A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Realistic Fiction
Jane Austen Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you read any of Jane Austen's books?
  I've read all of them!
  I've read a few
  I've only read one of her books
  I haven't read any
View Results

FlixiePixie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:18 pm
I thought I saw at least one other fan of Austen's works here, so I thought I'd start a thread. biggrin What is your favorite Jane Austen book? What do you think of the movie adaptations?

My favorite book is Sense and Sensibility. I love all the characters, but especially Colonel Brandon. I think he's one of her more well-written male characters. I love that he's so loyal to Marianne, who at times, might not deserve it. wink

I pretty much love any Pride and Prejudice movie ever to have come out... I think they're all great, and each have their own good qualities. Love the Emma Thompson/Hugh Grant version of Sense and Sensibility - and Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon = heart ! I thought the Hollywood versions of Emma and Mansfield Park were horrible, but the Persuasion movie with Amanda Root and CiarĂ¡n Hinds was pretty good! I'm looking forward to seeing more of the PBS Jane Austen special running right now in the U.S., although I wasn't a fan of their Northanger Abbey version.

I could seriously talk about this forever, so I hope to find someone who will chat with me!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:04 pm
I've only read Pride and Prejudice because I loved, loved, loved the movie. Mr. Darcy was just awesome! But the book was splendid also. ^^  

Out of Kansas

Inepta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:04 pm
I've read Sense and Sensibility after watching the film, than I've read Northanger Abbey, and now I'm in the middle of Sandition... Woman has great sense of chumour, I really enjoy her books...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:51 pm
I've read Pride and Prejudice and most of Sense and Sensibility. They're both good. I haven't seen any movies, though.  

WickedSong

Inepta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:41 am
Sense and Sensibiolity is great it's so picturesque... And it got some really funny scenes for example my fauvorite when all sensibilities are crying in their rooms with door shutted and one sensible is drinking tea on the staircase mrgreen ...  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:19 am
I'm in the middle of Sense and Sensibility. It's a bit frustrating (since there doesn't seem to be any sense or sensibility! So far the characters are very interesting, but it's a bit confusing with 3 or 4 Mrs.Dashwoods stare

I'm about to read Pride and Prejudice, so don't spoil it for me! smile  

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Inepta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:46 am
there is three od them but Margaret doesn't count in a book so there is only two Mrs. Dashwood and two Miss's Dashwoods about whom she writes... And I think it is rather easy to check of what Mrs Dashwood she is writing by the moment: about Johns wife she's always more rood than about his Mother- in law... smile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:55 am
Okay. I'm just saying it's a bit hard for me to read. I'm used to reading more recent books that are a bit less.. wordy. (Does that make sense?)  

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Inepta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:51 am
Sure for me at least course english not my born language, and I had some troubles in the beginning too, but I used to after some time... Now I can even understand some of Shakespeare smile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:43 am
Mom is a big fan of Jane Austen. She's read all of the books.

As for me... I've seen Pride and Prejudice (Very good movie! biggrin ) and I borrowed Sense and Sensibility from the library (I plan on reading it some time soon). I also watch the Jane Austen movies every Sunday on TV.  

Collote
Crew

FlixiePixie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:49 pm
Yes, I've been enjoying the Jane Austen movies on PBS too!! heart heart

The language is a bit hard to get used to if you haven't read that kind of book before. All I can say, is keep at it, and it will become easier... and worth it! smile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:00 pm
Yeah, I think there's going to be a special on TV of Pride and Prejudice every week. Is it on PBS? I 'm not sure  

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

FlixiePixie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:49 pm
Next Sunday will be the last day for Pride and Prejudice, I think.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:41 am
I love Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. They are both really good. I enjoyed reading Emma, but it's not one of my favorites. I like to watch the movies, but I always find something wrong with them.  

Earthest

WickedSong

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:10 pm
I just finished Persuasion yesterday. I like that book. It has some of the best quotes (in his letter) that I've heard. Good book. It was short and to the point, but had an amazing theme, great characters, and, as I mentioned, awesome quotes.  
Realistic Fiction

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff