Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Atalantë - A new beginning
Hobbits?!!? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think these creatures are Hobbits?
Yes!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No!
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
You're stupid...
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Possibly... but they may not have been the same Hobbits Tolkien wrote of.
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
And... Why did you waste the guild space with this?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OMG! Hobbits are so kewl!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Undetermined...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
O.O
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
I told you! I told you the Hobbits were real! *Does a happy dance*
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
I don't really care, but I'm going to vot anyways. 'Cause I'm cool like that.
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

Nimrodel of Lorinand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:10 am
This is a tad... late, but, did anyone else hear about how they found hobbits?
National Geographic had an article about it in their April '05 issue.

Quote:
At first we thought it was a child, perhaps three years old. But a closer look showed that the tiny, fragile bones we had just laid bare in a spacious cave on the Indonesian island of Flores belonged to a full-grown adult just over three feet (one meter) tall.

Had we simply found a modern human stunted by disease or malnutrition? No. The bones looked primitive, and other remains from Liang Bua, which means "cool cave" in the local Manggarai language, showed that this skeleton wasn't unique. It was typical of a whole population of tiny beings who once lived on this remote island. We had discovered a new kind of human.

Back in the lab, where we analyzed the bones and other artifacts, the full dimensions of what we had discovered began to emerge. This tiny human relative, whom we nicknamed Hobbit, lived just 18,000 years ago, a time when modern humans—people like us—were on the march around the globe. Yet it looked more like a diminutive version of human ancestors a hundred times older, from the other end of Asia.

We had stumbled on a lost world: pygmy survivors from an earlier era, hanging on far from the main currents of human prehistory. Who were they? And what does this lost relative tell us about our evolutionary past?

Personally, I think this means we are that much closer to finding evidence of elves...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:13 pm
Yes, the human hobbit! I remember hearing about this. It was really cool. They had disproportionately big heads if I remember right.

As for Elves, well they all left for Valinor so...  

Tears of the Siren

Nimrodel of Lorinand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:20 pm
Well... They could find the bodies of those who were slain in various wars.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:35 pm
I doubt it. The earth would have successfully hidden them through time.  

Rudhe
Captain

Rehanni_Wolfsheart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:55 am
Interesting.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:25 pm
funny...  

Dracolish

Puddum

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:58 pm
I either saw a show on the History Channel about pygmies/"hobbits" or read an article about them... or maybe both. But until I read something about large, hairy feet, I am unimpressed. razz  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:10 am
Puddum
I either saw a show on the History Channel about pygmies/"hobbits" or read an article about them... or maybe both. But until I read something about large, hairy feet, I am unimpressed. razz

ummm.... i have large, hairy feet, but 'm not small... does that mean i'm half hobbit?!?! blaugh  

Dracolish

Puddum

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:14 am
Dracolish
Puddum

ummm.... i have large, hairy feet, but 'm not small... does that mean i'm half hobbit?!?! blaugh
No, it means you're a guy. My boyfriend has large hairy feet, too. razz  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:35 am
Well, it's hard to find preserved skin samples, and I imagine Hairy skin samples are even rarer.  

Nimrodel of Lorinand

Puddum

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 am
I get what you're saying but the way it is, without us knowing anything about their culture or what they looked like with their skin and hair on, it seems like they're just regular old pygmies. I mean the whole idea of finding the missing link or any new link in our evolutionary past is fascinating, I just don't think we should connect them to Tolkien's hobbits. I think the closest we can get to finding "real" hobbits is by looking at the people that live where Tolkien grew up.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:01 pm
Well, considering that this is what they're supposed to look like....
http://www.corante.com/loom/archives/hobbit head-lo.jpg
I don't think so. razz  

The_Great_White_Snark

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:08 pm
I think that photo is rather fantastical...firstly the colouring, although hobbits do live in holes I doubt their skin tone is going to turn a darkish grey...secondly the flesh gives the face a very gaunt look....not really a trait of the ever eating hobbit folk. Neither skin tone or flesh can be revelled by the studying of the bones...that I know of.

I was just thinking, was there only one body found? If so the bones could have just belonged to a dwarfed person. Uncommon but certainly not extinct even to this day.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:59 pm
Cool. I'm gonna sail west from Ireland to see if I can get to Tir na nOg, okay?  

Galad Aglaron
Crew

Nimrodel of Lorinand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:21 am
Rudhheniel

I was just thinking, was there only one body found? If so the bones could have just belonged to a dwarfed person. Uncommon but certainly not extinct even to this day.

That's what the scientists were thinking, until they found more than one.
I have to go to school now, but when I get back I'll quote the actual artical... Ugh, I deplore typing...

Galad Damodred

Cool. I'm gonna sail west from Ireland to see if I can get to Tir na nOg, okay?

Okay, you do that. Send me a postcard when you get there, 'kay?

Atalantë - A new beginning

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff