Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Handing Out Bibles in School Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arios V

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:28 pm
As I was browsing around msnbc.com this evening, I stumbled across this article. For your viewing pleasure, here's the article:

msnbc.com

From the Associated Press:

ST. LOUIS - A federal judge has ruled that it's unconstitutional for a school district to allow the distribution of Bibles to grade school students.

For more than three decades, the South Iron School District in Annapolis, Mo., allowed representatives of Gideons International to give away Bibles in fifth-grade classrooms.

Eight parents sued two years ago and won a temporary injunction against the handouts.

The district then altered its policy, saying the Gideons and others were still welcome to distribute Bibles or other literature before or after school or during lunch break, but not in classrooms.

But federal Judge Catherine Perry now has ruled both practices unconstitutional, saying their purpose "is the promotion of Christianity" with the school's apparent endorsement.

Mathew Staver, president of Liberty Counsel, a religious legal advocacy organization, represented the school district and says he'll appeal.

I had a question I wanted to post for discussion, unfortunately my train of thought ran away as I was typing this (Thank you random cell phone call). So I'll leave it up to you guys to discuss this as you please while I try to remember my question.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:48 pm
Does it say whether or not this only applies to state-funded public schools? Because if I recall, a private school is out of government jurisdiction for something like this.  

ProjectOmicron88

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:58 am
What part of "Separation of Church and State" Do these people NOT UNDERSTAND!?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 am
ProjectOmicron88
Does it say whether or not this only applies to state-funded public schools? Because if I recall, a private school is out of government jurisdiction for something like this.

Which reminds me of something: I am very pro private school. I think our government sucks and would rather give popcorn companies millions of dollars to advertise overseas and new military recruits thousands of dollars as a sign up bonus than put on cent into our public education system. But at least around here in North West Indiana, I can't find a single private school that isn't somehow religiously affiliated! Does anyone know of any good private schools that are nonreligious?  

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:02 pm
I don't even know if there are any none religious Pvt. schools. Around here there is CBA and a few others.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:02 pm
Kharybuce
ProjectOmicron88

Which reminds me of something: I am very pro private school. I think our government sucks and would rather give popcorn companies millions of dollars to advertise overseas and new military recruits thousands of dollars as a sign up bonus than put on cent into our public education system. But at least around here in North West Indiana, I can't find a single private school that isn't somehow religiously affiliated! Does anyone know of any good private schools that are nonreligious?

Well there's... no... maybe... no, that's religious too... well, none that I can think of. As far as I know, most of them (at least around here, if not all) are religiously affiliated. I know of one in New York that a friend's friend goes to that isn't religious.

As for the topic on hand; as long as it's a public school, I disagree with anything religious being there except for in a world religions class, where the whole point of it is to learn about different religions. Anywhere else (in a public setting), infringes on the right of freedom from religion.

If it's a private school, I don't care. Sure, I do dislike religious private schools, but there's nothing I can do about them.  

CaprinaePsi

Arios V

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:54 pm
ProjectOmicron88

I'm pretty sure this article meant public schools, since it did mention "School District".  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:57 pm
Kharybuce
ProjectOmicron88

I haven't looked too much into the private schools around here, but as far as I know they're all religious.  

Arios V

Cirosan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:51 pm
A ruling regarding the separation of state and church that wouldn't make Thomas Jefferson roll in his grave? It's a festivus miracle!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:20 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
What part of "Separation of Church and State" Do these people NOT UNDERSTAND!?

The "Seperation of" part, apparently.

And as far as we're concerned, there are very little non-religious private schools around. None that we've seen, anyway. But we're totally against the whole 'passing out Bibles' thing, obviously. We wonder what people's reactions would be like if they started passing out copies of the Quran or Torah at public schools...

Slimy Hats

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:25 am
I stand by my INTENSE belief: RELIGION MUST BE DESTROYED FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF INTELLECTUAL ADVANCEMENT!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:33 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
I stand by my INTENSE belief: RELIGION MUST BE DESTROYED FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF INTELLECTUAL ADVANCEMENT!

Er...

Relax a bit. Religion isn't so bad. Or rather, spirituality isn't so bad. Organized religion superimposed over greedy men and fools in power, fueled by human nature, is.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Cirosan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis

That's a bit much. People can have their own forms of spiritual expression, superstition, or beliefs without it interfering with anything. However, when overconfidence in those beliefs interferes with one's life and the life of those around them, problems arise.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:06 pm
Eh.. We're better off without religion.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Redem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:56 am
I was given a new testament twice in my schooling. As a part of my communion and a part of my confirmation ceremonies.

But I did go to a catholic school, we don't need a public school pulling this crap. Especially a public school in a nation that makes such activities illegal.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff