Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
The Other Teasing Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hello again!
  Hiya!
  Who are you again?
View Results

Goarmy Pikiwanis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:37 pm
So, I haven't been around here in a long while, have I? I haven't even been on Gaia for the longest time.

So, I shall celebrate my return with many reviews and this, a very short five-paragraph essay I did for school.

The Other Teasing

“What are you, blind?” “Dude, that’s so retarded!” “You’re such a dumb blonde.” So many phrases have come into language today. However, like the ones stated above, not all are kind. More and more, different mostly unalterable conditions have been taken and twisted to become derogatory slurs.

For as long as there has been language, there have likely been slurs around. From curse words to brazen terms, there is an infinite number of ways to insult a person. Each day it seems someone comes up with a new phrase or word. Words that were once innocently used are twisted and maligned to hurt others. For example, the word “blew” as it is usually known refers to the past tense of blow. However, people have warped it for use against African American Jews.

A growing trend in society today is to take different physical and mental characteristics and pervert them into something horrible. For example, calling someone “blonde,” far from saying they have flaxen hair, is now used to call a person dumb, ditzy, and even worthless. Another common one is “retard.” Many people use it to call someone or their actions stupid. People who use such terms in these manners are merely showing their ignorance towards people who actually have mental retardation and/or blonde hair. They are being cruel towards individuals who are hardly different than them, but enough so that they feel superior enough to make fun of them.

Both children and adults use derogatory terms and phrases. The ever increasing numbers can be partially blamed upon example. Younger children see their brothers, sisters, parents, other relatives, and older friends use the speech, and they decide to use it too. When no one stops them, they find it to be considered no big deal, so they continue on. Their children then hear it, and so on. Now is the time to teach them that such talk is malicious, and that even if the way it is used seems good-humored, it is rude and just plain mean.

The commonality of the terms mentioned above along with others shows just how accepted this slander has become. It seems no one cares anymore that what they are doing hurts not only the one they are teasing, but those who actually have whatever characteristic they are vilifying. It is the job of this generation and others to stop it in its tracks. If the next generation does not hear such slurs, and/or are told of their cruelty, they are less likely to use them.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:58 pm
And guess what's insiiiiide it?

lovely essay. Really understood it. Go you.

NOW BE ACTIVE!

ninja *disappears* ninja  

KirbyVictorious

Goarmy Pikiwanis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:00 pm
Inside what?

I shall try to be more active now. In particular, I need to read a book I hear is called Ametris by one KirbyVictorious? Reese has insisted I do so ASAP.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:17 pm
The jar o' dirt. xp

I remember you. It has been a while since you've been on, hasn't it? Anyway, if you're cool with Reesu-san, you're cool with me. Nice to have you back. 3nodding  

Voxxx

BlackHawkGS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:58 pm
Wow, I was actually thinking about this the other day. I swear, kids are learning to use cuss words at younger and younger ages by the day. We're going to have pre-schoolers cussing each other out soon enough.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:06 pm
I've heard it from third graders on the bus. And one five year old I was watching said something that made me stare and give him a time out.

Little kids are like monkeys. Monkey hear, monkey do.

And of course, besides this, there's the outrageous intolerence in the world today. It makes me very depressed.  

Reese_Roper

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:49 pm
Ametris is freaking awesome, I highly recommend it. If only I could write like that.... crying

I freaking hate people. scream  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Man, if you could write like that, you'd be awesome!  

Reese_Roper

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:33 pm
I knoooooooowww! crying Lik4e sucks now, thanks a LOT.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:55 pm
Nice essay. Very well thought out and well spoken. You could be a motivational speaker. ^^  

Spastic waffles
Captain

The ill stared knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:31 pm
Goarmy Pikiwanis
So, I haven't been around here in a long while, have I? I haven't even been on Gaia for the longest time.

So, I shall celebrate my return with many reviews and this, a very short five-paragraph essay I did for school.

The Other Teasing

“What are you, blind?” “Dude, that’s so retarded!” “You’re such a dumb blonde.” So many phrases have come into language today. However, like the ones stated above, not all are kind. More and more, different mostly unalterable conditions have been taken and twisted to become derogatory slurs.

For as long as there has been language, there have likely been slurs around. From curse words to brazen terms, there is an infinite number of ways to insult a person. Each day it seems someone comes up with a new phrase or word. Words that were once innocently used are twisted and maligned to hurt others. For example, the word “blew” as it is usually known refers to the past tense of blow. However, people have warped it for use against African American Jews.

A growing trend in society today is to take different physical and mental characteristics and pervert them into something horrible. For example, calling someone “blonde,” far from saying they have flaxen hair, is now used to call a person dumb, ditzy, and even worthless. Another common one is “retard.” Many people use it to call someone or their actions stupid. People who use such terms in these manners are merely showing their ignorance towards people who actually have mental retardation and/or blonde hair. They are being cruel towards individuals who are hardly different than them, but enough so that they feel superior enough to make fun of them.

Both children and adults use derogatory terms and phrases. The ever increasing numbers can be partially blamed upon example. Younger children see their brothers, sisters, parents, other relatives, and older friends use the speech, and they decide to use it too. When no one stops them, they find it to be considered no big deal, so they continue on. Their children then hear it, and so on. Now is the time to teach them that such talk is malicious, and that even if the way it is used seems good-humored, it is rude and just plain mean.

The commonality of the terms mentioned above along with others shows just how accepted this slander has become. It seems no one cares anymore that what they are doing hurts not only the one they are teasing, but those who actually have whatever characteristic they are vilifying. It is the job of this generation and others to stop it in its tracks. If the next generation does not hear such slurs, and/or are told of their cruelty, they are less likely to use them.

The past of swear words and the like is vast...but, I find, it is not the words that hurt so much as the people who decide to use them.

Let me ask you something though: You have already admitted to the ignorance of those who use such words in a derogatory manner, so why should it matter what said ignorant say?

brazen phrases and the like will always be there in one form or the other, so why pay attention to it? Who cares what the hateful and ignorant say? They walk the path of those who do not or will not understand themselves and others, they are pitiful and, most often, do not deserve attention.

I don't think its the fault of the words but the beings that use them.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:38 pm
KirbyVictorious

how you write is up to you kirbs....o.O tis silly to think that you are ill equipped when you can build skill so easily.

Plus your already a fantastic writer kirbs. I'm confident that any writing savvy you don't already possess, will come with any effort you put forward to attain such savvy in the future.  

The ill stared knight

Reese_Roper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:13 pm
The ill stared knight
KirbyVictorious

how you write is up to you kirbs....o.O tis silly to think that you are ill equipped when you can build skill so easily.

Plus your already a fantastic writer kirbs. I'm confident that any writing savvy you don't already possess, will come with any effort you put forward to attain such savvy in the future.

Nova, it was a joke, you know. xd

Other post: That's like saying "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." The point Lyssa is trying to make is words hurt. Even if you tell yourself to ignore it because the other person is just being stupid, the seed has been planted. When watered by repetition, the seed grows. It doesn't take a tolerent, intelligent person to create a garden.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:35 pm
Kirby is a writing genius. DAMN I wish I was her. crying  

KirbyVictorious

NovaKing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:18 pm
Reese_Roper
The ill stared knight
KirbyVictorious

Nova, it was a joke, you know. xd

Other post: That's like saying "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." The point Lyssa is trying to make is words hurt. Even if you tell yourself to ignore it because the other person is just being stupid, the seed has been planted. When watered by repetition, the seed grows. It doesn't take a tolerent, intelligent person to create a garden.

But verbal abuse feeds on response...Ignoring it might not stop it but it certainly is a lot better than alowing it to grow. You can string it any way you like but if you can ignore it than it can't touch you.

THe case is fickle, but more often than not, your opinion of your self is the only one that matters. People can call you whatever they like, but your word is the final verdict. You are the one who decides your choice of action, no one else.  
Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff