Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"Oh, my God!" Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:12 pm
Say it.

No, really. Say it.

It's just a phrase. You will not suddenly turn into a stark-raving mad Christian cult lunatic just because you say it. Nor will it happen if you say "bless you" when someone sneezes.

Seriously.

What the ******** phrases that are so culturally ingrained into our society that they have no religious meaning anymore.

Sorry. rolleyes This was brought on by all the fluffy Wiccans who are like, "Oh, my Goddess!"

"Oh, my Goddess." No. Just no.

Discuss: Do you use phrases that have religious connotation? Do you try to avoid them? Do you "modify" them? Do you use them, but only out of habit? Why or why not?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:52 am
SCIENCE HELP US.

Joking aside, I use "Oh my god" out of habit. Same with "bless you". "Jesus Christ" or "god dammit" are worse than cursing in this household. I use them out of habit, too. Pure habit. It certainly isn't gonna kill me.  

PrezarioKaiser

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:59 am
Sometimes a cigar...
I won't lie, I say Oh My Science.

I love South Park.
...is just a cigar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:20 am
Usually Oh My God is said out of habit, as well as God Damnit, though I am now tempted to use Oh My Science... Would be awesome... But ya, phrases like OMG and God damnit have lost their ture meaning over time, and it's kind of sad in a religion-is-being-integrated-into-all-of-society-way.  

Death God Hitsugaya

Minaberries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:09 am
I remember in 6th grade that my friend would always correct me about that,

"Its Oh my, gosh. Not, Oh my, God"

It used to bug the s**t out of me scream  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:23 am
Sometimes a cigar...
You mean it used to bug the poop out of you.
...is just a cigar.

Baron von Turkeypants

reverie0312

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:20 am
I actually say "Oh my god" way more now than I did when I was Christian, because I used to consider it a sin (taking the Lord's name in vain, ya know).

I've considered removing it from my vocabulary, but I figure the fact that it's blasphemy covers any residual religious invocations the word might have had.

Anyways, it's just a word.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:34 am
Fairyfly
I actually say "Oh my god" way more now than I did when I was Christian, because I used to consider it a sin (taking the Lord's name in vain, ya know).

I've considered removing it from my vocabulary, but I figure the fact that it's blasphemy covers any residual religious invocations the word might have had.

Anyways, it's just a word.

But thats not even the supposed Christian God's name! Its like, Yahweh, or Yeshua or something.
"OH. MY. YAHWEH." I tried that once in front of my Christian friend who did the exact something ("It IS Oh my gosh, not Oh my God. Get it right, goddamnit!") And she had no problem with it. gonk It made no sense.  

Karla Marx

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:37 am
I say "Oh, my God!", "Jesus Christ!", and "God damn it!" for one reason: It's not the words, so much as it is the context in which you say them, and the context of the environment (i.e., people who are hearing you say it).

I also use the curse "gorram it" from the series Firefly as a substitute sometimes, or "Great Old Ones!" (Lovecraft reference)...my friend got me into the habit of both.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:21 pm
I say "Oh your God!". Thank you, Futurama.

Otherwise, I tend to combine religious phrases with curse words.

Fuzzy Kittens

Oracle for Hire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:23 pm
One of my favorites: Jesus tap-dancing Christ!!! I mostly use when hearing 9 year-olds over Xbox live.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:59 pm
When I get angry, I say "God Damn't!" a lot. I say Oh my gosh a lot too.

xD  

Jessica Malatori

Duchess Raanin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:12 pm
Hm.
I say 'Oh your God...' or 'OHJEHOVAH'.
I do say 'holy s**t', 'God damn it', and 'Jesus Christ'.
Why? I'm being raised by Christians, and they find it offensive...

Plus, my mom has a lot of Jehovah Witnesses as friends... and I know a couple... So, I guess that became a habit. And a couple of people in my area are super Christians and jump at the sign of me saying their Lord's name in vain.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:54 pm
Actually, I just thought of something. Why do people who say "holy cow" think it's not offensive? It stems directly from Hindu mythology...so why do they feel it's appropriate to substitute it for "Jesus H. Christ"?

I guess blasphemies are interchangable. I wonder what the conversion rates are?  

ProjectOmicron88

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:12 pm
Sometimes a cigar...
2:1
...is just a cigar.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers