Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Lord Will Provide Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:24 pm
My husband and I were out eating dinner tonight at T.G.I. Fridays. My husband was talking about a conversation he had with a co-worker about religion, and how it's just a means of control, and that people really should be able to be good people without religion, or the fear of what god will do to them. Now, I don't know if this is the reason this happened, because I don't think my husband was talking loud enough that someone 3 tables away could hear him, especially over top of the football game blaring on every television set in the place.

Anyway.

We finished our meals, and when the waiter came with our bill he told us that our bill had been taken care of by "that couple over there", and pointed to them. I was at first wondering if I knew them, but upon seeing the signature on the receipt I discovered I did not. What confused me was at the top of the receipt the woman had written,

"God loves you and he will provide!"

I'm not sure what to think of this. Did she overhear my husband talking about his work conversation? Or does she just do this type of thing? I realize you all don't know her motives, but it's just really weird. Usually I'm the one who does this kind of stuff for others. Not the other way around. I don't think I was looking poor tonight. I mean, if the Christian junkies want to pay for my dinner, I suppose as a way to help buy themselves a place in heaven, then that's fine. I just feel a little weird by it. My husband thanked her for our meal.

Have any of you ever had something like this happen to you?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:38 pm
Crystal E-B
My husband and I were out eating dinner tonight at T.G.I. Fridays. My husband was talking about a conversation he had with a co-worker about religion, and how it's just a means of control, and that people really should be able to be good people without religion, or the fear of what god will do to them. Now, I don't know if this is the reason this happened, because I don't think my husband was talking loud enough that someone 3 tables away could hear him, especially over top of the football game blaring on every television set in the place.

Anyway.

We finished our meals, and when the waiter came with our bill he told us that our bill had been taken care of by "that couple over there", and pointed to them. I was at first wondering if I knew them, but upon seeing the signature on the receipt I discovered I did not. What confused me was at the top of the receipt the woman had written,

"God loves you and he will provide!"

I'm not sure what to think of this. Did she overhear my husband talking about his work conversation? Or does she just do this type of thing? I realize you all don't know her motives, but it's just really weird. Usually I'm the one who does this kind of stuff for others. Not the other way around. I don't think I was looking poor tonight. I mean, if the Christian junkies want to pay for my dinner, I suppose as a way to help buy themselves a place in heaven, then that's fine. I just feel a little weird by it. My husband thanked her for our meal.

Have any of you ever had something like this happen to you?

That's pretty messed up, I think.
(Also note this is coming from a 15 year old atheist in a Christian family)
That's never happened to me or my family, and my parents are very loose Christians, and we don't pray or thank God or anything super Christian. If this happened, they would dismiss it as not their problem. If you are eating out at T.G.I. Fridays, chances are you aren't poor enough to be payed for by a complete stranger, but if it gets some free decent food your husband should do it again! Just kidding. Just treat it as some people who don't entirely understand Atheism, or perhaps they were eavsdropping and caought only bits and pieces of what your husband was saying.

Doctor Salt

Arios V

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:51 pm
That is kinda weird and would probably make me feel a little uncomfortable.

As far as I can remember, I haven't had anything like this happen to me at all.

However, there was one time my Dad and I were having dinner at a local restaurant called Milano's and we started talking about the fallacy/reality of Noah's Ark. The guy 4 tables down must have heard us (Over the blaring jukebox and everyone else talking) and came storming over to our table and started ranting and raving about how we're talking nonsense and that he can prove the story was real. Anyway, My Dad turns to him and gives him a perfect comeback (Don't exactly remember what it was) but that pissed the guy off. All he did was say say "Go to Hell, ********." and storm off.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:00 pm
Arios V

However, there was one time my Dad and I were having dinner at a local restaurant called Milano's and we started talking about the fallacy/reality of Noah's Ark. The guy 4 tables down must have heard us (Over the blaring jukebox and everyone else talking) and came storming over to our table and started ranting and raving about how we're talking nonsense and that he can prove the story was real. Anyway, My Dad turns to him and gives him a perfect comeback (Don't exactly remember what it was) but that pissed the guy off. All he did was say say "Go to Hell, ********." and storm off.

AH, one of my favorite worst comebacks~

Doctor Salt

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:50 am
It just kills me how same people can't let others have their own opinions about religion. It's not like anyone has the hard-core proof that'll put an end to the countless theories about the world.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Free payment from the blind. Who am I to judge?  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:38 pm
wow wouldn't expect a cristian to pay, I would have expected them to scold you for not believing.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:55 pm
Free lunch =D

That's the most important part smile  

Redem

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:57 pm
Redem
Free lunch =D

Yeah, I wish I would have ordered a drink.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:02 pm
Crystal E-B
Redem
Free lunch =D

Yeah, I wish I would have ordered a drink.

Mmm champagne =D  

Redem

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:58 pm
It was an amazingly kind gesture, in my opinion. Misguided, but very generous, and well-intentioned.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:15 pm
Doctor Salt
Arios V

AH, one of my favorite worst comebacks~

Indeed.  

Arios V

Doctor Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:42 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
It was an amazingly kind gesture, in my opinion. Misguided, but very generous, and well-intentioned.
The good Doctor...

True. Bur putting it that way makes one think of a child doing something on a whim...
...is in

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:19 pm
Doctor Salt
Tenth Speed Writer
The good Doctor...

True. Bur putting it that way makes one think of a child doing something on a whim...
...is in

You're saying it's so different?  

Tenth Speed Writer

[Perfect Calamity]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:29 am
"Good people will do good things, and bad people will do bad things. But for good people to do bad things -- that takes religion."
- Steven Weinberg

I havnt had something like that happen to me; but i cant exactly talk about atheism publicly. My parents would pretty much beat me if they knew i was atheist, so i only talk about it at school or online...

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff