Wi-Fi help Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Andru Noyola

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:08 pm

Hey, can anyone tell me how Wi-Fi works, how to get it, and set it up? I am getting a Wii for Christmas, and would like to get Wi-Fi with it... just don't exactly know anything about it >.<

Oh, and are there even many games on the Wii, or DS that play Wi-Fi? Someone told me there wasn't... I have a couple games on DS that do Wi-Fi, so I guess I'd get it anyways razz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:57 pm

OK first:

Wii works awsome with Wifi, even with no games, it will use the internet

and now Wifi:

It's a way of transmitting information via radio signals (way stronger than your FM radio's signals)

The only down side is that the stronger the signal the shorter the range usually, This is because the information needs to be intact or it will not be able to be read by your computer/DS/Wii whatever

so what do you need??

A high speed connetion, (any will work)

a router, I personally like Lynksis, they are awsome

if you have a small/moderate house, any of the over the counter ones will work fine,
if you want a hardcore one, go for the more expensive ones, they have greater range and what not

Is that enough? later your parents will probably put an encryption key (WEP KEY) which you are going to have write down (super long and it goes like this: d24k949k32h3hn34i445, but way longer) your going to have to write it down in order for your systems to connect

any questions just ask them here

TurboSL1

Andru Noyola

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:01 pm

oh wow, awsome dude, thanks a bunch xd

ok, about the encryption key.., what is it for? if it is like a parental block thing, I don't have to worry about it. I'm 16, my parents don't care what I play now >.<

I have a NetGear router, and DSL. 2 story house, but I don't think it matters, cause the house isn't that big.

And, what is that friend code that people are sharing in the forums? is it just like the friend key, basically?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:10 pm

Encryption keys are to protect you from people you don't want to use your internet sitting around and using your internet. I reccomend WEP because both systems are capable of using that. You can actually set your phone number to be the WEP key which is a good way to make it easier.

What model number is your netgear router?

panthera felidae

Andru Noyola

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:32 pm

model number? uh... underneath it's name, it says WGR614. Guess thats the model number :3

well, since we have DSL, we don't need to worry about using the phone, and my parents don't care about me being on the internet, so I don't guess they would use an encryption key.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:53 pm

AndoruSaN
model number? uh... underneath it's name, it says WGR614. Guess thats the model number :3

well, since we have DSL, we don't need to worry about using the phone, and my parents don't care about me being on the internet, so I don't guess they would use an encryption key.

Sorry it took me a while to answer

the WEP key is not about YOU getting on the internet: it's about your neighboors and random people walking in front of your house

Not a big deal if you just going to use a Nintendo system

but let's say you are going to be buying a lot on ebay----

all that information is being sent over the air and if someone has the know how they can intersect it and get your bank info

so it's THAT type of security,

I HIGHLY suggest you put a WEP key in.... If you want your neighboor or something to be able to use the internet just give them the key, that's what I did, makes it WAYYYY safer

TurboSL1

Andru Noyola

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:24 pm

TurboSL1
AndoruSaN

Sorry it took me a while to answer

the WEP key is not about YOU getting on the internet: it's about your neighboors and random people walking in front of your house

Not a big deal if you just going to use a Nintendo system

but let's say you are going to be buying a lot on ebay----

all that information is being sent over the air and if someone has the know how they can intersect it and get your bank info

so it's THAT type of security,

I HIGHLY suggest you put a WEP key in.... If you want your neighboor or something to be able to use the internet just give them the key, that's what I did, makes it WAYYYY safer

ahhh ok I get it. Thanks a lot dood :3

yea, I can about guarantee 99% of what I get will be off ebay >..........<

I actually live in the country side, so I only have 2 neighbors. Still, I would probably get that to be safe. Only thing is my parents know nothing about technology, so I would have to do it myself. =/

How do I set up a WEP?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:45 am

Im not going to give you a long and or boring explanation. After you get the wii buy the wifi router. then hook it up to your wii in the usb port and you should have wifi on the wii and (if you have one) your ds.

gotensu

Ireth The Elf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:08 pm

Can someone help me get wi-fi on my DS? I have a netgear router and comcast high speed cable for internet, now what?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:57 pm

Chabbles
Can someone help me get wi-fi on my DS? I have a netgear router and comcast high speed cable for internet, now what?

Its really quite simple. 3nodding All you need to do is go to whatever part of the game that you adjust your wi-fi settings. neutral Then press a or start on connect to wireless router (I think you have to do a search first) then you should have found it. biggrin All you have to do then is connect to it. Hope this helps wink

Rehawk

Ace the Ronin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:47 am

I'm running Vista, and have no clue what to do with Wi-Fi, I got the Usb thingie but it needs XP, What the Hell do I do?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:43 pm

could some one tell me where to go for a access point?

Slime_King

Naomi Uki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:04 am

do i need wi-fi for new mario kart coming out on wii
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:29 pm

COPY AND PASTE GUYS

I already made a Thread on ONLY wifi/modem help

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=11282077

TurboSL1

kinggoku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:22 am

does anyone know where to find the friend codes for the wii games??
Wi-Fi Connection

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff