Welcome to Gaia! ::

[MADG] Hangout

Back to Guilds

Formerly the Mil-a-Day Giveaway, this guild is now a just great place to hangout and meet some new friends. 

Tags: [MADG], Hangout, friends, relax, bunnies 

Reply [MADG]
9/11/01 Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

s4mgir1v3rsi0n

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:22 pm
I called her on the phone and she touched herself...

It's just a bit past midnight where I am, and it just kind of clicked (okay so i looked at the date) and realized "s**t, it's September 11th."

I live in Canada, but am quite close to the border. I know it's not quite the same as if I were to live in the states, but the 9/11/01 tragedy still felt like it hit close to home. It was all over the news and we had memorial services and such.

It's kind of crazy to think that was 6 years ago. I remember exactly where I was when I first heard something had happened. It was near the end of lunch time and I was standing outside by the windows of the music room when a girl came back from going home for lunch. She told us a plane flew into the White House. From there rumours and speculation got crazy and we spent that entire afternoon in class talking about it and clearing things up. I was in grade 8 then.

Where were you when you found out? What was it like? Did you know any victims or did you/a loved one experience a close call? Did it have any other significant impact on you personally?

...I laughed myself to sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:34 pm
It was a really hard time
for America.
I didn't directly lose
anyone in the attacks,
mostly because my family all
lives on either the west coast
or further down south from NY
in Florida.
But I was only in fourth grade...
We spent the whole day at school
huddled up under our desks
because I live near JPL and they
feared that might have been a possible
target. I understood then and
it scared me more than I have ever been
in my life.
I cried a lot then.
Even now, when I see anything about
it on TV... I'm disgusted with the world
we live in! How cruel that anyone could
do that to thousands of innocent people.

I like to listen to Yellowcard's "Believe"
and My Chemical Romance's "Skylines and Turnstiles"..
They're inspired by 9/11.

Indulge [In Words]
Crew

Shy Phantom

s4mgir1v3rsi0n

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:43 pm

Yeah, I was 13 which still is pretty young. We were scared for quite awhile that either Toronto would be a target soon after or something closer to the border where I am. There was talk about nukes and stuff.. and if Buffalo or Toronto would have been hit my town would have been screwed, too. Not cool at all. =(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:45 pm
Yeah, it just dawned on me too that it was in fact 9/11.

Because I was only 12 years old at the time, I really didn't grasp the concept well. My friend Kyle had walked up to me and said "Did you hear that two planes knocked down the WTC?" I was like. 'Yeah right. Those buildings were made out of steel, no way in hell they went down.' However, as the day progressed, it dawned on me more. The TV's were all on CNN and every news channel known to man. I really didn't know how much of an effect it had on the nation until I got home and my stepmother was complaining about the rising gas prices.

Six years later, and it still hits me hard. I just listened to "Proud to be an American" by Lee Greenwood, and now I'm crying.

Simplistic-Tyranny

Vice Captain

Dangerous Nerd

Indulge [In Words]
Crew

Shy Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:48 pm
Its so.... unreal...
Even to this day!
I still get freaked out a
bit when I think about it...
If they hit JPL, my
town would suffer the most
damage...
theres rocket fuel in the soil
surrounding that place,
and fire and rocket fuel do not
mix well.
I'm even a bit more scared now
because my HS is less then a mile
away from there. O.O''

I REALLY don't want to
go to school tomorrow. D':

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:50 pm
I was 11 when it happened and I remember that my teacher had left because she got a phone call and no one knew what was going on because she kept going back and forth. Then she finally came in the room with a television and told us that her niece called her who was there at the time and had said that planes just flew into the World Trade Center. At the time I was I didn't understand the severity of the situtation and I was just grateful that it wasn't Chicago, and then we saw the buildings fall, and that's when I got kinda scared.

Looking back on it, it's still scary, and to think that it could've happened to any of our big cities, like Chicago...I'm really glad that I haven't lost anyone to it and sad for the ones who did.

Aakiyana

Norayr
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:55 pm
I remember it was my first day going back to school, in the 8th grade as well.
It was morning and I woke up, but we didn't have time to watch the news like everyone else, but I got to school around 7:30/8:00. My friends were all huddled together, and I got to them to ask what was happening.
They all replied with someone flew a plane into the World Trade Center.

At that point I was clueless as to what was what, but I remembered that we were talking about it, and I was pissed because I felt we weren't going to be able to go to NY with the annual trip to DC the 8th grade class always had (We visited Maryland, NY and NJ). I was very pissed actually. Then later that day, I went back home and turned the news on, and sure enough what they said was true...

Fortunately I didn't lose anyone in that catastrophe since all my family members are either in California or in the East... East as in somewhere in Europe.

But I really can't believe that it's been so many years since then. I was at ground zero on that trip. It was a pretty melancholy scene.

I can't wait till we have the new WTC. There were plans to rebuild it, and I saw them in TIME magazine... but I haven't seen anything else about it since.

Only time'll tell.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:56 pm
I was 12 and in the 6th grade when that happened. Even though I'm American, it had little to no effect on me at the time. I didn't know anyone personally in the World Trade Center, so it just felt kind of distant, I guess. It was one of those "You won't know until it happens to you or someone you know" situations. However, it did register in my preteen mind that it was something big that could ultimately lead to something even more devastating.

I can't say that the event really changed me much. Even as a 12 year old I knew that the unthinkable could happen and that America wasn't invincible. Sure, it was definitely a tragedy, but that's unfortunately the world that we live in now. It's sad that so many people lose their lives to unexpected things like that where no one knows what to do.

T i f a

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100

s4mgir1v3rsi0n

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:58 pm

Ugh, I try to pay an ounce of respect and someone on facebook already is being rude about it. Saying people who post about 9/11 should "sack it up and let it go." Not that it really surprises me who it's coming from. *sigh*

T i f a: Yeah, it didn't affect me personally a whole lot at the time, but there was so much buzz about it and everyone was so fearful. It really has impacted how things are now though. I think if 9/11 hadn't happened I wouldn't be having to get a passport as of next year just to drive over the border to visit my mother. Gas prices likely wouldn't be so bad, it has a HUGE impact on politics not just in the states. There's been so much crap here with if Canada didn't support the war our ties with the U.S. would suffer blah blah blah. I hate it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:01 pm
I was in 6th grade I believe when that happened. I heard about it early in the morning because my dad was stomping up and down the stairs [made me rather irritated -not a morning person-] and was talking about how airplanes hit the WTC and all that. And me, well, I never knew about those buildings until that day. xD;

[I remember some kids got in trouble for pretending to shoot down planes at school that day. >__>; And then we also like...had a moment of silence and talked about how the incident made us feel. rolleyes ]

But yeah, it never did have much of an effect on me, hell, it STILL doesn't effect me at all to this day.
[Yeah, I'm one of those detached assholes.]

I don't know if I'd act differently if I were to have known someone that died in that whole incident or if I lived anywhere near where the planes crashed. Even so, I think I would have moved on by the time 2 or 3 years passed. :/

But I suppose I'm just ignorant to how it effects the nation or whatever. P:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

singull

Sugrie

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:05 pm
I was in 8th grade and remember exactly where I was too. I really don't think about it much anymore. Sure, it was absolutely horrid and how anyone could think of destroying so many lives is completely insane on a totally different level; but honestly, are things any different now with Iraq? Not much, only it's played out in little snippets of hell rather than it raining down on all of us.

The past is the past. There's nothing we can do to change it. For once it would be nice if we could all learn from our mistakes. War is not the answer. Violence is not the answer. Discrimination and hate towards various groups of people is not getting us anywhere and never has.

You know those posters that many doctor offices and elementary schools have? "All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten"? That's what life should be like.

All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I
learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate school
mountain, but there in the sandpile at Sunday School. These are the things
I learned:

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life--learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing
and dance and play and work every day some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and
stick together.
Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The
roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but
we are all like that.
Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the
Styrofoam cup--they all die. So do we.
And then remember the d**k-and-Jane books and the first word you
learned--the biggest word of all--LOOK.

Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love
and basic sanitation. Ecology and politics and equality and sane living.

Take any one of those items and extrapolate it into sophisticated adult
terms and apply it to your family life or your work or your government or
your world and it holds true and clear and firm. Think what a better world
it would be if we all--the whole world--had cookies and milk about three
o'clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankies for a nap. Or
if all governments had as a basic policy to always put things back where
they found them and to clean up their own mess.

And it is still true, no matter how old you are-- when you go out into the
world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

--Robert Fulghum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Sug: Well put. I know nothing can change what happened and I don't like to think about it very often. As horrible as the event was, I will never support the war in Iraq. In my opinion (and I do not feel like getting into a political debate about this) Bush has made things worse. =/

s4mgir1v3rsi0n

GreKaosAngel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:35 pm
Damn, it took this topic to remind me its September 11th...haha...oops

I was in 7th Grade, in Eastern Cultures class, kinda like a history class. We were minding our school business, when the teacher got a phone call and we turned on the tv and the school announced it then.

I got home, my parents were watching it on tv, they told me my Uncle, who's a truck driver was in New York for his job, but he wasn't anywhere near the towers.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:49 pm
I remember exactly where I was when I found out about it.

It was my 8th grade year and I was in Tech Ed. class. Ironicly enough, we had spend the past week learning of building structures and building our own towers out of drinking straws and pins. It was the day we were to test our towers to see if they could withstand three different weights, but then the principal announced for all staff to turn on their televions. After seeing what had unfolded, they expected us to continue class as if it were a normal day, but even the teachers had trouble keeping focus. I still can't believe what happend on that day, and I never will.

Enough said for now..the whole thing makes me sick..  

AWoLShadows

Duchess Dill

Angelic Gaian

12,500 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:46 pm
    Oh yeahh. There doesn't seem to any media coverage at the moment. They normally have special services or a minutes silence. But I haven't heard of anything.

I was in year 7 at the time. Just started secondary school. I remember coming home and my mum was sat in front of the news. She told me that her friend had called her up and said, "look at the news, looks what's happening". While they were talking a second plane hit ><
    It was so unexpected ><

[MADG]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces