Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Youth Alive Christian club... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

H0wling_Blue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:58 pm
They're these kids at my school. They go around asking people if they've let Christ into their hearts and such.
They press the issue.
They meet every week to sing and bug people in our performing arts center. It's not a very welcoming thing, to be pestered like that. Most of my friends are Christian though, and they don't seem to care if I believe differently.
Anyone else here have problems like that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:46 pm
Fortunately, no. Not many people here are open about their religious preferences. I know that some people are religious, but through talking with other people.

It's probably because I live in South Florida, and not in the North (aka the South).  

CaprinaePsi

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:03 pm
I've not had such an experience yet.

I suppose there are people out there that cannot really take no for an answer. For those people, you are better off ignoring them and acting as though they do not exist, and are not there.

Right now I have my own issues with a group of Christian girls in my martial arts class. They tend to bugger people who cannot make it to their "Bible talk/study meetings."

One in particular is their ring leader and she goes around in a preppy overly happy voice/attitude, and she can't stop talking about her religion. Every inch of my skin crawls when I am around them in class. One of them butted heads a little bit after class with my friend who is aggressively anti-religious, and she started talking about how "You can't question Jesus, and you can't question god." and ever since she said that my skin crawls even more because this clueless sheep is leading another group of clueless sheep with the mentality that you "Don't ask questions" and that bothers me to no end.

One of the group cornered me in the bathroom asking if I was interested in their Bible study. I told her that I am against organized religion and she turned around and asked "Well what religion are you?". After that I restated my original reply in a much more aggressive manner than I meant to, but I hate the whole lot of them. She left me alone after that.

It is has been a long time since I've met a group of people who could make my skin crawl and creep me out the way they do, and I consider that my own intuition kicking in to tell me, something is wrong with some of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:22 am
Yeesh... the ignorant follow blindly.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

H0wling_Blue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:47 pm
That's one reason I could never really believe in religion. I do not follow without good reason. I don't think anyone should. And I WILL try to ignore the small minds in the future.. It's just difficult. It.. It gets really aggravating, and I have a short temper. Self control in that kind of situation is hard for me to retain...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:04 pm
I do have a Christian Club at my school. they can get pretty bad  

JPRG-forever

Arios V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:19 pm
Luckily, I haven't run into anything like that yet. I know there's a fairly large Christian Group at my school and I've heard from people that they can get a little....rowdy when it comes to their spreading their faith.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:31 pm
They like to be.. The opposite of what they say they are. Respect, love, kindness, charity.. All Crap.

H0wling_Blue

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:59 pm
User Image
I love living in the northeast. heart  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:01 pm
Yeah.. I'm in teh Southwest. I hate it here.....

H0wling_Blue

Rick Dawkins

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:00 pm
I'm in Texas, seen this stuff a lot. Believe me, don't even think about trying to convince these guys there's no god. It's not worth the headaches or the time. If you want to be proactive, just make sure everyone else knows how ******** crazy they are. Oh, but if they're not Catholic, tell them the Pope doesn't consider them true Christians.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6289014.stm  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:22 am
Meirelle
User Image
I love living in the northeast. heart

What state? I'm from PA. (Sorry to side track) I never really run into any religious problems up here.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Xiporah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:56 am
We never had that problem in my school. There was a Youth for Christ club...I think. I don't know. I think I saw a flyer...Or maybe that was in college. I don't know, but I never ran into that around here.

I live in the MD suburbs of Washington DC.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:22 pm
I haven't had issues like that, but I've dealt with religious loonies before. At my school, we have some of every group.

I remember one time in English we were discussing a quote from To Kill a Mockingbird that went something like "You live with Christian folks in a Christian town..." I said that it gave off a negative connotation with me because I strongly dislike religion, especially the prejudice that comes with it, ESPECIALLY the prejudice against LGBT people. One thing came to another, and this one girl (she's disgustingly innocent and a pansy Christian) said, in response to something about Tom Robinson being innocent 'cause he didn't choose to be black just as homosexuals don't choose their orientation, "Black people don't choose to be black, but gay people choose to be gay." I slammed the table and COMPLETELY flipped!! It sounded like most of the kids in my class sided with me, which was a relief. Needless to say, she shut up xd

That same girl saw me reading Ethics Without God one time during AP Government, and said "That's so sad!" Naturally, I lol'd and explained the premise of the book, putting emphasis on the fact that you don't need a god to have morals.

I have plenty of fun stories, but those are two that stick out in my memory. Did I forget to mention we're studying The Merchant of Venice next? >D Wish me luck in the discussions~  

Teoka

Alphabet Whore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:59 am
See, I live in California. About half the kids at my school are atheist.

The Bible Club isn't too brutal. But they coax you into it through pizza. They're smart.

Once, my atheist friend went. She was sitting near the back, hood up, arms crossed, trying to be inconspicuous. Then the preacher dude came up and used her as an example. You know "This girl is amazing. She has sacrificed her time to help spread the love of Jesus." She never went back, thank goodness. xd  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff