Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Does anyone know some specifics on the Big Bang Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ninyaruto

Dapper Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:48 pm
I came across this in wikiAnswers: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_the_Big_Bang_occur

Anyone can submit an answer...I don't have a confidant one myself, but something needs to be given in place of the current answer.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:57 pm
I believe it's when the primordial atom exploded creating the universe. Also on another note the spelt heaven wrong.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Redem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:08 pm
I'll take a stab at correcting that particular answer, but I'm no astronomer.

My Edit

Answer

Approximately 13.7 billion years ago ± 0.2 billion years.

That is the answer as currently agreed upon by the worlds scientists, though may be subject to revision as more evidence is uncovered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang#Overview

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:23 pm
Redem
I'll take a stab at correcting that particular answer, but I'm no astronomer.

My Edit

Answer

Approximately 13.7 billion years ago ± 0.2 billion years.

That is the answer as currently agreed upon by the worlds scientists, though may be subject to revision as more evidence is uncovered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang#Overview

Awesome, a little bit of anti-scientific anti-atheistic mush has been taken off the internet!  

Ninyaruto

Dapper Hunter

Redem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:26 pm
From the looks of it that nut will simply edit it back

=/  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 pm
Ah, but only if he notices!  

Ninyaruto

Dapper Hunter

Redem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:33 pm
Ninyaruto
Ah, but only if he notices!

Wiki answers has a watch function wink  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:38 pm
True. I'm hoping he's an inactive member.  

Ninyaruto

Dapper Hunter

Redem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:01 pm
I have little confidence in that.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:12 pm
I don't pay much attention to Wiki. too much editing goes on in a daily basis, not all of it accurate.

Ever since I heard the Big Bang theory, I didn't like it. I've listened to the argument, and not once have I been convinced. I guess it is because I look at life, and the universe as one big expanse.

While life in any particular area might not have always existed, I think the universe has always been there. That not all things need a beginning, and not all things will have an end.

We spend so much time trying to find a beginning of the universe, but what if there was never a beginning? Is it that strange a thought?

Sanguvixen

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:50 pm
I agree with Sangu. I don't think there ever really was a "beginning" either, but I still believe in the big bang theory. Here's why in a brief note.

- Engergy cannot be created nor destroyed, therefore all that is has always and will always exist.

- At the center of every galaxy is a blackhole.

- Blackholes never stop being a blackhole, and will only get bigger. This can take billions of years.

- Then theoretically all blackholes will eventually swallow all things until there is only one blackhole.

- Theoretically again, this super massive blackhole may reach a critical point and explode (Big Bang).

Even though most of this is theory, I feel it very probable. It explains why we have evidance that suggests all things are eternal, and why we have evidance that all things exploded from a single point. You get your cake and eat it too.
biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:04 am
Who: The Universe.
What: See above.
When: A really long farking time ago.
Where: Everywhere.
Why: Because the atom was lonely, so it went mad and exploded. Hece, giving us the Multiverse.
How: Really small stuff got really smaller, then got hugely bigger.
3nodding

PS
To those paying attention, this is not meant as an actual scientific analysis of the creation of the universe.
It's funny.
And I'm bored and tired.  

Superior Jazz

Ninyaruto

Dapper Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:05 pm
Heh, I've always speculated that the Big Bang originated from a super-large black hole, too.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:15 pm
Kharybuce

- Then theoretically all blackholes will eventually swallow all things until there is only one blackhole.

- Theoretically again, this super massive blackhole may reach a critical point and explode (Big Bang).

Assuming gravitation is significant enough, perhaps. But it doesn't seem to be, as something else is accelerating the rate of the expansion of the universe.

Extrapolating that everything will eventually be ripped apart and spread out into nothingness. Atoms and even blackholes.

Quote:
We spend so much time trying to find a beginning of the universe, but what if there was never a beginning? Is it that strange a thought?

The big bang isn't really anything to do with "the beginning" as such, though it is commonly described as this by scientists. It just describes how a hot dense universe expanded over time and cooled into what we see today.
And the evidence is fairly decent. The universe is expanding now, and extrapolating backwards gives you basic idea of a big bang. Looking deeper we can check what other tell tale signs there should be as a result of what we know of how the universe works.
And here we find supporting evidence.
Quote:

3) There’s no evidence for the Big Bang

Sadly, yes, I have actually seen this one fairly often. I have no idea where people get the idea that scientists make things up without having good evidence behind it (oh wait… we’re out to disprove God because all scientists hate God or some crap like that).

The Big Bang theory does have a good amount of evidence behind it. So we’ll take a look at the three biggies.

a) Cosmological Redshift: As I explained in my earlier post, we can use spectroscopy to determine the rate at which galaxies are moving away from us. Additionally, since it takes light time to travel, the further away we look, the further back in time we are looking.

What we find, is that all galaxies in the universe are moving away from us. The further they are, the faster they’re moving away. So if we play the whole thing in reverse, all the galaxies will come back together at a single point in time. This point in time is what we call the Big Bang.

b) The Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB): Figuring that if you played everything back in time like this that all that energy would be crammed into a smaller space, that means the temperature would go up. And also since galaxies couldn’t have formed yet, we’d expect a gaseous sort of universe early on. As I discussed earlier, hot dense gasses emit photons at a peak wavelength corresponding to their temperature. Unfortunately, since things were so dense, photons couldn’t get very far.

However, with the available information, astronomers were able to determine at what density and time, photons would finally be able to get far enough that we could observe them. This is called the “surface of last scattering” and has a very specific temperature. So we should be able to look for photons with energy (wavelength) corresponding to that temperature.

But due to redshift, they will appear at a different wavelength. This radiation should appear from every direction. This was a prediction made by the Big Bang theory that was later confirmed by Penzias and Wilson who stumbled on it accidentally!

No other theory of the universe has ever been able to make such a profound prediction to the degree of accuracy the Big Bang did in this instance. Making such amazing predictions is one of the highlights of a good theory. None before or since have ever been able to pull off such a feat.

But the successes of the CMB prediction don’t stop there. Another important piece of the puzzle lies in that the CMB couldn’t be completely even. If it were, then galaxies couldn’t form since there would be no “seeds” with higher mass and thus a stronger gravitational pull to form around.

Thus, the Big Bang theory had to predict that the CMB would not be completely homogeneous. It should have some variations to it, and those variations would have to be of a specific size in order to get the universe we see today.

Early results for the Big Bang didn’t look too good for this prediction and threatened to sink the whole ship. However, the devices used were not actually sensitive enough to pick up these minute variations. But recently, with the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP), these perturbations have been discovered precisely as predicted.

Score two strong predictions for the Big Bang. Zero for any others.

c) Distribution of Elements: With the conceptual framework intact thanks to the first point, it was also possible to calculate how much of each element should be formed in the initial event. It should be obvious that, given a bunch of protons, electrons, and neutrons, hydrogen should be the easiest to form. Indeed, stick a proton and an electron in a room together and they’ll automatically hook up due to their magnetic attractions.

Additionally, with such high energies, it would be possible to fuse some of this hydrogen into helium and even a little bit of heavier elements. Since astronomers had a good handle on the energies, it was possible to calculate how much of each there should be. If that number didn’t match up with observations, the Big Bang theory would be shot.

Fortunately, the predictions do match up pretty closely. I stated a value earlier of 80% hydrogen, 20% helium, and neglected the rest since it would be statistically insignificant. In the universe today, we observe 75% hydrogen, 24% helium, and 1% everything else. This discrepancy is easily accounted for by nearly 14 billion years of stars cooking hydrogen into helium and other heavier elements.

So there’s three major pieces of evidence for the Big Bang, any one of which, if it had turned out any other way, would completely discredit the theory. Fortunately for the Big Bang, it has passed all of those tests, and not a single other theory has yet been able to adequately explain such things, or many anywhere near as profound of predictions (or any successful predictions for that matter). This is why the Big Bang stands alone as the premiere theory in cosmology today.

Bit of a wall there, sorry.

Anyway, the big bang marks the spot in time which is the furthest back we can look at the moment. That is all. We have no evidence of what it was like before that.  

Redem

Lemur9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:30 pm
Sanguvixen
I don't pay much attention to Wiki. too much editing goes on in a daily basis, not all of it accurate.

Ever since I heard the Big Bang theory, I didn't like it. I've listened to the argument, and not once have I been convinced. I guess it is because I look at life, and the universe as one big expanse.

While life in any particular area might not have always existed, I think the universe has always been there. That not all things need a beginning, and not all things will have an end.

It's not a strange thought if we abandon our current notions of time. There are some things about the universe that we just can't imagine, no matter how hard we try, because there is nothing that we can compare to it. Like how the universe is a finite space, but you can never reach the edge (this is because there are 4 dimensions at work instead of 3). (Oh, and I know that they're actually 10 or 11 dimensions, but I'm pretty sure that the other 6 or 7 are "curled up" into subatomic sizes, so mothing except subatomic particles interacts with them.) Or how the universe will eventually "die" (the theoretical concept of the big crunch) and another big bang will occur, creating a new universe. So basically the universe keeps "dying" and getting "recreated", with no beginning and no end to the process. So although there was probably a beginning to our universe, there were probably an infinite number of universes before it that began and ended, and there will be an infinite number more after it.
Oh, and please correct me if what I said above is wrong in any way. I'm not an expert, and I don't want to say anything that's false unintentionally.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff