Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The moon does not produce light. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matataur

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:21 pm
I know there are already too many topics here involving religious people denying facts, and some of you may have already seen this on Digg, but this is too darn funny to let slide. Bill Nye in Waco

Summary:
Bill Nye, aka "The Science Guy", was booed in Waco for pointing out that the Moon reflects the sun. Apparently, this is wrong because God says so.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:04 pm
What the articles won't tell you about is how Bill Nye then evaporated the audience with his satellite-targeted particle cannon. Science always prevails. People just can't handle being proven wrong with dignity, I suppose.

'Cause Bill Nye is awesome.  

ProjectOmicron88

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:39 pm
Why do you guys hide in this guild instead of help me refute paranormal claims sad  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:48 pm
“We believe in a God!” exclaimed one woman as she left the room with three young children.

Haha, that's like us going to a church and saying:
"We believe in evolution!" And walking out.

JadeDragonSoul

Matataur

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:37 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
Why do you guys hide in this guild instead of help me refute paranormal claims sad

Give me the place. I'll be there.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:50 pm
Well I'm not so sure now because they made me a mod... hmmmm.  

Baron von Turkeypants

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:41 pm
Bill Nye was my hero when I was a kid.

...and now I remember why. blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:59 pm
hmmm well as always when a verse is quoted, i have to see how accurate the words were and it shows the same in my bible.

secondly i did research, as usual with a commentary to see if maybe there was a metaphorically meaning of any kind and there was none.

now to get technical because im just that detailed. if you look just at the basic grammer of the sentence from genesis it just says two great lights, neither of which in the verse stating of HOW the lights well..."emit" light.

so even if the moon itself does not give off its own light, its still lit up in the sky at night because of the sun. and because the reflection is emitted far away, it becomes a "lesser light".

so its quite possible people are just interpreting wrong? the verse never said the moon emits its own light. just said, one greater light and one "lesser" light.

does that make sense? so either way at least from how i see it, nothing is getting denounced and those Christians that left the room are getting highly OVER defensive over really nothing at all.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:18 am
Quite possible? I'd say obvious.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:28 am
Baron von Turkeypants
Quite possible? I'd say obvious.

yeah basically lol heart  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Cirosan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:40 am
Those people need to get their priorities in order. If you're so vastly offended by a man saying that the moon does not produce light but rather reflects it, you have lost sight of what is truly important. You are so amazingly privileged if fact is your worst problem. I feel sorry for the children of these people.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:27 pm
Baron von Turkeypants

Why? We're too busy engorging ourselves in sinful activities! (just joking)

What can one except? Does anyone know about all the stuff that happened in Waco? The place there is deeply religious, and some remenants of that occult still exist there.

Really though, why take offense? It's true. It's not like it's challanging anything major, right?

Sanguvixen

Oracle for Hire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:51 pm
This seems like the most apprpriate topic for this quote.

"Get too close to the sun and all you will do is burn." -Ed Elric

We've even landed on the moon, and theres nothing that can illuminate. The religious nuts also forget to explain New Moons.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:37 pm
Sometimes a cigar...
Actually, I might recant that... I might need help.
...is just a cigar.

Baron von Turkeypants

Fuzzy Kittens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:10 pm
I find the comments to the article more entertaining than the article itself.

Quote:
How sad to see that there are so few Christians who will come to the table on this. The moon is indeed a light in the night sky. How it derives that light is not the issue.

The sun is self light, the moon is reflected light…so what…they both give off light in the sky.

From this perspective the Biblical account is correct.

Bill did not make his hands or his feet. He doesn’t make his own heart beat. All of these are perfectly suited to their tasks.

Most researchers of DNA admit that there is intelligent design evidence in the strands of DNA that they study. The Human Genome Project, an attempt to draft a rough map of the human genome, was concluded and the details of the “genetic information,” which highlighted how superior God’s creation of living beings is, have been revealed to mankind. Today, everyone who considers the results of this project and finds out that a single human cell contains enough information to be stored in thousands of encyclopaedia pages, grasps what a great miracle of creation this is.

The first verse of the first chapter of the first book of the Bible says, In the beginning, God–not chaos, not some nebulous cloud of gases–created the heavens and the earthº (Genesis 1:1). And a few verses later, “God created man in His own image; He created him in the image of God; He created them male and female” (Genesis 1:27). God formed man out of what? Previous life forms? Apes? Beasts? “And God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul” (Genesis 2:7). This is the truth of God’s Word!

God created this wonderful world for you to live in and enjoy, and He is the only One who can give meaning to the universe and purpose to the planets and love to our hearts and peace to our minds and health to our bodies and rest to our spirits and happiness to our lives and joy to our souls.

We have established that the moon is quite bright. Yes. Thank you, Bible, I would've never figured that out otherwise.

I don't know what the rest of the babble's about. Is he trying to justify people walking out in a huff, or did he just go on a tangent? Because really, there has to be a better quote to use than the one about people being made of dirt and wind shooting up their nose.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff