Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I wonder if I should tell my dad I'm an atheist... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xiporah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:06 pm
I wonder what he'd say, I really do.

I've never discussed religion with him, not in all my 27 1/2 years has the subject ever come up with him about my beliefs. He calls his mother (my grandmother) a Holy Roller and gets really annoyed when she brings it up.

He's more of a "HERE AND NOW! WOO LOOK AT THAT! HOORAY FOR NASCAR!" Kind of person. Not interested in church and hasn't been to one since he was a teenager, as far as I know.

I think I'll ask my mom if the two of them ever discussed me and religion.

EDIT:

Xiporah
Update: I told him. We were discussing his mother, my grandmother and how it's 'her way or the highway' with nearly everything she does and how I think she's come to terms with the fact that I'm not what she expected out of a granddaughter.

I mentioned that I'd never tell her that I don't believe in god. He didn't even seem to notice that I'd said it, he just said 'yeah!' and kept bitching.

I didn't think he would.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:33 pm
I know how it feels, I'm pretty sure my mom isn't homophobic and knows that I'm bi (long story), but still, I'm afraid to tell her. I don't know why... maybe I just don't see the use for it?

Anywho, it seems like your dad would be cool with it. But that's just me.  

CaprinaePsi

JPRG-forever

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:59 pm
Xiporah

I've never discussed religion with him, not in all my 27 1/2 years has the subject ever come up with him about my beliefs. He calls his mother (my grandmother) a Holy Roller and gets really annoyed when she brings it up.

He's more of a "HERE AND NOW! WOO LOOK AT THAT! HOORAY FOR NASCAR!" Kind of person. Not interested in church and hasn't been to one since he was a teenager, as far as I know.

Here come old flattop he come grooven up slowly,
He got juju eyeball he one holy roller,
he got hair down to his knees
Got to be a joker he just do what he please.
Sorry, your coment "holy roller" made me remember that part of the song.
Who cares what he thinks. Just say it. How selfish is it to believe in what you want to believe in?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:58 am
JPRG-forever
Xiporah

Here come old flattop he come grooven up slowly,
He got juju eyeball he one holy roller,
he got hair down to his knees
Got to be a joker he just do what he please.
Sorry, your coment "holy roller" made me remember that part of the song.
Who cares what he thinks. Just say it. How selfish is it to believe in what you want to believe in?
I said I was curious, I didn't say I'd cared about it.

The only reason I've never brought it up to him is because it's weird. I don't associate my dad with being 'Mr. Likes to Have in Depth Discussions'

Xiporah

Deaths asistant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:16 pm
Every one knows im an atheist and I know parents are differant but why are you afraid if your 27 1/2 like you say then what does it matter its your life theres no reason to be afraid to tell him... to be honest I dont think he would care and I dont see why you should either. I told my dad I was an atheist and he said okay and hes about as religous as you said your dad is... I doubt he would care.

Devoted atheist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:45 pm
I told my mom. She was pretty cool with it.
I still haven't told my dad.
He doesn't go to church, but he does believe in God and gets defensive about it. When I first realized that I didn't actually believe in God (Years ago, when I first actually started thinking about it. I've been raised in a Christian family who doesn't go to church, but the whole believing in God thing had been pretty much subconscious, and something I just assumed I believed in.) I'm 15 now, and I've just pretty much let everyone know that there's not enough substantial evidence, not enough reason for me to believe in some omnipresent deity. I believe in other things, but not God.
But anyways, back on topic. A few weeks ago, I'd bought some tarot cards for fun (Not out of belief), and when I came home, my dad asked me what I'd bought. So I showed him a few CDs and the tarot cards and whatever else I'd gotten. "Why did you buy tarot cards!?" "For fun?" "The bible says tarot cards are evil!" "Tarot cards aren't evil. They just give you some nice, generic advice." "The bible says anything that can predict the future is evil!" "They don't necessarily predict the future."
And that was the last time we've even touched on the topic of religion. It's not something we talk about, just something that's assumed. So my mom hasn't told him, either. Probably because she figures that it's up to me who I want to know about my "religion."
Personally, I hardly like to call Atheism my religion.
Moreso, my common sense.  

Squidicide

Xiporah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:41 am
Update: I told him. We were discussing his mother, my grandmother and how it's 'her way or the highway' with nearly everything she does and how I think she's come to terms with the fact that I'm not what she expected out of a granddaughter.

I mentioned that I'd never tell her that I don't believe in god. He didn't even seem to notice that I'd said it, he just said 'yeah!' and kept bitching.

I didn't think he would.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:54 am
The way I see it, neither of my parents necessarily needs to know of my atheism at this point in time. My grandfather knows, and he respects my right to believe (or not) as I feel is right. My dad is one of those who believes in god and has very opinionated ideas about it, but doesn't go to church - but if anything comes up about it, like gay or interracial marriage, he has no problem spouting off his opinion and yelling at anyone who disagrees. My mother is menopausal, which has made her hyper-religious in a lot of ways, and she thinks that god controls every little aspect of her life. She mentions something or other about church almost every single time I see her, and once I stopped being a Christian (which I did tell her about, but not my father, who still thinks I am one), she told me it was okay, as long as I didn't have a problem with 'god.' XD  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Atheistic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:26 pm
My father doesn't go to chuch OFTEN, but does believe in God and reads the bible regularly and is very religious. I told him several months ago I'm not Christian. He thinks I'm agnostic...I think...but anyways point is I'm scared to tell him I'm an Atheist. He would freak out and probably get all sad and emo on me. Blah I'm not going to tell him anything until he asks. And if he doesn't ask...that's fine with me. It's not really his business. It's MY beliefs...  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:27 pm

For a while I've wanted to talk about my atheism or religion in general with my dad, because I think he'd "care" less than my mom would. I don't think my dad is religious, he's never given a hint that he was. My mom on the other hand is and i don't think she'd be to pleased to hear it from me. Once I move out in the fall I can safely change my myspace/facebook religion to "Atheist". whee

JadeDragonSoul

[The Looney Bin]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:07 am
The dinosaurs are returning...

JadeDragonSoul.
Make sure that when you change that religion on myspace and facebook (and if your parents find out) that you're not financially dependent on them for things like college.

...and they want their oil back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:39 pm

I shouldn't be, since my financial aid will pay for almost all of it. Plus, I know my mom enough to know she won't go that far. 3nodding It's just something I'd rather avoid face to face if it comes up, may not be pretty, but it won't be "fatal".

JadeDragonSoul

T3xtual Harassm3nt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:40 pm
i'd say its purely up to you.
you should decide weather you want to tell him or not.

in my case its "it doesn't matter at all, so he doesn't need to know"  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:59 pm
The question is will he love you any less? and if so, do you want his love anyway? if he will look down upon you for what goes on in your mind? I say just ********' do it damn it.

There is absolutely no reason you should fear him, or worry of his opinons. Who cares if they label you a heretic?

My boss is a hypocritical christian... she is always speakin' of the amazing powers of god and i'm stuck listening to her rambling and her bible-thumping music all god damn day... I've told her that i am not religious, all she did was ignore me, she pretended she did not hear me.  

Goddess of the Coulee

Sex! at the Disco

4,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:21 am
The only person in my family who knows is my mother, and I catch so much grief about it from her. She's by far the most tolerant, because anyone else would have me in the pastor's office every weekend "re-discovering" Christ.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff