Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I don't think I really belong here. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xiporah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:50 am
I don't know where I belong in the whole atheist arena, really, which is why I don't post here a lot.

Everyone here seems so damn smart about everything, like they can see something to intellegently discuss and be like I'LL TAKE THE CASE and pull a volume of awesome facts out of their a**! It's pretty awesome, but I can't do that.

Everyone seems to have come to a conclusion based on years of ardent research and scholarly soul searching.

I think I'm just...not religious. Do I believe in a God? No. Why? Because religious people believe in God and I'm not religious, plus it sounds like a stupid concept. I wasn't raised religiously and I have no interest in learning about God or religion because I think it's mind numbingly boring. I had no interest as a child, and I have no interest as an adult.

That's my stance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:35 am
Sometimes a cigar...
It seems to me most people's arguments here aren't really based on reason, all they do is inject their posts with some emotional ranting and leave it at that.
...is just a cigar.

Baron von Turkeypants

PrezarioKaiser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:24 am
Baron von Turkeypants
Sometimes a cigar...
It seems to me most people's arguments here aren't really based on reason, all they do is inject their posts with some emotional ranting and leave it at that.
...is just a cigar.

However, at the exact same time, some posts from other people are just mind-numbingly beautiful in the sense that they've completely mastered the English language and that they know exactly what they're talking about. Of course, this is a snazzy illusion and probably far from the truth in a number of cases, but either way, I can see where she's coming from. It gets intimidating.

Point is that there's a lot to be learned here. When you hang around people whose belief system is founded on FACT, naturally you're gonna learn something. I check this guild twice daily (which is a metric ******** considering my minimal Gaia usage) and learn something new every time. Sometimes it's mind-blowing, sometimes it's trivial, but it's always worth sticking around for and simply contributing when you can.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:06 am
Sometimes a cigar...
Maybe I don't read those posts because I don't read the long ones User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
...is just a cigar.

Baron von Turkeypants

Xiporah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:52 am
PrezarioKaiser
Baron von Turkeypants
Sometimes a cigar...
...is just a cigar.

However, at the exact same time, some posts from other people are just mind-numbingly beautiful in the sense that they've completely mastered the English language and that they know exactly what they're talking about. Of course, this is a snazzy illusion and probably far from the truth in a number of cases, but either way, I can see where she's coming from. It gets intimidating.

Point is that there's a lot to be learned here. When you hang around people whose belief system is founded on FACT, naturally you're gonna learn something. I check this guild twice daily (which is a metric ******** considering my minimal Gaia usage) and learn something new every time. Sometimes it's mind-blowing, sometimes it's trivial, but it's always worth sticking around for and simply contributing when you can.
That's very true. But things tend to...not stick with me. I can listen to a podcast and have it go in one ear and out the other. Everything about it will make sense when it's being said, but five minutes after it's done, I couldn't even begin to tell you the key points.

Reading is a bit easier, but a lot of the things discussed in here require a basic religious background knowedge of one or more religions. Seeing as the main body of my religious background knowedge comes from christmas carol lyrics and that Charlie Brown special, I'm screwed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:30 pm
Xiporah
That's very true. But things tend to...not stick with me. I can listen to a podcast and have it go in one ear and out the other. Everything about it will make sense when it's being said, but five minutes after it's done, I couldn't even begin to tell you the key points.

Same. Bloody annoying >_>
Especially if I get distracted by something else entirely and miss out on half the podcast because of it xD

Xiporah
Reading is a bit easier, but a lot of the things discussed in here require a basic religious background knowedge of one or more religions. Seeing as the main body of my religious background knowedge comes from christmas carol lyrics and that Charlie Brown special, I'm screwed.

I have a catholic background, and frankly I do envy you in part. I still have some hangups from it. I mean, I have zero problems with gay people, they can do what they like, as far as I am concerned it's their business alone. But still... they do kinda creep me out a little... I think I hide it fairly well though ninja  

Redem

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:25 pm
You belong.

Never feel bad for just being quiet.

I'm glad you're here.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:33 pm
You SOOOOO belong here! Remember, indifference is the goal! As much as I like to debate theism, I'd much rather live in a place where nobody gives a s**t. Cause let's face it, why spend all day thinking about something you don't even believe in. Plus, and more importantly, this guilds is also supposed to be a place for Atheists to just...chat! Hense, the random sub forum. It's a great place to just talk about whatever, which we encurage (spelling?)! It's nice just to be able to talk to people, and here, no matter what you talk about, at no time, will anyone say "Well, I don't believe in that because the bible says it's wrong!" Which makes my p***s shrink. So put in when you feel comfortable, and feel free to start threads that pertain to your interests in the random sub.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:11 pm
Dathu
You SOOOOO belong here! Remember, indifference is the goal! As much as I like to debate theism, I'd much rather live in a place where nobody gives a s**t. Cause let's face it, why spend all day thinking about something you don't even believe in. Plus, and more importantly, this guilds is also supposed to be a place for Atheists to just...chat! Hense, the random sub forum. It's a great place to just talk about whatever, which we encurage (spelling?)! It's nice just to be able to talk to people, and here, no matter what you talk about, at no time, will anyone say "Well, I don't believe in that because the bible says it's wrong!" Which makes my p***s shrink. So put in when you feel comfortable, and feel free to start threads that pertain to your interests in the random sub.

First he talks about his p***s, then he talks about putting stuff in.

I thought I was the only one for you, Dathu!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:11 pm
Sometimes a cigar...
I know what you mean about podcasts. I was trying to listen to the NPR interview with Rock about Hell's Kitchen and I was IMing at the same time and I had to keep listening to parts over cause I was missing them.
...is just a cigar.

Baron von Turkeypants

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:16 pm
Theophrastus
Dathu

First he talks about his p***s, then he talks about putting stuff in.

I thought I was the only one for you, Dathu!

mrgreen Well, I'm a slut.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:27 pm
Xiporah
Everyone here seems so damn smart about everything, like they can see something to intellegently discuss and be like I'LL TAKE THE CASE and pull a volume of awesome facts out of their a**! It's pretty awesome, but I can't do that.

Everyone seems to have come to a conclusion based on years of ardent research and scholarly soul searching.

I certainly hope I am not pulling my facts out of my a**, as you put it; that would hurt. Seriously, though, the ability to recite certain factual information from memory just takes time. For many of us dedicated to science, atheism, reason, and so on, we have to use references and look up the facts before we report then - and this is a good thing. Don't worry if you have to do some research before posting. If you have taken the time to reference your thoughts and words, you will be that much more certain that what you are saying is correct.

Also, you will find that the longer you learn about what interests you and talk about it, the more easily and naturally it will come. Maybe at this point in your life, the great big arguments between atheism and theism are only of passing interest to you, something you can identify with on principle, but don't feel inclined to dive into head first. That's OK. I am sure there are many different things you are very knowledgeable about that you could tell us all about in depth. Just because you are not as deeply interested or knowledgeable about what some others are does not make you any less smart or capable of a person.

Hang in there, keep your chin up, and give yourself time to grow. You'll be fine.  

Rohkaze

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:30 pm
I don't feel like I belong here either. I'm not very "bright" and most of the stuff I say is rather unintelligent and makes little to no sense. I stick around to try and become smart or at least see what's going on in the world. Believe me, you belong here, I really don't.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:23 am
Dathu
Cause let's face it, why spend all day thinking about something you don't even believe in. Plus, and more importantly, this guilds is also supposed to be a place for Atheists to just...chat! Hense, the random sub forum.
That's my feeling in a nutshell, and my reasoning behind joining.

Xiporah

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:35 pm
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even I feel the same way you do sometimes...and I'm a moderator for this guild! gonk (Well, I don't post here as often as I used to, but that's not the point sweatdrop )

I'm the same way in real life, though. Then again, it's probably because of all of my disabilities. (Asperger's Syndrome, etc.) I have a tough time saying things in a way that makes sense and I feel overwhelmed when I see posts by people in this guild that are more intelligent and meaningful than my own. gonk

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff