Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

x-Genghis-x
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:26 am
Later on.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:07 pm
Good day. It's nice to meet you all!

I'm Josephine Falnor, but you all can call me Josephine or Jo. I also go by the Demon Pirate of Fleet Street. If you want to make something up to call me, that's fine too.

For a long time, Ancient Egypt was my favorite time period. Over the years, I've become interested in other times and places. At the moment, I prefer the history of piracy in the Spanish Main. Also, anything Victorian is cool. biggrin

Let me know if you want to know anything else. Bye!

Josephine Falnor
Crew

8,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100

x-Genghis-x
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:02 pm
Same here! The pyramids and Egyptians in general just fascinate me to no end.

My interest in piracy started when I discovered that Bartholomew Roberts or "Black Bart," shares the same birthday as me. pirate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:17 pm
Hello! I am Rebecca, or Becky. I love ancient Egypt, the Reniassance, and gothic cathedrals. I love writing, reading, and (duh) history. Ummm. let me know if you need any more info mrgreen !  

Celestial Rapture

Lhuv-Kerapht

4,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:40 pm
I go by the moniker "Lhuv-Kerapht" and feel free to pronounce that out loud if the little joke isn't immediately evident. It is a somewhat old and, frankly, borrowed joke - and nickname - but my reasons for taking it are fairly numerous. I have been known in impish moments to respond to "Howard" or even "Howie" as well - a side-effect of my writing style and a running gag with my local friends. I'm not as stuffy as I may sound from my posts, but I am most often on Gaia at night, when my prose tends to wend a trifle toward the purple. For that, I must apologize, but I'm afraid if I try to edit my posts ruthlessly enough to root out all vestiges of overcoloring, I'd never get anything done, and earn no gold in the meantime!

As something of an enthusiastic antiquarian and historical re-enactor, I was pleasantly surprised to receive the invitation. I, too, have a special fondness for ancient Egypt, as well as Rome, Greece, and Europe in general from about the Neolithic Era until about the Edwardian period in England, though the British Isles, I must own, ranks as a grand favorite in nearly any era. My actual knowledge in these areas varies age to age, however. I have several books on piracy and entertain a fascination with it from time to time, though the recent Disney movies have buried that for the moment under the crushing weight of a billion or so fangirls swooning over a certain Captain. American history interests me but little after the Colonial era, except for a few bright spots here and there. The Aughts, 'Teens, Twenties and Thirties amuse me in part. Nearly anything can grasp at my fancy if it baits a hook prettily enough!

In full pursuit of my occassional medievalism, I belong to the Society for Creative Anachronism, and in many ways we are much like the Civil War folk, save for the area of interest and a few other minor trifles. I tend to focus on heraldry primarily, but I also have been known to dabble in costuming, pyrography and whatever else happens to present itself. I am a hopeless dilettante! (As well as a voracious reader, an occassional writer of disturbingly purple prose, perpetrator of occassionally regretable verse, introvert, rock hound, amateur Latinist, "cheesoholic", collector of older books - when I can afford it - and inveterate eccentric!)

At home, I most often spend my evenings anymore reclining in my deliriously comfortable antique Morris chair beneath my "iron" chandelier, either reading, writing (when my Muse flogs me about my negligent pate), or gleefully whiling away a few otherwise perfectly good hours on Gaia. In truth, I'm becoming a bit fed up with television, and the thing is becoming more often a mere box upon which to watch DVD's. I'm not sure I'll much mark the passage of analog broadcast as it fades into oblivion!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:56 pm
Wow, that is quite an impressive introduction.

Welcome to History's Children.

x-Genghis-x
Captain

Nasuko-San
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:58 am
I'm Nasuko-San, but you can call me one of the following:
Nas, Your Royal Sexiness, or Zach.

I live in New York, U.S.A, and I can't stop hoping on Gaia in my free time. I'm 15 years old.

I'm a writer and a historian, so much so that I'm going to be a history teacher when I get out of college after serving in the army. I have my life planned out.

My interests in history are military history, and that's pretty much it. I like all history (Except the Enlightenment Era...damn you!!).

My primary era is World War I and World War II, abbreviations be damned, and I can tell you about anything World War II, and most of World War I.

My favorite band is The Killers, and that's about all you need to know about me.

Nice to meet you all.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:29 am
What was the Enlightenment Era?  

x-Genghis-x
Captain

SequoiaSeeds

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:57 am
I'm Kevin. I live in Pennsylvania, and I'm 15.
I love learning history, but I can't honestly say that I know that much.
I like almost anything, but I think religions in history are interesting.
I don't really know any one area in detail but I have some at least general knowledge about a good number of places.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:13 am
Welcome!

That makes four of us, I think, that are around the 15-16 age mark.

x-Genghis-x
Captain

Nasuko-San
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:26 am
.x.marley.x.
What was the Enlightenment Era?

It was when philosophers like Rousseau thought up all these ideas like Nature Rights. It's great to know that they inspired the U.S.A, but it's just really...really dry.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:30 pm
Oh okay, fair enough.  

x-Genghis-x
Captain

bighairy dog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:11 pm
Hello my name is rachel! I love history espeically european. I like reading and art and its very nice to meet you all.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:58 pm
Nice to meet you too.

Your username made me laugh.

x-Genghis-x
Captain

Clutzy_Ditz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:23 am
Hello, I'm Holly and live in Idaho, USA. Thank you for inviting me to the guild. I feel as if I might be the official antique of this guild, being 46, and having lived through some years that are considered historical now.

It's a bit ironic that I was not interested in History during my school years. In the '70's it was a boring subject, demanding memorization of names and dates, dates and names. I guess I was just too hyper for all that to grab my attention. Do they teach it the same way now?

As an adult, I have become extremely curious about "what was before". Looking back shows us why we are who we are. I don't know how truthful school history books are now, but I know the ones I read embellished and excluded. So it's very thought-provoking to learn what really happened.

US history does not intrigue me, maybe because it is so young, and maybe because much of the truth was lost. Although, the recent World Wars are very interesting to me, but I can access the information from the perspective of the entire world, so it is fairly unbiased.

Other than that, I suppose I can say that all of history is a delectable subject for me. I look forward to reading in this site. I may not state my own opinion very often, but I think I will enjoy learning the perspectives of the people belonging to History's Children.  
Home

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff