Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Maya Help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Krystalinn

Hallowed Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:59 pm
Though I'm not quite sure if 3d rendering is quite graphic design I thought that this might be a good place to get some answers.

I'm trying to teach myself how to use Maya. I got the Maya Personal Learning Edition. I figured I'd use the free learning edition before I decided to shell out big bucks for the actual software. Anyway I'm coming aloing pretty well I've been following a lot of the tutorials on Alias' web site.

I decided to do the tutorial on making a skeleton but for some reason when I use the joint tool it keeps everything on one plane. Also sometimes no matter where I click it doesn't make a joint, and I make sure I still have the joint tool selected and still nothing. I was wondering if any of you could help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong. It's really starting to frustrate me. Any help is greatly appreciated and any links to good tutorials is also appreciated. Thanks smile .  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:54 pm
Hmmm, not sure about Maya but I use Softimage. And yes, this stuff is basically the core of high end graphic design nowadays, and may be a little too advanced for this place, which may be why I'm the only one who answered so far.

From what I've heard Softimage and Maya are similar in a lot of aspects, the only difference is that people who have used Softimage say SI4.0 is better, while Maya users say Maya is better. Well go figure... xp

Anyway, in Softimage to create a skeleton there are multiple options, create a 3d chain or a 2d chain. Maybe in maya its the same, and your clicking the one for 2d chain instead. If this isnt it, make sure you rotate your camera angle when creating the chain because when you create stuff its actually creating it on a 2d plane projected by the camera.

I find its easier to just import a skeleton model rather than make my own. I think maya should have that option, if they dont they are incompetant razz As long as your making some kind of humanoid, its the best choice. Softimage came out with a quadraped skeleton rig for 4.0 which is nice since most animals on earth are quadrapeds.

Hope that helps, and BTW I had to teach myself Softimage because nobody on my island knows how to use it. wink  

EmeraldSnake

rogue_designer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:51 pm
I realize its a bit late... but here is a tut.

http://www.simplymaya.com/movie_pages/tutorial.mhtml?tut_id=36  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff