Reply Movies
Books and Movies Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cute monkey6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:04 pm
You all know that many books are not like that movie remake of them. The scenes, story line, characters, or many things that happen in the movie are different tan the actual book. There are many examples of this, but I'm trying to make a point. Why are the movies different? Why can't the director or producer make the movie echo the book? Why must many interesting, exciting things from the book be lost in some foolish remake. When you read an interesting book, you can visualize what you are reading, in your own way, how you want to see it. Afterwards, when you see the movie, everything you knew was, in a way, lost. Those creative visualizations of what you imagined as you look at the book, word for word, and see what is, was, and will be are now covered up by others. Others that may make you question things, and make you sort of disappointed in the movie. Because no movie is better than its book. In fact, my mother read The Da Vinci Code. From the first curious word she read to the last exhilarating word she saw, she rarely put the book down except to sleep! She was so intrigued by it. But when she saw the movie, rather... disappointed. She said that the book overcame the movie by far. The book explains to you what the character is feeling, seeing, understanding, and believing. Whereas the movie only shows the character and what is happening around them. Except if the character is speaking voiceover,like in Forrest Gump, a brilliant movie by the way, there is no way of knowing what they feel and think. Which brings me to another point. Just like Forrest Gump, many movies don't have books. But they really don't need them. The movie was original and never had or was made into a book. But then again, you wonder, what would the book be like? Would it be better? Or worse? A lot of people say, after you see the movie, if you try to read the book, you will not find it interesting(which is hard to believe) or still like the movie better. But that is what books are for. To widen our imagination and see how far we can go. And movies, they help us understand what we didn't by reading, also showing us what the things in the book actually look like. But my final point is, are books better than movies? You tell me. Reply to this post, please. Your opinion counts a lot!

But mine is, that some movies , usually the ones without books and some with, are better and that some books are better than their movies. We will never truly know, but our opinions are our imagination. Like a book, never ending. Until we do.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:12 pm
I think that the reason is quiet simple: Everyone reads the book differently. I agree with you on The Da Vinci Code though >> it was an AMAZING book. The movie was well.... not what I expected. It was good, but just... lacking is brilliance! Forrest Gump is amazing too^^ In fact, I might just watch it tonight >> << I watched Clue last night >> << But that's not the point^^;; But over-all, movies are often times different than the books TTxTT I've seen movies that were BETTER than the book, though! I can't give an example right now, but it's all really on the directer and their budgets and whatnot^^;;

Yuki Rini-chan

Invisible Sex Symbol

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:46 pm
I agree with both of you. It really depends on how the director reads the book. That will determine what the movie is like. I haven't really seen many movies that were better than their respective books, but I'm sure they exist. Once again, that is based on point of view......  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:48 pm
Very good point you made! You never know why the book is better or why the movie is better. It all depends on how you take it in and how well you observe and understand the meaning of the both. Of course, the book is always more detailed. But, always, when I see a movie and haven't read the book, I lose interest to read it. I don't know why, but, well, I just can't explain. But sometimes it's better that there is a only a movie or book. Actually, I read a book called Edgar Allan. I mean, the book is awesome, but there is no movie. And then again, that is good! The movie would never probably match up to it. But It would be interesting to see some books made into movies. I can't name any now, but it would be interesting to see that one made.  

cute monkey6

Yuki Rini-chan

Invisible Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:59 pm
Exactly! I'm sure that if you asked, say.... 10 people to read Lord of the Flies, all at different ages (but not younger than 6th grade D'': I read it by my self in 3rd TTxTT Terrible, terrible choice TTxTT I didn't understand a thing --sigh--), and asked them what they liked about it, what they hated, and how they imagined the story, you would probably get VERY different answers, right? That's what I'm guessing happens with the movies^^ Or something of that nature >>
Oh! I'm glad you made this topic!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:43 pm
Ahah!
Same veiw.
I was just talking to my dad about this yesterday...>.>

Now why am I about to share my lifelong dreams with a bunch of people I dunno?
Mcuz I can! (Sorry about my Mcuz! o_o)

I plan to be a Movie Director. Im going to remake alot of Movies I beleive were poorly done. For example..The Harry Potter movies ((c) ze director of the harry potter movies...for now...>.> lolz) My dad had to pause the movie sooo many times and ask me what was going on in the last one, because it didnt make sence to him. Ah well, Ive got alot of movies on my list!
Well, on with my dreams! xp
Im going to be a Movie Director/Author/Manga Artist

Im going to Direct my books the way I want them, and also doodle them out in Magna. Woo~ heart  

PankurokkuBaco

Yuki Rini-chan

Invisible Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:16 am
And we'll all get front row tickets to see the premiers, right? xD I kid, I kid xD Don't forget us little people when you become famous^^
I want to become and actress or a singer^^;; I'm not sure if it will happen, but it's my dream^^

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:01 am
I think that beside directors way of reading the book the role of producent is important, and the screenplay writer as well, and an economy. If producent thinks that some lines in the novel can be wrong for the film - most of the people wouldn't like them or won't understand them he tells it to the screenplay writer... And lets be honest: some of the directors don't even read books - all they can see is screenplay...  

Inepta

Heaven_Leigh_Treasure

9,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:23 am
What you say about directors is very true, it is very much hinged on the way the director has interpreted the novel, but you forget one vital thing - directors aren't so much in it to recreate a book that people love (it is very rare nowadays) but to make as much money for themselves as possible. To them, the popularity of the book itself helps to increase the popularity of the movie they make, regardless whether it is any good. The main purpose is to attract viewers to the cinema in the first place, which is why they always ALWAYS take the best scenes from movies and put them together for the trailer. For movie directors to make a profit, they need to keep their costs to the bare minimum. So they cut the majority of the interwoven plot lines and characters we see in books down to the basic orientation-complication-climax-resolution plot we see on the screen. For people who read the books, it makes sense but for those who haven't gaping holes are left. and yes, it is a shame when people only turn to the book after the movie is released to fill in the gaps, because it means that now they cannot visualize things using their own minds, but rather they see it how the director sees it, and remained blinkered against using their own imagination  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:00 pm
penandpaper67
I agree with both of you. It really depends on how the director reads the book. That will determine what the movie is like. I haven't really seen many movies that were better than their respective books, but I'm sure they exist. Once again, that is based on point of view......

I agree. I think a lot of your opinion depends on if you saw the movie first or read the book first. For example, in my opinion, the movies of Lord of the Rings and Stardust were better than their books (I love the LotR books, but I think the movies were excellent). I did see the movie of Stardust and The Fellowship of the Ring before reading the books, though, so I generally like the changes the director made (although LotR I can still be angry). When you read the book first, though, you tend to prefer it over the film. I think that just says humans have issues adjusting to change and differences.  

WickedSong

XGamerRichy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:36 pm
In the cases of Eragon, I read the book before the film cam out, all throughout the movie I was critisizing it (On my birthday) because it was missing essential parts out if they wanted a sequel. Adding in things that didn't exist and generally messing up the story. (Massive sword fight and dragons. I don't think so, I mean, it was a terrible choice because the fight is supposed to be on the ground. Then Saphira saves the day by smashing the massive gem in the roof. stressed )

So yeah, that movie, although I like it now and I can watch it, I absolutely cannot stand that they bodged it up so badly. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:26 pm
Another problem with movies is think of most of those good books. How long do they take to even read aloud (even with OUT "seeing" it, just hearing it)? A book of just 300 page is about 7 hours read aloud! And yet most movies are NOT that long. So time constraints are yet another problem with movies ruining their books.  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:12 pm
Fear Richy if u dare
In the cases of Eragon, I read the book before the film cam out, all throughout the movie I was critisizing it (On my birthday) because it was missing essential parts out if they wanted a sequel. Adding in things that didn't exist and generally messing up the story. (Massive sword fight and dragons. I don't think so, I mean, it was a terrible choice because the fight is supposed to be on the ground. Then Saphira saves the day by smashing the massive gem in the roof. stressed )

So yeah, that movie, although I like it now and I can watch it, I absolutely cannot stand that they bodged it up so badly. sweatdrop

OMG! I HATE THAT MOVIE! evil It was so horrible! I didn't even like it as a movie, not comparing it to the book. And I went to see it on my birthday too. whee  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:41 pm
The problem with turning books into movies is, I think, that the advantage of books is that the only limit is your imagination. Movies are much more limiting. You see what you see, you hear what you hear, and that's the end of it, no more, no less. It's all right when the movie is original- there are many movies that I absolutely love, but trying to turn something so vast and beautiful into something so small isn't right, and it won't work.  

Wings Akimbo

Inepta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:55 am
maybe it works when watchers admit that film cannot be the book and learn themselves how to watch film and by the time of watching forget about book... And than make comments separetly for a book and the film - in the same way we speak in different manner of Ofelia from Shakepseres' "Hamlet" and the illustration of drown Ofelia...  
Movies

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff