Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"she's Atheist!" Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ruminating Skeptic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:07 pm
...so, does it bother anyone else that none of the douchebags in this world can speak english? it drives me up the wall when people use the word "atheist" as a verb. the word "atheist" is a freaking noun. why doesn't anyone get that?

my friends will be like "yeah, she's atheist" even after the FIFTH EFFING TIME I'VE TOLD THEM THEY'RE WRONG, IT'S AN ATHEIST! i might just have to call up the grammer nazi's or something if this doesn't stop!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:10 pm
Grammar Nazi at your service. heart  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:53 pm
I say "I'm Atheist" a lot. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:56 am
Another Grammar Nazi at your service. cool  

OmegaSidanto

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:16 am
I feel really stupid in saying this but I never really noticed, but now that you mention it it bugs the crap out of me.

Like people you pronouce Nuclear like Nucleor

*Joins the grammer nazis  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:10 am
User Image
How are you supposed to pronounce nuclear? New-klee-er, or New-kleer? Or Nuh-klay-are?  

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:27 am
I assume it's any other way than the way Bush pronounces it. 'Cause I remember him getting ripped apart for pronouncing it wrong.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:48 pm
Incorrect.

Atheist - Adjective: Unrelated to or lacking belief in any deity

Atheist - Noun: An individual who is atheist.

It's a loophole, but she's not wrong.  

Tenth Speed Writer

[Perfect Calamity]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Kharybuce
User Image
How are you supposed to pronounce nuclear? New-klee-er, or New-kleer? Or Nuh-klay-are?

New Clear.
i think. Thats how i say it anyway.

and now that you mention it, it kinda bugs me too, even tho im guilty of saying it a couple times...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:52 am
Yeah either Nu-clear...or New-clear, it's the emphasis on the clear most people forget/ don't do.

Once you have the burden of knowledge you'll start noticing how people are constantly saying it wrong, like my teachers.
And the funny thing is, I learned if from my friends not a teacher, like how the plural form of Cul-de-sac is Culs-de-sac...but now I'm getting off topic a wee bit...  

Crooked_Lamb

Slimy Hats

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:34 pm
♥Another Grammar Nazi at your service! :3

And it's pronounced noo-klee-er, according to dictionary.com.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:42 pm
[Perfect Calamity]
Kharybuce
User Image

New Clear.
i think. Thats how i say it anyway.

and now that you mention it, it kinda bugs me too, even tho im guilty of saying it a couple times...
It's new-cue-ler dummy. The "s" is silent.

-Peter Griffin.  

_C r y s t a l_RB

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:47 am
I've notice this. I really don't care though, to correct people. I mean, I try to go around and not let the little things bug me.

If I let the little things get to me, than I'd be irritated all the time. Since I am anti-grammar nazi, I could care less when someone does stuff like this.

Now when a person actually starts mouthing off lies and innaccuracies about atheism, than I might get a little rankled, but I really tend to keep it to myself, unless I am in the GD.

I don't pick fights unless there is a damn good reason.

The thing that bothers me the most when it comes to believers, are the ones who go about saying "Atheists believe in nothing!" The entire attitude and thought process behinds it really peeves me off quickly. I made a rant about in my gaia journal because I had nothing better to do at the time.

I'm tired of hearing it. Just because we don't believe in the creations of other people does not mean we "Believe in nothing". stare

Then of course that just comes down to how people who don't know what they are talking about needing to glue thier mouth shut or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:43 am
My girlfirend was talking to her coworkers the other day, and I was brought up.
Don't know how, don't know why... whatever.
Anyway, someone said that I'm not a real Atheist because I believe in love. 'Real Atheists don't believe in anything'.
GAHHH!!!!!!!!!
That's a nihilist, monkeys!

And it's nu-clee-ar, aka blow-the-crap-out-of-everything-in-blast-radius.

And my favorite music joke ever:
I'm a piper. I play for myself and everyone within a mile of ground zero.

Superior Jazz

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:19 am
Okay, I found an online dictionary that has an audio recording of how "nuclear" is supposed to be pronounced.

http://m-w.com/dictionary/nuclear

All you have to do is click the little red speaker things, and you can pick between a male and a females voice. They pronounce it "New-klee-er."  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff