Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I hate youtube. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sloth Prince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:14 am
Alright, so I got into an argument with some idiot on youtube.
Apparently, there's not enough evidence for evolution, so evolution must be a myth.

D:
Help me out here?
His name's gnatural.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaCi_JJLCyY#Q1ypJnerRQc

Basically, I'm really bad at arguing evolution with someone who denies everything I throw at him.
mad

That and youtube's stupid new comment system is making things rather difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:30 am
There's not enough evidence for creation, so creation must be a myth.

D< The Theory of Evolution isn't perfect, that's why it's not a law, but it's just.. utterly childish to toss all the research we've done out the window and give up just because creation sounds better.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Redem

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:48 pm
In science Laws are basically short descriptions of relationships in nature. Commonly mathematical in nature. They're no more"proven" than theories.

And are hypothetically easier to disprove.

Theories are large scale explanations of observed phenomenon, and are the work of many people over many years. Each refining the model to better explain the universe.

Theories are the ultimate goal of science, not Laws.

I'll post a few things on the thread, but I rarely hang out on youtube much, PM me if you need anything specific.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:52 pm
Redem
In science Laws are basically short descriptions of relationships in nature. Commonly mathematical in nature. They're no more"proven" than theories.

And are hypothetically easier to disprove.

Theories are large scale explanations of observed phenomenon, and are the work of many people over many years. Each refining the model to better explain the universe.

Theories are the ultimate goal of science, not Laws.

I'll post a few things on the thread, but I rarely hang out on youtube much, PM me if you need anything specific.

Le sigh.

Forgive me if my education of definitions is not enough for you, but if the goal is not to determine an absolute truth, a law, then what would make an educated conclusion, a theory, so much more worthy of praise?  

Tenth Speed Writer

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:28 pm
Tenth Speed Writer

D< The Theory of Evolution isn't perfect, that's why it's not a law, but it's just.. utterly childish to toss all the research we've done out the window and give up just because creation sounds better.
Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson.
What do you mean "isn't perfect?"
They will, in fact, calm up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:14 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
Tenth Speed Writer

Are you claiming it is?  

Tenth Speed Writer

Redem

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:27 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Forgive me if my education of definitions is not enough for you, but if the goal is not to determine an absolute truth, a law, then what would make an educated conclusion, a theory, so much more worthy of praise?

Two reasons.

One, laws do not represent absolute truth. Newton's laws of gravity for example, they're just vague approximations that only work at low relative speeds, and not near large gravitational bodies.

And two, the whole point is to find explanations, not just characterise relationships.

With theories are where we find out why things happen. Knowing why things fall is more useful that simply knowing that they do.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:06 pm
Redem
Tenth Speed Writer

Two reasons.

One, laws do not represent absolute truth. Newton's laws of gravity for example, they're just vague approximations that only work at low relative speeds, and not near large gravitational bodies.

And two, the whole point is to find explanations, not just characterise relationships.

With theories are where we find out why things happen. Knowing why things fall is more useful that simply knowing that they do.

Again, forgive me for having a different definition.  

Tenth Speed Writer

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:12 pm
This is where people get confused. A theory does not mean a guess, or even an educated guess. A theory is a well-established, well-documented fact. Remember that we have something called the theory of gravity. Now in mathematical terms, gravity is a law. The term "law" as it's used in science refers to a mathematical construct, whereas a "theory" refers to a scientific construct.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:15 pm
ProjectOmicron88
This is where people get confused. A theory does not mean a guess, or even an educated guess. A theory is a well-established, well-documented fact. Remember that we have something called the theory of gravity. Now in mathematical terms, gravity is a law. The term "law" as it's used in science refers to a mathematical construct, whereas a "theory" refers to a scientific construct.

No, and forgive me again for disagreeing with definition, but a theory is not a fact; it's a hypothesis for which the evidence is strong, and for which there is little or no respected counter proof after extensive research.  

Tenth Speed Writer

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:00 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
ProjectOmicron88

No, and forgive me again for disagreeing with definition, but a theory is not a fact; it's a hypothesis for which the evidence is strong, and for which there is little or no respected counter proof after extensive research.

Sorry, I just caught that. Let me rephrase: A theory is a collection of well-established, well-documented facts, presented as truth based on current scientific knowledge.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:18 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Baron von Turkeypants
Tenth Speed Writer

Are you claiming it is?
Yes, I am. Now please stop avoiding the question.

Baron von Turkeypants

Minaberries

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:33 pm
That vid pissed me off  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:20 am
Baron von Turkeypants
Tenth Speed Writer
Baron von Turkeypants
Tenth Speed Writer

Are you claiming it is?
Yes, I am. Now please stop avoiding the question.

...I mean that it isn't perfect?

You can't say it is. There's always something new to be learned. Such a claim is just counterproductive arrogance.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:00 pm
Please stop avoiding the question. All you have to do is show me how it isn't perfect. Instead, you resort to ad hominem attacks.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces