A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Other Genres
A Series of Unfortunate Events Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you read Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events?
  Of course!
  Are they good? I don't know...
  Nah, they look stupid.
View Results

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:16 pm
Okay I'm starting a new thread, mostly because I'm bored. Hopefully we will get more members after my banner gets made and I can actually advertise the guild, and then people will actually be commenting. Yea! Oh well, kind of off topic. Anyways, over winter break I've been rereading A Series of Unfortunate Events. Unlike Twilight, these are actually manageably sized. I don't really think the story gets going until about the fifth or sixth book, maybe even the seventh, but for some reason my favorite is the fourth. For those who haven't read them, there are thirteen books in the series, plus numbers of companion books, puzzles, calendars, and many other sorts of merchandise. There was a movie made a while ago, but it was horrible. It smushed the first three books into one and moved the end of the first book to after the third book. Oh well. They really good, fast reads, with a nice humorous twist. They're pretty light reading and are really meant for elementary/middle schoolers, but if you haven't read them or if you started the series but didn't finish it, then you really should read them. Lemony Snicket has a very different style of writing from most authors because the narrator is actually a minor character who very rarely shows up in the story line, but is actually researching the events after they happened. Ignore his warnings though. They aren't even worth looking at. His books aren't dreadful at all.... Otherwise this post wouldn't be here. razz  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:52 pm
Cool. The movie was interesting enough I guess. I haven't read the books but hey, you never know.  

5 to midnight
Crew

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:59 pm
The movie was horrible (shudder). Like Eragon... xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:21 pm
My Friend, pretty much anything is better than Eragon.  

5 to midnight
Crew

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:16 pm
That's not true! Let me think.... Hmmmmmm.... Worse than Eragon, worse than Eragon...... Okay, I give up. But the answer is out there! There is something worse than Eragon! (We're talking about the movie, not the book, for those who don't know.)  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:11 pm
So what about the other books in this series? Are they any good?  

5 to midnight
Crew

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:50 pm
***SPOILER WARNING***
(Do not read unless you want to be spoiled)

Yeah, I'm on The Slippery Slope, which is pretty good (it's book 10). I'm planning on finishing it tonight. I don't know. I tend to like the more violent ones for some reason. In my favorite one, The Miserable Mill, the middle sibling, Klaus gets hypnotized by the evil associates of Count Olaf (the villain of the series) while working in a lumber mill. In The Hostile Hospital, which is another of my favorites, Violet, the oldest sibling, gets captured by Count Olaf and is sent to surgery where her head is almost cut off. I also like The End (obviously the last book), but I'm kind of disappointed because so many mysteries are started in the series that never were solved. The End is really hard to explain unless you've read a lot of the other books. Oh, and my descriptions may be a real turn-off, but they're not gruesome or any thing like that. They might even be labeled as "cute," although that is a little unlikely.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:17 pm
Interesting description. 3nodding  

5 to midnight
Crew

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:21 pm
***SPOILER WARNING***
(Do not read unless you want to be spoiled)

Thanks. I'm on The Grim Grotto now, which is okay, but not my favorite. There's kind of a soap opera feel about it because there's this girl and she befriends the Baudelaire orphans (especially the middle one Klaus). But then they get captured by Count Olaf and they realize that one of Count Olaf's associates is the long lost brother of this girl, so she ends up betraying the Baudelaires after her stepfather abandoned her. So yeah, I've obviously made my point.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:37 am
Yeah.  

5 to midnight
Crew

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:39 am
I actually finished that one last night. I'm on the Penultimate Peril now. This is where it gets hard to describe the books without really giving major plot details away.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:59 am
Ah! You read books so fast! eek  

5 to midnight
Crew

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:09 pm
Yeah, now I'm on The End. I forgot how little time the series actually takes place over. The last four books are pretty much over the course of one week. Well, actually it's more like one and a half, but whatever.... rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:36 am
I've read them all already.  

xAngelxKissedx

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:40 am
I actually read them a while ago, I just felt like refreshing my memory. 4laugh  
Other Genres

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff