Welcome to Gaia! ::

[MADG] Hangout

Back to Guilds

Formerly the Mil-a-Day Giveaway, this guild is now a just great place to hangout and meet some new friends. 

Tags: [MADG], Hangout, friends, relax, bunnies 

Reply [MADG]
Veterans Day Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

All We Know Is Failling

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:08 am
Do you know what Veterans Day is? Here's some info. Come here talk about it ask questions, comments anything you want...

November 11, is the anniversary of the Armistice which was signed in the Forest of Compiegne by the Allies and the Germans in 1918, ending World War I, after four years of conflict.
At 5 A.M. on Monday, November 11, 1918 the Germans signed the Armistice, an order was issued for all firing to cease; so the hostilities of the First World War ended. This day began with the laying down of arms, blowing of whistles, impromptu parades, closing of places of business. All over the globe there were many demonstrations; no doubt the world has never before witnessed such rejoicing.
In November of 1919, President Woodrow Wilson issued his Armistice Day proclamation. The last paragraph set the tone for future observances:
To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country's service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nation.

In 1927 Congress issued a resolution requesting President Calvin Coolidge to issue a proclamation calling upon officials to display the Flag of the United States on all government buildings on November 11, and inviting the people to observe the day in schools and churches...But it was not until 1938 that Congress passed a bill that each November 11 "shall be dedicated to the cause of world peace and ...hereafter celebrated and known as Armistice Day."
That same year President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a bill making the day a legal holiday in the District of Columbia. For sixteen years the United States formally observed Armistice Day, with impressive ceremonies at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, where the Chief Executive or his representative placed a wreath. In many other communities, the American Legion was in charge of the observance, which included parades and religious services. At 11 A.M. all traffic stopped, in tribute to the dead, then volleys were fired and taps sounded.
After World War II, there were many new veterans who had little or no association with World War I. The word, "armistice," means simply a truce; therefore as years passed, the significance of the name of this holiday changed. Leaders of Veterans' groups decided to try to correct this and make November 11 the time to honor all who had fought in various American wars, not just in World War I.
In Emporia, Kansas, on November 11, 1953, instead of an Armistice Day program, there was a Veterans' Day observance. Ed Rees, of Emporia, was so impressed that he introduced a bill into the House to change the name to Veterans' Day. After this passed, Mr. Rees wrote to all state governors and asked for their approval and cooperation in observing the changed holiday. The name was changed to Veterans' Day by Act of Congress on May 24, 1954. In October of that year, President Eisenhower called on all citizens to observe the day by remembering the sacrifices of all those who fought so gallantly, and through rededication to the task of promoting an enduring peace. The President referred to the change of name to Veterans' Day in honor of the servicemen of all America's wars.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:28 am
-Prays for soldiers in Iraq and all soldiers everywhere-  

All We Know Is Failling

Lady Pelvic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:05 am
User Image[ [ I respect them.
Dosen't feel llike reading that long thing
] ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:31 am
Lol. I wouldn't either...  

All We Know Is Failling

Kiwi Cow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:16 am
My dads a Veteran biggrin He was in the Marines for 20 years
So when I died/ he dieds we can get put in to the national cematry in D.C
I know cool huh? xD  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:03 am
Veterans Day means an extra day of no school.
Hooray!

x3 thisismysn x3

Skarlis

Melodious Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:39 am
    °•●☆

I'm glad we have Veteran's Day. My Papa was a Marine, and my cousin is also a Marine and is in Iraq at this very moment. I also helped out at a Veteran's Day ceremony about 3 years ago in honor of the living WWII vets.

Gives ya a sense of pride.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:09 am
*bows, prays, remembers the soldiers....* cry  

Baka Choy

Dapper Dabbler

[Minako]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:55 am
User Image

So give me something to
believe...
&&&&

Happy Veteran's Day! ^^

&&&&
Cause I am living just to
breathe...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:17 am
*prays for the people in Iraq (including the soldiers) and for the war to end*

wish i knew history that well DX

Chiropteran_Alex

decoder4456

8,350 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:50 am
yay! veterans day is here! no school on monday!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:04 am
November the 11th is national Independence Day in Poland, where I live.

We celebrate our independence regaining in 1918.  

Danehya

duran times three

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:12 am
I have some distant family members who were in the vietnam war, but that doesn't "really" count :/ ish xp
a lot of people ask me what I'm doing for Veteran's Day, which is usually "Nothing" but once I was like "Well, nothing, it's a Sunday. I'd go to church but I'm not that religious anymore." but everyone I know are like, "verterian's day is this monday hun. that's why we got no school. =]"
I didn't really know what to say without sounding bitchy so I replied "the official Armistice Day is on November 11 (the day WWI ended) but it was changed to Veteran's Day due to WWII. the fact it falls on a Sunday this year means we get Monday off, since we always get a day off for Veteran's. Monday is November 12, which is my birthday, so yeah I'm going up to Venice Beach. my family & I are going to eat at my favorite restaurant, C&O Trattoria (if it's cold, then C&O Cucina)."
I'm not a huge history person (doubt I ever will be one) but I kinda riled up then since I dislike it when people are happy when it's not really supposed to be that kind of a moment, or that's not the only reason why we have that holiday.. like things we get no school for without really digging into it... like we really aren't supposed to congratulate (late/alive) veterans for their hard work, but we honor them like hell. or even, like, my English teacher was going to Hawaii to be part of his dad's last moments (he had brain cancer), but tons of my classmates were telling him to take tons of pictures and were calling him lucky. I was like WTF. or like wildfires, people are so happy they have days off, but really a lot of that nature stuff is dying out there, and it's not like there aalways going to be there for us. (but, there are a lot of people worried as well).
idkkkk I get pissed pretty easily haha. :I  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:12 pm
I'm in England. My time is GMT, so instead of 5am, it's 11am. 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

We call it Rememberance day.
It's a very solumn day.
I know so many war stories, it's ridiculous.

War is a terrible thing. It's so sad.
I went to Ypres in belgium to see a battlefield, go into a german trench and see a memorial. It was beautiful.

;-;

:'D

-[.Moo.]-

Rubbery duck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:25 pm
Dad was in the military and went to Iraq.  
[MADG]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff