Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I came out to my dad! Yes! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:55 pm
Avoir Le Retour...
Well, my mom dragged me to church today (I'm really getting tired of it) so after hearing the bullshit for 2 hours, I was in a bad mood. My dad came and picked me up from my mom's house (He has me Sunday evenings, thankfully) and he noticed I was a bit angry. So, he, of course, asked me what the problem was. So, I just told him: "Dad, I'm sick of being taken to church." He said "Why?" and I said "I'm Atheist." He wasn't at all shocked, and he said he was Atheist as well. He said the reason why he hadn't told me sooner, was that he wanted me to decide my beliefs for myself, and not try to latch onto his beliefs (Which I would not do. I follow what I believe.). He said he knew I would eventually get the picture: Humanity is on its own. He said he was proud of me, and that if I didn't want to tell my mom, I didn't have to. I'm happy!
...Les Adieux

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:01 pm
Congratz man!! I'm glad you're happy, and you have your father on your side.  

Shaka-FireFly

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:19 pm
Don't you just love it when stuff like this happens?

Congratulations on that, Adieux, seriously.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:37 pm
Thanks! It's just a really big step for me. I now feel better about coming further out.  

Aaron Lee Morrison

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:03 pm
Ohhh that sounds ******** SWEET*!!!

Both your coming out and your thoughts of taking it further. x)P

*Not girly pronounced... but more like, SWEET DUDE!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:08 pm
AnonymouZ
Ohhh that sounds ******** SWEET*!!!
Both your coming out and your thoughts of taking it further. x)P

*Not girly pronounced... but more like, SWEET DUDE!
Avoir Le Retour...

Thanks! I don't know about my dad taking it a step further, but I definetly will!
...Les Adieux

Aaron Lee Morrison

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:57 pm
I came out light core a couple of years ago, but my mom tried to change my direction, but it failed. I spent a year with out any adult Atheist role-models. Until my grandpa came out of the closet, thelast person I'd expect to come out an atheist. So congrats on coming out, and finding an adult atheist at the same time.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:16 pm
Wow, well congradulations on having an awsome dad!

I'm sure that will make things a bit easier for you, although it might be interesting to see how your mom reacts when she finds out.

What are you going to do? Are you going to get with your dad and try to get your mom to stop making you go to Church?

Sanguvixen

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:47 pm
xD Heh. A fortunate twist of fate.

I was lucky, myself. Most of the folks in my family were alright with my not being Christian, even though a majority of them are.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:00 pm
Sanguvixen
Wow, well congradulations on having an awsome dad!
I'm sure that will make things a bit easier for you, although it might be interesting to see how your mom reacts when she finds out.
What are you going to do? Are you going to get with your dad and try to get your mom to stop making you go to Church?
Avoir Le Retour...
Well, my dad was like "You have two choices: I have you every Sunday, (all day) so you don't have to go to church, or you go to church to make your mother happy." I'm not sure what I'll do, but once I come out to my mom, I'm not going to church anymore.
...Les Adieux

Aaron Lee Morrison

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:46 pm
Yay! Congratulations. blaugh

Now, you just have to get through the dreaded "I'm not going to church anymore" part.

That was hard for me, and my parents are fairly liberal.

But you have your dad on your side, which is good.

Good luck. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:11 am
Meirelle
Yay! Congratulations. blaugh
Now, you just have to get through the dreaded "I'm not going to church anymore" part.
That was hard for me, and my parents are fairly liberal.
But you have your dad on your side, which is good.
Good luck. heart
Avoir Le Retour...
Thanks! I'm sure it won't be as hard as actually telling my mom I'm Atheist, but it will be tough.
...Les Adieux

Aaron Lee Morrison

Nenacht

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:48 pm
Wow! You are so lucky. I wish my father was like that.

At least you have a family member to relate with now.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:28 pm
When I first saw this, I thought you meant you were gay and wondered why this was in this guild....

Anyways, I was born into a freethinking family (agnostic) and eventually decided I was atheist. My dad (parents divorced-since before I was born) is a Methodist and was puzzled why I was atheist, but did nothing about it.  

CzarLyrus

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:49 pm
Luckily for me, my parents know that I'm not a dumbass sheep (why is it that sheep always sounds like it's plural?). The first time I said I'm not Catholic (YEARS ago), my mom didn't believe me, but the next time (like a year after, I'm not sure, I wasn't keeping count) I said something about my opinions on religion and spirituality, she was cool. The only times I talked to my dad about it, he was cool too. Like I said, they know I think for myself (hell, everyone who would spend enough time with me would realize that quickly enough). Plus, they're not at all religious. I'm not sure about what they believe (in regards to the after-life, spiritual beings, etc), but I know they're not actually Catholic (I can't even remember the last time they said the word).

Now, if only I knew how they would feel on their son being bisexual...

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff