Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So, I'm not allowed to see my best friend anymore. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Angst-Bot is your friend.
  Ph33r the angst!
  Don't you have to do dishes now?
  Is that a piano?
View Results

Angst-Bot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:20 am
Yeah, because I'm an atheist.

The last time I went over there, her mum attacked my religious views, which she apparently was recently informed of. Terrified to be completely shut off from my friend (which happened anyway), I didn't defend myself like I wish I had.

She was all 'BLAH BLAH BLAH LOOK AT EVERYTHING IT'S PROOF THAT THERE IS GOD I HAVE KIDS THIS MEANS THAT JESUS CLEARLY HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT'.

So, now, when her mother leaves (and she goes away a LOT), my friend can't stay with me. She has to stay with her ex-stepdad's/little sister's father's girlfriend. -_-

Have any of you been banned contact with someone?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:52 am
Hahaha Yep.

My ex's parents thought that I was the root of all of his sadness. His mom had this huge sit down with him and was all like "Is she influencing you? Are her evil ideas making you sad?" And a bunch of other crap like that. Oh well not that big of a loss really.

Who else, mostly all my other friends fail to mention this to their parents or they have cook parents who are like, "wow really? I would have never guessed."

P.S. Your sig is ******** hilarious.
P.S.S No pun intended.

Literacy Ninja

Angst-Bot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:13 am
Evil ideas! Bad ideas! Off the couch! D:<

And thank you. I appreciated the pun. (It's probably too big, neh?)  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:46 pm
That really sucks. My friends all know I'm atheist and they don't give a flying squirrel. One of my better friends mother is really christian. She doesn't go to church every sunday, but she believes what the bible says. But! When her and I have discussions, we don't get all "SEE PROOF! YOU'RE STUPID!" My friend's mom is really cool. When she isn't so stressed she's crazy. O.O! But that's really too bad about your friend, I'm sorry.  

PickleBoy

Redem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:19 pm
No one I know actually cares really.
As for your friend, you're not the first person someone's parents don;t approve of. Ignore them.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:34 am
Don't take this bull sh*t lying down! Confront her, use your superior atheist mind to reason with the delusional mother!  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Dronning Dagmar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:43 am
Many, many years ago when I was still Christian, a friend said he couldn't associate with me anymore because I was the wrong denomination of Christian. rolleyes

Not that this is a purely Christian or even religious phenomenon. People stop talking to people for all sorts of stupid reasons, and unfortunately when you are young, parents can be the ones with the stupid reasons instead of your friends directly.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:46 pm
I'm not supposed to have any contact with one of my friends since two years ago when her dad found out I was pro-choice. It isn't so much that he's Christain, it's that he's a fascist. She's afraid to tell him she's agnostic in fear that he'll kick her out and/or not allow her to see her mom until she turns 18. Her mom's awesome, though.  

LadyDarcia

Tchaik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:00 pm
User Image
My best friend's mom would do the same thing if she knew. She's scary like the stereotypical Bible-thumping religious zealot. gonk

I'm really sorry to hear your friend's mom has such an abnormally large stick up her a**. My best wishes to you that it eventually works out. C:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:42 pm
Well, none of my friends' parents know about my atheism, but my friends all do, as well as a lot of people at school. Besides adults who might have an effect on my life if they knew, I really don't mind anyone else knowing.

But geez...! Banning someone from seeing your child just because they're atheist! That's way over the top! I can't believe people would actually do things like that...  

Rune WolfHaven

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:38 pm
LadyDarcia
I'm not supposed to have any contact with one of my friends since two years ago when her dad found out I was pro-choice. It isn't so much that he's Christain, it's that he's a fascist. She's afraid to tell him she's agnostic in fear that he'll kick her out and/or not allow her to see her mom until she turns 18. Her mom's awesome, though.

Tell her to say, when she finally does come out, that "If you can't still love me for being agnostic then you don't deserve me as a daughter." No father should hate their daughter or kick them out of their house just because she's actually intelligent.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:26 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
LadyDarcia

Tell her to say, when she finally does come out, that "If you can't still love me for being agnostic then you don't deserve me as a daughter." No father should hate their daughter or kick them out of their house just because she's actually intelligent.

I'm sure she can decide for herself what to say. And I'm certain it won't be that; she won't disown someone she loves.  

LadyDarcia

Angst-Bot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:59 pm
AGH RESPONSES

PickleBoy
That really sucks. My friends all know I'm atheist and they don't give a flying squirrel. One of my better friends mother is really christian. She doesn't go to church every sunday, but she believes what the bible says. But! When her and I have discussions, we don't get all "SEE PROOF! YOU'RE STUPID!" My friend's mom is really cool. When she isn't so stressed she's crazy. O.O! But that's really too bad about your friend, I'm sorry.

Ugh. I'm jealous. D;

Redem
No one I know actually cares really.
As for your friend, you're not the first person someone's parents don;t approve of. Ignore them.

I know. It's just hard, right now.

-GS-Sailor Nemesis
Don't take this bull sh*t lying down! Confront her, use your superior atheist mind to reason with the delusional mother!

I wish I had. At the time, though, I was afraid of something like this happening, so I basically just...crouched under the table and covered my head. D;

But I don't think I'm superior because I'm atheist.

Dronning Dagmar
Many, many years ago when I was still Christian, a friend said he couldn't associate with me anymore because I was the wrong denomination of Christian. rolleyes

Not that this is a purely Christian or even religious phenomenon. People stop talking to people for all sorts of stupid reasons, and unfortunately when you are young, parents can be the ones with the stupid reasons instead of your friends directly.

Aww. D; Those kinds of people are never going to get along well in the world.

Yeah, it really sucks to be younger but mature. I've been hanging around on the internet for years, debating so as not to lose my mind. And that best friend described up there is one of the few people that I could have intelligent conversations with.

LadyDarcia

I can't stand people like this. Gahh. -flops arms irritably- Why are there so many of them?

Tchaik
User Image
My best friend's mom would do the same thing if she knew. She's scary like the stereotypical Bible-thumping religious zealot. gonk

I'm really sorry to hear your friend's mom has such an abnormally large stick up her a**. My best wishes to you that it eventually works out. C:

Why is it that the kids are awesome and the parents suck? :/

And thank you very much.

Kibeth
Well, none of my friends' parents know about my atheism, but my friends all do, as well as a lot of people at school. Besides adults who might have an effect on my life if they knew, I really don't mind anyone else knowing.

But geez...! Banning someone from seeing your child just because they're atheist! That's way over the top! I can't believe people would actually do things like that...

It's not something I announce until it comes up. o-x I don't even know how she found out.

I didn't believe it until it happened, either. She seemed like a really...open person. << Her family was like my secondary family, and vice versa for her kids.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:14 am
It is interesting what strange and silly things being religious can cause people who take it too far to do.

Don't worry too much that your friend's parents have forbidden you to see your friend. At least your friend isn't the one not associating with you for being an atheist.

The two of you should still keep in contact, perhaps through the internet, until there is a time where you can get around the whole parental authority thing.

It does seem that the younger generation is much more tolerant the older generation, although you find those here and there who are just as intolerant as their elders.

Sanguvixen

JPRG-forever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:00 pm
Quote:
Have any of you been banned contact with someone?

Yes. From my girlfriend. Not becuase of religious reasons, but becuase I'm a boy and she's a girl and every guy reading this will know what I mean.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff