Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Round Table (Discussion and Debates)
Elf vs. Human Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elfshaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:58 am
Because I am an elf kin I have deep pride issues. I thought it would make an interesting discussion on whehter elves as a race are superior or inferior to humans. As long as no direct insults to elves are made I think we can keep this fairly controlled and civilized.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:52 pm
Given that there's a huge range of definitions for what an elf is (and, indeed, /wether/ elves exist), I doubt much of a debate could come from this, but hey...

Assuming their existence, I personally withhold judgment on them until I see them. XD  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Elfshaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:44 am
Mitsh
Given that there's a huge range of definitions for what an elf is (and, indeed, /wether/ elves exist), I doubt much of a debate could come from this, but hey...

Assuming their existence, I personally withhold judgment on them until I see them. XD

I am defining elves as creatures slightly humaniod but with more distinct featuers and with heightened sense. Their abilities in magic are more than any human can manage. But yet their are people that say humans are superior because of technology which the elves have none of.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:45 pm
I would say that elves are better than human, but I am slightly biased considering I am one...er was one in the past.

Anywho, people claim that the technology of humans are far better, but some elfen cultures are way better at technology than humanity.

Elves are way more adept with magic(k) as Sengem said. They did not need to make long drawn out rituals to do a simple spell. Sometimes they did not have spells, actually maybe they didn't. They just did everything naturally.  

Milendil

Elfshaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:06 pm
Well the type of elf that i come from have legends about a type of ancient elf from about five million years ago. Their language has the ability to activate magic that is alot strnger than the current magics possible. So in a sense yes elves do use words. for some spells but that is very rare.
As for rituals that is only for really important things like the rise of a new God and the revalation of someone's Ulo(elven gaurdian).  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:54 pm
Well, I for one see elves and humans are equal when it comes to technology. considering I am an elf, well, one of my 3 souls is. I'm extreamly good with computers as well as other human technology.  

Reinos_beloved

Elfshaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:03 am
HUMAN TECHNOLOGY! Elves themselves have never developed technology of their own.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:45 pm
thats too bad... Im still kinda lost on this elf thing. Can u swordfight??  

Isewolf

Elfshaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:24 pm
Yes. In fact most elves because of their increased strength and increased speed we happen to be superior sword fighters. but their is a type of elf that specializes in axes and another that use staff. and yet another that uses the bow and arrow.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:07 pm
Sengem
HUMAN TECHNOLOGY! Elves themselves have never developed technology of their own.

Except for all of the Elenari branches of Elves that developed technology, and some was pretty inventive. Plus there were some non-Elenari types that developed some interesting tech stuff, but I don't know their name.

Plus you have to define what you mean as technology, manufacturing clay pots requires technology, as does agriculture.

Elves and humans are equal, and that is, inferior to me wink No wait, kidding. While those who deal with me in Kin circles know I have a joking bias against Elves, far too many people I'm close to are Elves.

I think for this debate to be in any way relevant, or intellectual you'll have to add in more specifics. What species/subspecies of Elves? Which World? What paradigm? Then finally in what way are we figuring out if they are better or worse? Your question is like Mammals vs. Reptiles, who is better? Neither, as they both operate in different ways for different reasons. Now if we were compare Jaguars to Geckos as predators, that's a totally different discussion.  

Ges

Kilias.Laphanade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:12 pm
I find it hilarious that elves are so beloved and that direct insults to
elves are prohibited, but if it's to humans it's all okay. Then again, we're all
human here (whether you think you're an elf or not), at least physically.

But yeah. Elves are basically godmoders... they've got better... EVERYTHING.
Even writers think that they're flawless.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:42 pm
Correction. some of us have the lovely honor of not being human. but you have a point. elves tend to be better than humans in almost every physical way. in fact this is making me angry. no one is argueing the humans side very well. so here goes. humans are more versital in weaponry, humans are more creative than elves, humans know more technology than elves. shall i go on? someone argue for the humans please this isn't fun for me.  

Elfshaman

xAikaNoKurayami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:16 pm
Sengem
Correction. some of us have the lovely honor of not being human. but you have a point. elves tend to be better than humans in almost every physical way. in fact this is making me angry. no one is argueing the humans side very well. so here goes. humans are more versital in weaponry, humans are more creative than elves, humans know more technology than elves. shall i go on? someone argue for the humans please this isn't fun for me.

She said physically. Prove her otherwise.

As for arguing for humans; I despise the race, but I'll try and find some strong points.

Let's see.

We definitely know how to blow s**t up.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:59 pm
well, lets just say I tend to agree more with the dwarf/trickster point.
basically, all that you said in modern day and age quickly can become a weakness.
Immagine heightened senses in a city like new york, where you have to wear noseplugs not to puke.
immagine being good with a bow or a sword or even an halberd, when faced with a glock. same goes for magic.

so superiour? maybe.
My basic problem with elves is that they lack difference. basically, the main point that ******** up every overplayed character.
basically, humans are more well rounded, and therefore able to improvise better.
humans seem to reproduce way faster.
and, in da direct confrontation human against elv, you know what you can expect. basically, the elf will focus on the areas where he is good at. increased strength. Increased dexterity. bowfighting. swordmanship. and thanks to his racism, and certain pride issues, he is very likely to underestimate the other person.
The human on the other hand will be way worse in all the features. but what we lack in style, we have in efficiency.
Basically, no other race is trained from birth to grave to improvise as much as we humans. also, we have big diversity. The elf can expect to get in the hands of a gangbanger from LA, who will be really good at slicing and dicing. The elf can expect to get into the hands of a branch davidian redneck, who is very likely to shoot him, and cook the s**t out of him.

So, if that was too sarcastic, let's see. I would measure the superiority of a race in terms of its darwinian progression. basically, that means that the better adjusted a race is to its surroundings, the better they can reproduce.
basically, that one is a clear win for the humans. elves may be superior then humans, but we can outfsck you anytime.

so, to summ it up.

what you have we can take away.
what you use, we can use too.
we are masters at improvisation.
and if anything fails, and it comes to war, there are more of us, and even if you can kill us all, we can reproduce way more easy.

beat that...  

Baltazaar

Mistreena

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:15 pm
So you ARE an elf (I knew it! you guys DO exist!), and there are more of you in this guild posting here. It seems almost as though everyone knows what and who elves are. And I don't.

You are humanoid with more defined features and heightened senses. Do you live amongst humans? Or in an alternate world? Or switch between the two/more worlds?
What about faeries? Do you know if they are real? What they look like, where they live?
Yeah I'll go post this in the Eleven Culture thread.

And I'll agree, it depends on what you are arguing/debating about. In what way are you superior, etc?
you definitely sound cooler to me. And all/most of the stories (which you can't trust anyway, though I'd love to be proved wrong and have the stories turn out right) say that elves are peaceful creatures, are kind, etc. Unlike many humans, who are selfish and uncaring and well....love to make war.

The Round Table (Discussion and Debates)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games