Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Christian Dating Networks? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

To Escape Detection

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:46 pm
~x.X.x~

I know this isn't new, but I keep on seeing these ads. It's a thing where you meet up with Christian singles and... I don't even know. Sit and be abstinant? The point is, can you believe the people that are so wrapped up in the religion that they must date other Christians? I mean, these things must be where Neo-Nazis go to meet people.

And, on the subject of dating, this married Christian couple who are friends of my dad have a son who will not even date because he believes God will deliver his soul mate to him. If that's not scary, I don't know what is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:59 am
in the name of misery
~x.X.x~

I know this isn't new, but I keep on seeing these ads. It's a thing where you meet up with Christian singles and... I don't even know. Sit and be abstinant? The point is, can you believe the people that are so wrapped up in the religion that they must date other Christians? I mean, these things must be where Neo-Nazis go to meet people.

And, on the subject of dating, this married Christian couple who are friends of my dad have a son who will not even date because he believes God will deliver his soul mate to him. If that's not scary, I don't know what is.

eww, I hate that. I've had so many (pointless) conversations with my christian friends about dating... They're all under the impression that the other person needs to be christian, and have a belief very simmilar to yours, for them to be happy. As was illustrated by a few events-my gf and I breaking up because I wasnt christian, my friend converting so he could be with a girl he liked who was christian (and also had a boyfriend, and also wasn't interested in him)... rolleyes theists are just weird...  

BuncyTheFrog

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:55 am
That's not that weird nor dumb. Chances are, you'd get along better with a fellow Christian. And as far as marriage possibilities, I can definitely understand wanting a fellow Christian. What would a Christian/atheist couple, for example, do when planning the wedding ceremony (vows, location, etc) and then later with raising their kids? A Christian couple would just have more in common to start out with.
Also, correct me if I'm wrong and you see this Timo or anyone else who knows, but marriage is a union and there's Biblical scripture about not being yoked to an unbeliever. I don't remember the specifics of the scripture. But it's out there if anyone's further interested. It's their preference. We're looking at it from a much different viewpoint. I would imagine it's also a matter of 'comfort level'.
I can't imagine enjoying dating someone who was active in their Church. Do you just never go to any church functions with them? Not do anything on Sundays anymore? Or not until Sunday night? Do you find out when they have bible study meetings and plan your dates around them? If it's a large focus of their life and not a focus of yours..there's quite a difference of interests and priorities there, and it'll probably stress the relationship. On the other hand, some theists don't care about dating those of other religions. It all depends on the person.

I have friends who are Christian. They are a lot like me..except for believing in God. Oh! And two of them are dating, having premarital sex, and the guy gets drunk at parties occasionally! *gasp*

Buncy- Theists are not 'just weird.' They are human beings too. Some are weird, some atheists are weird. But not all are 'just weird' and defy all common sense. I can see how breaking up with someone who wasn't Christian would seem harsh, but hey, maybe it also had something to do with the fact that you hadn't told her beforehand?

People, despite being theist, are still individuals.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:58 am
in the name of misery
~x.X.x~

That's his personal belief. If you believe in God, if you trust him, it's not that much of a stretch to think he might put the right person for you in your life.  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

puresilver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:59 pm
[_caustic_]
in the name of misery
~x.X.x~

That's his personal belief. If you believe in God, if you trust him, it's not that much of a stretch to think he might put the right person for you in your life.

Well yes, but I think that having faith in god for anything is a bit scary...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:09 pm
puresilver
[_caustic_]
in the name of misery
~x.X.x~

Well yes, but I think that having faith in god for anything is a bit scary...

Perhaps. I don't think I'd call it scary. But then, I just don't feel anything at all when I try to imagine it.
If you had faith, then to you I guess it'd be comforting  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

MightyHikaru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:46 pm
Religion -- specially christianity -- is getting realy flexible these days. I mean, there's a whole lot in the bible that people don't follow. Probably the whole Leviticus bit is being ignored, being it 'homophobic' as it is. Premarital sex is also being ignored. By the majority of the people, that is.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:11 pm
I wonder if your dad's friends' son is going to get his soul mate by UPS or Federal Express. confused

Well, no one else had said it yet... anyway, I wonder just what the point of having a Christian dating service is. It's understandable that some Christians wouldn't want to go out with people outside there religion. That's just freaking fine. I wouldn't want to go out with someone who wanted to drag me to church every Sunday, so they probably wouldn't want to date someone who'd complain about them going to church every Sunday. But doesn't the vast majority of the nation (er, well, if you live in the U.S.) believe in some form of Christianity anyway? Makes me think those people using the dating service are just fanatics, who aren't necessarily looking for Christians as much as they are people who are deeply... deeply... deeeeeeeeeeply devout. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily.
Because if all the fanatics are using the dating service, they won't bother all us atheists or non-fanatical theists with their religious ramblings over a cup 'a jo.  

S. Shark

To Escape Detection

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:00 pm
[_caustic_]
in the name of misery
~x.X.x~

~x.X.x~

Yes, except that he won't make any effort to go and meet girls at all. He won't date, either, so I'd like to know what kind of girl will just go and marry a complete stranger.

You know, that isn't mail-order.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:47 am
What I think is the most humorous is that these sites portray these women in a sexually suggestive manner. And here I thought, promiscuity was a sin. rolleyes  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Falhalterra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:43 pm
I keep receiving those stupid Christian Singles emails in my spam folder of my Gmail. It's getting so redudant; they most know I'm an Atheist and they are ******** with me, or they don't know *facepalm*

Plus, I thought Christians were the ones getting hooked and the Atheists were nilch... rolleyes Now look who's talking. razz  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:44 pm
Dathu
What I think is the most humorous is that these sites portray these women in a sexually suggestive manner. And here I thought, promiscuity was a sin. rolleyes

You know, now that you mention it, you're right. That is rather hilarious.  

Arios V

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:02 pm
omg horrible! I wouldn't care what religion the guy I loved would be! But it does cause a problem if you want children. I don't want any but..  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:30 pm
Mizzery
~x.X.x~

hahahaha i hate those.. like im strict atheist.. and im dating a strict catholic.. but i do sometimes wonder if she thinks less of me for being atheist..
and seriously that kid needs to get the priests outta his a** and he needs to go out and have a life.. like thats really ******** up of him iv never heard that happening before..  

Nardone

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:42 pm
Nardone
Mizzery
~x.X.x~

hahahaha i hate those.. like im strict atheist.. and im dating a strict catholic.. but i do sometimes wonder if she thinks less of me for being atheist..
and seriously that kid needs to get the priests outta his a** and he needs to go out and have a life.. like thats really ******** up of him iv never heard that happening before..
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You haven't discussed this with her? O.o

I understand the need for Christian dating sites; some people's beliefs are so strict that just dating around and going by the luck of the draw like most people do.. isn't really for them.

I do think it's sad that the friend's son won't date at all. I really don't think that he will stand a chance of finding a wife that way unless he has an arranged marriage..
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff