Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Golden Compass Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minaberries

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:24 pm
User Image

On the news I heard a movie called " The Golden Compass " thats soon to be release, or it already is,...who nows.
I haven't seen it yet but probably soon. It looks interesting like something off of " Chronicles of Narnia "

They say the movie teaches to bash Christianity? & the novel is written by an atheist.

>>Click<<

Discuss and/ or debate

----------

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:44 pm
It's an over-reaction because of something the author said. I'm mid-way through it, and it's in exactly the same strain as CoN.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:24 pm
I've read the Golden Compass, and I am now on the second part of the trilogy. It doesn't teach God-bashing, but it does have an evil church who tries to stop the progress of science. Good book, very good.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:44 pm
I LOVE THESE BOOKS! I really need to re-read them. crying AND I'M SO EXCITED FOR THE MOVIE! Yayayayayayayayayayayayayayay! heart heart heart  

PickleBoy

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:55 pm
Goddamnit, i never find out about the good books... not until they make it to the movies. And i don't think i can read that one before i finish this one i'm reading so... i'll just watch it on the movies. But, dude, you have to see those previews if you haven't... the ones at the movies tho... cuz unless you have a 19" screen on your comp, it won't do it justice.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:56 pm
I read Golden Compass twice, and the other two once. I loved them. My favorite was The Golden Compass.

This whole Christian reaction is stupid. They keep saying we're stomping on their beliefs because we have an atheist-written story. To them I say, then you are stomping on us whenever you assert there is a god.

Honestly, the whole argument is stupid. It's a good story. People need to grow up about these things.  

Koravin

sora987

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:20 pm
Koravin
I read Golden Compass twice, and the other two once. I loved them. My favorite was The Golden Compass.

This whole Christian reaction is stupid. They keep saying we're stomping on their beliefs because we have an atheist-written story. To them I say, then you are stomping on us whenever you assert there is a god.

Honestly, the whole argument is stupid. It's a good story. People need to grow up about these things.

I agree. It is a dumbass argument. Honestly I just thought it was a good solid series. I didn't even know the books were written by an atheist, but then again I never care much to look into the author. I think I'm going to reread them before I go to the movie so I won't be lost if the movie misses parts of the story. I really hope they don't screw up the story.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:10 am
User Image
I attempted to read The Golden Compass a few years ago. I was in a book store and some Jewish kid recommended it to me. (Hey, it was Hanukkah, and he was wearing one of those hats.) I found the book incredibly boring, so I took it back.

Just recently, I decided to try reading it again. Sure enough, I almost die of boredom yet again. So I took the book back. Again. stare

But the movie looks cool! mrgreen

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:11 am
Meirelle
User Image
I attempted to read The Golden Compass a few years ago. I was in a book store and some Jewish kid recommended it to me. (Hey, it was Hanukkah, and he was wearing one of those hats.) I found the book incredibly boring, so I took it back.

Just recently, I decided to try reading it again. Sure enough, I almost die of boredom yet again. So I took the book back. Again. stare

But the movie looks cool! mrgreen

it sure does. But that thing that you did with the book... it's the same thing i usually do with that those dumb books: "a case for christ" "a case for faith" etc.

The preview makes it look like there's gonna be more violence than what happened with Narnia, which got ME hooked.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:28 pm
*cough*  

Vakruz

Familiar Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

[Perfect Calamity]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:44 pm
I was just going to bring this up when it was already posted.

But yea, one of the girls i eat lunch with was like "Im going to see The Golden Compass after school today" and the girl across from her was like "OMG, DONT GO SEE THAT MOVIE, THEY KILL GOD IN IT!!!" and thats when i snapped.
i was like "Its fantasy. For all we know, the God they are killing in the book likes offerings of human flesh and all this other stuff. And in CoN [i said the name, i didnt abreviate xD] they kill Jesus [Aslan], so whats the big deal?!?!"
for some reason i just cannot stand it when someone tries to make fun of/boycott/bash/etc something made by an atheist, simply because the MAKER is atheist. I know its only about half [or possibly 65%] of christians that do this, but all my friends and I agree that it just gives them a bad reputation.

I should bring up at the table tomorrow that you didnt see any atheists boycotting the Passion of the Christ, so Christians should bash the Golden Compass.

I find it extremely funny how in the bible it says "treat others the way you want to be treated" [i dont feel like using biblical speak], and then Christians do things like this and dont know why atheists dislike them so much.
They tend to pull only the parts that they want out of the bible, and i would continue my rant, but it isnt relevant to this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:32 pm
I just came back from seeing The Golden Compass tonight and let me tell you: It was REALLY GOOD and I saw no blatant hint of any advocation. For all the audience knows, the enemy organization is just a corrupt organization with twisted motives.  

JadeDragonSoul

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:40 pm
I just got back from seeing this movie about fifteen minutes ago. Not only did I see no religious discrimination here, but it was amazing.

No, "amazing" doesn't do it justice. It was badass. I am certain "badass" is the right word. Here's why:

-Most shots of Daniel Craig are of him just looking awesome.
-Every single shot containing Sam Elliott.
-Two armored bears engaged in mortal combat. (The end of that fight, in particular, is ridiculously awesome.)
-The big war scene. (Spoilers - Highlight to read!)Sam Elliott sniping fantasy Russians while airborne witch cavalry helps an armored polar bear to kill even more Russians, while at the same time, a twelve-year-old girl BLOWS UP a brainwashing facility.(End of spoilers.)

Seriously, if you haven't seen this movie yet, I'd do so. It's billed as a kid's movie, but it's got something everyone can enjoy.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:17 pm
The book isn't even a kids book, really. It's on the level of a young adult. I gave my copy of The Golden Compass to my sister to read, and she had come to me three times to ask about words just on the first few pages.  

Tenth Speed Writer

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:02 pm
I'm so excited! WAI! I'm gonna go see the movie tonight. In an hour actually. w00t! I love living about five minutes from the movie theater. Mreow.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff