Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Fat is beautiful? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:28 pm
I'm overweight. No. I'm ******** fat. Does that make me less human? Does that make me ugly? Does that mean that I'm not allowed the common courtesy when I go into a store that a thinner woman does? Because I'm bustier than the girl behind me, does that mean I don't get the same treatment then if I were ten size smaller? Does this mean that I'm to be an old spinster unless I settle for less than I'm worth? Because I'm fat, does that mean I shouldn't get the job, whereas someone who is thinner should? Whether I'm qualified or not.

Yes, I have asked myself these questions. In this form or another. I have no self esteem because it makes my friends look better when I don't. I've been ignored in stores before so the guy at Starbucks could flirt with the cute girl behind me. I've been overlooked at clothing stores because why on earth would a fat a** need help looking for clothes? They don't have my size, so surely I don't need help.

Okay, maybe thats a bit of a stretch, the whole not having my size thing. But I have been passed over at clothing stores in lieu of the pretty, slim blonde behind me. HELLO! I do wear clothes! I can't wear the cute clothes she does, and yeah, I hide behind big sweaters and baggy pants... But is that because I'm ugly? Or is that because even talking to me may rub my horrid disease on you?

Do you walk down the street and see overweight people and snigger behind their backs? Answer truthfully, I'd like to know. I know I do. Every time I see a mirror. Is it wrong to be overweight? I'm not talking about morbidly obese, I'm talking about overweight, not a size two, not Nichole Richie or Angelina Jolie.

http://www.citizenofthemonth.com/2005/05/22/too-skinny/ Who would you say looks better?

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:08 am
I am guilty of having negative thoughts about people who are overweight. More so when I see someone overweight eating fast food or something unhealthy. It's not necessarily always a fair judgment. I don't think I treat overweight people any different to anyone else though. I don't see them as being ugly, lazy or any less deserving.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being overweight as long as it is not impacting on your health. Personally I love larger ladies, the plus model in that article I would adore. I like my lady to be curvy and volumptious not stick thin with no boobs and no butt. Many of the sexiest and best dressed women I have met have been large. A lot of it is about self confidence and what you wear. Everyone looks bad in unflattering clothes.

The media presents a very narrow view of what they consider to be beauty, and a lot people buy into this exclusively. I know it sounds cheesy but you can be gorgeous, not just regardless of your size, but because of your size.

It is a shame you are so unhappy with yourself. : (  

Torpid Pickle

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:43 am
I think the world will always have a negative view on those who are overweight. That's the way it is. If it is worth complaining about, than it is worth doing something about.

Of course, one has to realize that no matter what the media says, those starlets in hollywood are not healthy. Beautiful? They look gross. They starve themselves to get that thin. Beautiful is healthy, and that is where so many people go wrong.

In order for me to acheive a stick thin image that some people blindly see as beauty, I'd have to stop eating, and loose all my body fat. With my small petite frame, that'll drop me below 80 pounds. That's not healthy...that's not healthy at all.

Pickleboy, if people are ignoring you, is it because you are really fat? Or are you looking to hollywood and the media, and wishing you could be like them? If that is the case, stop watching those things, or thinking about them. You'll feel better, and then maybe see yourself as who you really are.

Maybe all you need to do is change your wardrobe a bit. A year ago, I was ignored completely by everyone in the public. I wasn't overweight, or underweight either. It was because I dressed so plainly that I didn't really stand out. So I changed what I wear to include more color. I've added red and blue to my wardrobe. I've also started wearing Tripp pants because I find them confortable.

Granted I still get ignored but not so much as before. People will stop and talk to me, if only to comment on my clothes. A comment is better then no comment at all.

If you really are truelly overweight, well, that isn't permenant. That can change if you are willing to change some of the habits that contribute to a weight problem. You don't have to change your entire life in order to lose weight. It's as simple as learning to control your portions, and maybe going from 3 meals a day to just two. You can, over time, cut out things that are a main cause of your weight.

For example I used to drink nothing but Soda, and that put on so many pounds. So gradually I cut it out of my diet and replaced it with water, and juice. You'd be surprised how many pounds I lost cutting that out of my diet.

If you want to be noticed, than you have to step up and do something. Whining about it online won't change anything because the world will not change it's view on the obese. Obesity is a problem because it is killing our generation earlier and earlier. I lost an aunt to Obesity, she was in her 40's. That shouldn't happen. Obese is not beautiful the same way being severly underweight is not beautiful, because it's not healthy, and it's deadly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:12 am
On a different note, having body fat is not a bad thing.

You eat so that your body can stay warm and function. If you have no body fat, all the heat that your body generates is lost immediately.

My best friend has a metabolism problem. It is so high that her body burns up everything quickly. No matter how much she eats, her body won't store fat. The absence of body fat means that her body temp is lower than it should be.

She sometimes gets cold easy. However, she does eat, and she does pay close attention to what she eats, so that even if her body won't store fat, she gets the necessary nuterients.

I think people who have a little bit of weight on them are beautiful because the are healthy. People who have too much weight or too list, make me raise my eyebrows. Then again, how can I judge a very thin person when my best friend has a medical problem that causes her to be that way?

How can I judge others who are too heavy just because I had the will to overcome what was piling pounds onto me? Not everyone has the same will power, so I have to remember that.

If anything I don't look at people who have problems with their weight as something to be laughed at or critisized. I pity them, and at the same time hope for the best for them, and I hope that there comes a time when they can help themselves look better and therefore feel better.

Sanguvixen

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:04 am
I really don't know why or how our society has become so focused on weight numbers and waist size.

There was a point in time where it was considered attractive to be a healthy weight, since it meant you were in good health and well-fed. Even Marilyn Monroe, one of recent history's biggest symbols for physical beauty, was *far* from a beanpole pant size.

I don't really see it myself...
It's not what you weigh, it's how you carry it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:53 pm
I'm way overweight myself <_<

But it is my fault, I eat too much and don't do enough exercise.

I've lost it before without any of that dieting crap or making myself exercise, and I could do it again if I could be bothered... but I can't muster up the will to do it. At least not for more than a few hours at a time.

So I'll have to live with it.  

Redem

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:11 pm
Sangu, you make it sound like I'm fat cause I eat all the time. I don't. I eat two meals a day and drink solely water. Nothing I do will ever take me below a size nine pants (gods I wish I were a size nine) because of my hips. I also have a lot of muscle mass. I really wasn't trying to make it sound like I was complaining, I was just wondering who here thought that way, who here pointed at the bigger kid and laughed.

I do need to start getting on a treadmill though.

I have very little black in my wardrobe. And its too cold right now to wear anything but big sweaters. But after a long winter, I totally hate going out into public. I'm white and have gained weight and... Yeah...

But I'm glad to know only one person who has answered so far hates fat people. Thats right. I'm looking at you Torpid. trying to steal my name... I'll get you.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:30 pm
Well, I've actually got a preference for pudgy girls to begin with. I'm pretty skinny myself, but that's mainly because my diet sucks. My cardiac health is probably in the toilet, but I just don't gain weight easily. But for some reason, I find girls with a bit of paunch more attractive than the fit, athletic ones. Go figure.

But I agree whole-heartedly that self-image is overrated. A lot of people don't realize that your own expectations really don't match those of others.  

ProjectOmicron88

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:21 am
PickleBoy
Sangu, you make it sound like I'm fat cause I eat all the time. I don't. I eat two meals a day and drink solely water. Nothing I do will ever take me below a size nine pants (gods I wish I were a size nine) because of my hips. I also have a lot of muscle mass. I really wasn't trying to make it sound like I was complaining, I was just wondering who here thought that way, who here pointed at the bigger kid and laughed.

I do need to start getting on a treadmill though.

I have very little black in my wardrobe. And its too cold right now to wear anything but big sweaters. But after a long winter, I totally hate going out into public. I'm white and have gained weight and... Yeah...

But I'm glad to know only one person who has answered so far hates fat people. Thats right. I'm looking at you Torpid. trying to steal my name... I'll get you.

I used to eat only one real meal a day. I was overweight. It's because my body was being starved, and I didn't realize it. Everything I took in was converted to fat.

I'm just saying, that one of the things I know can help when it comes to weight is not so much to each less, but how much you eat, and what exactly you take in. I don't know you in real life, so I can only throw out suggestions from experience. My whole family on my mom's side has issues with weight...and I'm determined to not have the same problem by "Doing nothing" as some of my family members do.

I started eating 2 meals a day, and made it a point to make each meal 2 courses at least. I still eat like that. It's funny how by eating more, you can actually lose weight. I never knew that though.

If you have a lot of muscle mass, that doesn't make you fat. That is the thing about society though. There is a big difference between someone who is 180 pounds, and has a lot of muscle, and someone who is 180 pounds and has nothing but fat hanging from thier body. If the person is like 5 foot tall, only one of those is really overweight. Muscle weighs as much if not more than fat. Which is what I don't get. The Body Mass Index doesn't take the difference between muscle and fat into consideration, and thus it'll label fit people obese.

Of course, you might not be as fat as you think you are. Sometimes it's all about realizing what you can and cannot expect from your body.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:35 am
Well, unfortunately fat is often looked upon as lazy, over eating, and lack of exercise. That's not always the case, but it is essencially a stereotype.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:57 pm
User Image
I am totally fat. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:39 pm
As far as I'm concerned, until you get to know someone, appearance is all you've got to judge them by. In many cases, the overweight just don't stand a chance. It comes down to losing weight or a fashion overhaul. I chose the path down the middle: I became simultaneously conscious of my health, my appearance, and my attitude, as opposed to my SIZE and LOOKS. I'm now slowly beginning to notice advances from those of the female persuasion. From what I hear, it's too much of a bother to attract interested men via appearance. And what a shame that is.

So to answer the question, no, I don't mind the overweight, and have a general preference to those with meat on their bones. But if I want to gain the attention of someone who may have something against the overweight and doesn't know me already, it comes down to appearance.  

PrezarioKaiser

Glamarama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:43 pm
PickleBoy

http://www.citizenofthemonth.com/2005/05/22/too-skinny/ Who would you say looks better?

Honestly... the plus size model looks way better.

I am not sizist in the slightest. I am under-weight and have been made fun of for being skinny or "anorexic" (even though I am not) all my life.

I have dated guys of all shapes and sizes. I dont look at a person and see a "size", I see a beautiful person, no matter if they are a size 2 or size 20 (or larger).

I have been perfectly honest, but I guess maybe I am unusually unshallow.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:25 pm
Prezario... you made no sense to me. eek You're like... saying one thing and then another but then backtracking and saying something else.

And its good to know some people aren't shallow Glamarama. I, personally, am totally shallow, I won't lie. Which is probably what prompted this whole thing. But... eventually I'll grow up. When I'm like, fifty and still a virgin. XD  

PickleBoy

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:11 am
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
Well, unfortunately fat is often looked upon as lazy, over eating, and lack of exercise. That's not always the case, but it is essencially a stereotype.

I aggree.
I know several large people, and they exercise daily. They eat right. They are the healthiest people I have ever seen.
But their physiology is just that they keep weight. Nothing wrong with it.
Now. Have a look at me.
No, don't. It'll scare your children.
I'm a bloody bean pole. I don't exercise at all, except for walking to work. I eat nasty foods. I eat once a day... from when I wake up, to whenever I fall asleep. All damn day. It's sick.
It's physiology.
There's nothing wrong with it.
In fact, it's better than being small enough that a loud shout would sunder you in twain.
That's right. I said 'sunder in twain'. Sue me.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff