up but I wasn't able to get on all day.

Also it looks fun to play I mean to play as the anti-christ.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Ammonia Spike

7,650 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:43 am
Oh my (nonexistant) God.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:39 am
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
Does anyone know of a website where I can send letters to atheist troops, kind of like Operation Dear Abby but without all the religious flim flam?

EDIT:
Bubblegum Eternity
Oh my science.
fixT
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:15 am
    • I was trying to find a better article about this.
      I think this one has some more info too-
]http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion?bid=15&pid=220960  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:58 pm
Well, as the great R. Lee Ermey once said, "God has a hard-on for Marines".

But to be honest, I don't think the solution to all the hardships our boys and girls overseas are facing is going to ultimately be religion. They're probably bored as hell when they're not on duty, and worried about how much cover they have when they're on duty. The solution, it seems to me, would be best manifested as mass shipments of Xbox 360s, copies of Gears of War and Oblivion, and finally, some BODY ARMOR. I think in the end, morale and protection are gonna be more valuable to a soldier than a poorly-made video game.  

ProjectOmicron88

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:27 pm
Or they could play guitar hero and PARTY LIKE A ROCKSTAR!

I think that would bring peace to the Middle East.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:29 pm
The article over-hypes it. It isn't about slaughtering civilians, nor does the picture represent the true nature of gameplay. It's a matter of using non-combat units to, literally, convert neutrals to perform tasks, and killing only those that have been taken and trained by the opposing player.

Nevertheless, it's an utterly insensitive to give this to the men and women fighting in the middle east right now.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:45 pm
Why would they want to play what they easily do every day in real life?

It's like me playing a game called "Sit at home and do nothing"  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:54 pm
Baron von Turkeypants

Because the Pentagon is using it as a way to humanize themselves to the public and the military by shipping a cheap, critically-hated game to the troops in lieu of vital equipment such as body armor?

Honestly, this is pathetic. Not too long ago the Pentagon prevented soldiers from accessing computers, citing lapses in productivity. Yeah, stop goofing around at work, soldiers on an involuntarily-extended tour of duty in the Sunni Triangle of Death! Play this piece of propaganda instead!

People risking their lives for America deserve better than that.  

Cirosan

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:12 pm
Baron von Turkeypants

The Sims?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:28 pm
At least you can become president in that one sad

Or, you can do this!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yhZI8GfCdqM  

Baron von Turkeypants

Jessica Malatori

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:25 pm
Gosh, they're gonna be like

"Wtf, this sucks"

The Government probably can't afford any other game to distribute to them lmao!

xd  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces