Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Christmas in school Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:46 pm
I hate how schools handle non-christian kids during Christmas time. Christian kids get to go on field trips every week and do fun projects but when non-christians complain they're just told that they don't have to participate. Well that's ********! While you guys get to go into town and see some play and go to a great restaurant I get to sit in a cold classroom with the lights off doing crossword puzzles with 3 jewish kids I'd never otherwise meet. That sure makes me feel good about myself and my beliefs.

I think that something should be done so non-christians can really be satisfied. For every moment that my class does something for Christmas I should have a moment to rant about how horrible Christmas and religion in general is!

What do you guys think? Should all the Christians in my class feel as bad as I do?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:20 pm
None of the schools I attended did any they do anything like that in the manner you described. Everything we got to do was for everyone regardless of religious beliefs (Usually it was an orchestra concert or softball tournament).

The After School Christian Groups/Programs did take trips and such but these things were always on weekends or over the breaks, never during the school day.  

Arios V

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:26 am
I would go anyway, Christmas isn't really even a Christian holiday anymore. Anyway, I would sit through a monotonous Christian speaker for brownies and cookie.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:01 am
User Image
Dude, I never went on any religious-based field trip in school, nor have I ever heard of it happening before.

But ********, if it's just a general Christmas outing, I say ******** go. For as much as I b***h about Christmas, I actually do love the holiday. It's fun, and it's so commercialized in America that it's not even really religious anymore. And yes, I do celebrate it. ******** yeah! Why the hell wouldn't I?

On the other hand, if it IS a religious-based field trip, and not a generic commercialized holiday jaunt, I do believe contacting the ACLU is the thing to do. 3nodding

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Tchaik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:38 am
Our school gets a little crazy. We have a "holiday assembly", as they call it, but they make us sing Christmas carols and all sorts of weird things like that.

But yeah, I'd probably go anyway, even though I generally hate Christmas. It's the gaudy decorations and the annoying music. And of course the fact that 99.99999999% of idiot Christians are convinced the holiday was their original idea, and they totally did NOT steal half the traditions and dates from the other religion that they were oppressing.

..I have strong feelings about that. confused  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:10 pm
I've never heard of a school doing that, nor have I ever had a school do that to me. If they did, I think it would be high time to complain...  

BadLuckNovelist

[Perfect Calamity]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:09 pm
We havnt had anything like that at our school.. no christmas field trips.
actually, my last field trip was in fourth grade..

Everytime any of my teachers say anything like "christmas tree" or "christmas time" im always the first [and only] one in the room to yell "HOLIDAY tree" or "HOLIDAY season"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:24 pm
[Perfect Calamity]

Everytime any of my teachers say anything like "christmas tree" or "christmas time" im always the first [and only] one in the room to yell "HOLIDAY tree" or "HOLIDAY season"
User Image

See, I think that's a little ridiculous. It's not a "holiday tree." It's a ******** Christmas tree. I don't care what the hell religion you are. It's a Christmas tree!

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:16 am
Yeah, not worth calling it a Holiday tree, becaue Christmas has lost a large portion of its religious links, it's just about the presents now. More or less.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:15 pm
Is this in the US?!

I go to a Church school here in England, and the uniform has a Christian gravestone design on the badge, and we have to all say prayers to God from time to time, but there's nothing like what you described.

Sometimes the Christian kids opt out of Science lessons and stuff, but that's about as far as it goes in terms of religious discrimination.

Dark Pieman

[Perfect Calamity]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:03 pm
Meirelle
[Perfect Calamity]

User Image

See, I think that's a little ridiculous. It's not a "holiday tree." It's a ******** Christmas tree. I don't care what the hell religion you are. It's a Christmas tree!

but if its not such a big deal why did K-Mart [or walmart.. i forget which..] get sued for saying "merry christmas" instead of "happy holidays"?
appanrelty its a big enough deal for some, but not for others.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:16 pm
None of you guys have had my problem? Really? Wow. Okay. Anyway I think that I'm just so offended because I have become very angry at Christianity and the holiday season.
I think that if something has killed millions and brainwashed a powerful country it shouldn't be shoved down my throat or sugar-coated so it sounds like a good thing that helps people. That's like someone saying Hitler was a good person because he was against smoking.
And when Christmas doesn't focus on religion it focuses on greed and corrupting people at an early age.
I guess after all these years I've become so angry at religion instead of just feeling good that I'm above such an evil. I think that can work though because hate has gotten religion everything it needs to survive so it may do the same for me.  

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

Throwaway243

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:57 pm
[Perfect Calamity]
Meirelle
[Perfect Calamity]

User Image

but if its not such a big deal why did K-Mart [or walmart.. i forget which..] get sued for saying "merry christmas" instead of "happy holidays"?
appanrelty its a big enough deal for some, but not for others.
They got criticism for saying merry Christmas, and I agree that you should say happy holidays, but I don't think anyone has ever been offended by the term Christmas tree... I have about 3 atheist friends, a few Jewish friends and a Muslim friend, and not once have any of them said that Christmas tree is offensively, but they have said that happy holidays is more appropriate.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:00 pm
Dark Pieman
Is this in the US?!

I go to a Church school here in England, and the uniform has a Christian gravestone design on the badge, and we have to all say prayers to God from time to time, but there's nothing like what you described.

Sometimes the Christian kids opt out of Science lessons and stuff, but that's about as far as it goes in terms of religious discrimination.

Yes this is the US it full of idiots. This has nothing to do with religion, just a thing i've noticed in a good portion of Americans. Major example Bush!!!

Also since your from England how is the National health care system going? I'm totally serious.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Throwaway243

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:00 pm
Fenky
None of you guys have had my problem? Really? Wow. Okay.
Well, did you CHOOSE not to go or did they say you COULDN'T go? I think most of us havent had your problem because most of us choose to go anyways, even if its not our religion... But if THEY say that you CANT go then I think that thats illegal...  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff