Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Pro-lifers on campus Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 pm
For the past two days, pro-lifers have been out on my campus in force. They have a big display in front of a building where I have three of my classes, and thus have to walk to every day. This display is made of large posters depicting aborted fetuses. Now, not much really offends me, and graphic pictures are no exception. What offends me is that they have the audacity to compare abortion to the Holocaust. I s**t you not. By placing a picture of emaciated death-camp captives next to a picture of an aborted fetus and questioning passers-by about the difference between the two, they hope to draw a parallel between them. Frequent use of the word "genocide" also adorns the display.

I could debate for hours with these people about where life begins, why abortion is justified in some cases, and so on, but what I really want to do is walk up to one of the people handing out flyers and tell them point-blank that what they're doing is irresponsible and insensitive.

What would you do?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:12 pm

Light that s**t on fire.

I don't see what the hell is so bad about abortion.
Like, if you were raped, and got pregnant. Would YOU want the baby? I doubt it. Also, last time I checked, they haven't aborted 6+million women yet. So, comparing it to the holocaust is just, well, stupid.

iButtRape

Arios V

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:21 pm
That's a tough choice there.

Part of me would want to light it all up and roast some marshmallows over it.

Another part would want me to intellectually debate them on just where life begins at using established scientific and medical truths.

Another part would want me to beat the living snot out of them. Of course this option will land me in prison.

Personally, I don't see what all the big hubbub is about. Abortion is mentioned only a few times in the Bible and on some occasions, God actually allows it or does it himself. Also, by banning abortion, we're putting the life and well-being of an unborn child above that of the mother and just basically consider her a vessel for reproduction.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:51 pm
Arios V
Abortion is mentioned only a few times in the Bible and on some occasions, God actually allows it or does it himself.

Passages, please. I may make some flyers of my own...  

ProjectOmicron88

Arios V

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:26 am
ProjectOmicron88
Arios V
Abortion is mentioned only a few times in the Bible and on some occasions, God actually allows it or does it himself.

Passages, please. I may make some flyers of my own...

Very well. Of course, you can take your pick

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/abortion.html  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:23 pm
I've seen that s**t before. How can they honestly compare the pain and suffering of millions to an abortion? Abortions are quick and painless, the holocaust was a tragedy of epic proportions. The stupid, it burns.  

Koravin

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:27 pm
This reminds me of what a group of zealots did over by a place near my campus. There was a concert going on and a bunch of religious zealots started protesting because the music is "Satanic".

Hmmm...I don't like it when organizations use shock tactics because thier progaganda tends to have nothing to do with the real issues. Aborted babies techincally don't look anything like a human being in that stage.

When I see them waving pictures of malformed children that were the result of miscarriages to try to get people to join thier stance against abortion...it's like WTF? Are you that pathetic that you can't even use relevent pictures.

The holocuast thing is disgusting. It didn't work for PETA, in fact it made people hate Peta even more for comparing the plight of chickens to the plight of the Jews in the Halocuast. Now people want to compare the plight of aborted globs of cells to the real suffering of real living people? Now...that's just wrong. It's going to work against them, trust me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:09 pm
I'd kick their a**. People might think of me an a*****e for that, but they're the ones asking for it. They're the ones taking photos out of context, and comparing abortion to the holocaust, so you know what? I'd kick their asses.  

CaprinaePsi

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:26 pm
Well, they weren't on campus today. Not sure if they only had the license to put up displays there for two days, or if they just realized they weren't getting through to anyone.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:39 pm
Arios V

Another part would want me to intellectually debate them on just where life begins at using established scientific and medical truths.

Another part would want me to beat the living snot out of them. Of course this option will land me in prison.

Personally, I don't see what all the big hubbub is about. Abortion is mentioned only a few times in the Bible and on some occasions, God actually allows it or does it himself. Also, by banning abortion, we're putting the life and well-being of an unborn child above that of the mother and just basically consider her a vessel for reproduction.

Ditto Lets have a BBQ. I'll bring the Ribs and lighter fluid.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:53 pm
SkeletonPhoenix
Arios V

Ok, I'll bring the burgers, chips and chicken breasts.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:25 pm
Arios V
SkeletonPhoenix
Arios V

And I'll bring the scotch!  

ProjectOmicron88

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:53 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Arios V
SkeletonPhoenix
Arios V

Could you also bring some hamburger buns and maybe some napkins?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:13 am
Arios V
ProjectOmicron88
Arios V
SkeletonPhoenix
Arios V

No can do. I'm carrying too much scotch. razz  

ProjectOmicron88

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:38 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Arios V
ProjectOmicron88
Arios V
SkeletonPhoenix
Arios V

No can do. I'm carrying too much scotch. razz

If you will have me, I shall bring the napkins and the buns of hamburger.

In addition, may I be allowed to carry with me some vodka? surprised  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces