Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I came out to my mom on Thursday. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:05 am
Avoir Le Retour...
Yes, I finally did it. We were eating in a restaurant, and while we were in some conversation over different religions, she popped the question "Well, what do YOU believe?" At first I was just thinking of lying and saying I was Christian, but then I decided, (it was almost as if my mind MADE me) to tell her "I'm Atheist." Her initial reaction was "Are you kidding me?" It was very horrifying at first, but when we got home, we talked for about 1 1/2 hours over everything I believe, and why SHE believes in god. (nothing convincing) Though it's extremely awkward to even talk to her now, at least I have my dad, who is Atheist, to back me up. My mom thinks that my dad 'pushed' me into being Atheist, and ironically, I didn't even KNOW he was Atheist until I told him I was!
...Les Adieux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:41 pm
Les Adieux
At first I was just thinking of lying and saying I was Christian, but then I decided, (it was almost as if my mind MADE me) to tell her "I'm Atheist."

It's because our minds grow tired of feeling ashamed of something we shouldn't. Props for coming out.  

Angsty Shem

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:34 pm
Avoir Le Retour...
Thanks much!
...Les Adieux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:00 pm
Technically, I've never really announced my atheism to my family, but they pretty much know what my views are on religion.

Actually, everyone in my family is agnostic so it really wouldn't a shock to them if I told them I was an atheist. However, my Dad's friend is a Christian and it seems like she's been trying to convert me for the past few weeks, of course, I don't listen to her since she tries to be my Mom.  

Arios V

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:15 pm
I told my mom at a bookstore when I tried to get a book called "God: A failed hypothesis." All about God from a scientific view, why its wrong.
So she subtly, for awhile, starts hinting religion on me.

In today's society, a lot of people expect you to believe.
Personally, I think religion is somewhat petty. I mean, "Covert/repent, and any crime you commited will be erased, even if it was mass murder"?

Anyway, good going, man.
I hope the rest of your family, llike realitives or even people you know randomly, would accept your desicion.
People are a little twitchy when it comes to religion and differences.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:48 pm
Yeah, good job. I came out to my parents, but never to extended family. I have fundie relatives. It sucks.  

Koravin

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:10 am
KuroFur
I told my mom at a bookstore when I tried to get a book called "God: A failed hypothesis." All about God from a scientific view, why its wrong.

Personally, I think religion is somewhat petty. I mean, "Covert/repent, and any crime you commited will be erased, even if it was mass murder"?

Anyway, good going, man.
I hope the rest of your family, llike realitives or even people you know randomly, would accept your desicion.
Avoir Le Retour...
Yeah, it all seems extremely illogical to me. And, I even explained this to my mom, she didn't have any confident answer. I also brought up free will, in which she had no answer at all. She's still making me go to church, but getting out of church wasn't my main priority. I just wanted her to know, instead of being in the thought that I actually ENJOY church, and that I actually believe in god.
...Les Adieux

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:17 am
Tell your mom that making you go to church doesn't make me believe.  

Freebird4077

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:38 pm
Freebird4077
Tell your mom that making you go to church doesn't make me believe.
Avoir Le Retour...
Trust me, I have... Yet, she says that it's not to make me believe, but because she says so. (Complete Lie) I'm sure she'll continue to give me little hints on religion for years.
...Les Adieux

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:06 pm
My parents are fine with me being atheist.

I haven't told my gran...and I don't intend to. She's really religious, but the sweetest person anyone could ever wish to meet. I wouldn't want to hurt her by telling her.

Just about everyone else that I know knows about my beliefs though.

Well done you for coming out!

[x] Natasha [x]

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:49 am
[x] Natasha [x]
My parents are fine with me being atheist.

I haven't told my gran...and I don't intend to. She's really religious, but the sweetest person anyone could ever wish to meet. I wouldn't want to hurt her by telling her.

Just about everyone else that I know knows about my beliefs though.

Well done you for coming out!
Avoir Le Retour...
Thank you very much.
...Les Adieux

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:48 pm
Les Adieux
KuroFur

Anyway, good going, man.
Avoir Le Retour...
Yeah, it all seems extremely illogical to me. And, I even explained this to my mom, she didn't have any confident answer. I also brought up free will, in which she had no answer at all. She's still making me go to church, but getting out of church wasn't my main priority. I just wanted her to know, instead of being in the thought that I actually ENJOY church, and that I actually believe in god.
...Les Adieux

Actually, whenever I went to church, I found it both confusing and enjoyable.
I'm just the type to analyze what the pastor is saying and begin thinking of arguments against it...
Though, churches are not fundamentally bad... they encourage people to stick together. Good social habits and such.
Now, my mother is continually hinting for me to not take the bible literally and that you need to have faith in these things, but she hasn't yet made me go to church, which I find odd.  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Rick Dawkins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:17 pm
Koravin
Yeah, good job. I came out to my parents, but never to extended family. I have fundie relatives. It sucks.

Me too! One of my cousins knows, but if my grandparents found out I'd be horrified. They think I'm an angel (ironic). rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:09 am
It's like being gay, without the liking guys part xd Glad to see your parents know that you won't tolerate being drowned in ignorance.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Xiporah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:14 pm
Well congratulation anyway. Honestly, it will get easier to talk to her over time. The awkwardness will go away.

My mom knows and doesn't care honestly. She's more upset that I don't recycle. But my dad doesn't know. Actually it's never come up in conversation. He's not very religious himself. The closest I've seen was this shirt he has that says something like I'M CHRISTIAN, I HAVE GUNS AND I LIKE STABBING OSAMA BIN LADEN! GOT A PROBLEM? or some crap like that with a flag on the front of it.

Besides, if I told him, he'd just forget. Like the dozens of times I've told him that I haven't smoked pot before and he's always like, "DUDE, WHAT? WHY NOT? gonk " My dad is more concerned with my animals and my job and how my friends are doing.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff