Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Tibetian Revolt & Olympic torch relay discussion thread Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should Tibet be separated from China?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Etaf Evael

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:46 pm
Everybody knows that there's a Lama revolt in Tibet, China right?

Read the news link first:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080317/ap_on_re_as/china_tibet_81

http://english.china.com/zh_cn/news/china/11020307/20080317/14729826.html

Please share your views on how to improve the situation.

Right now the relationship between Lama worshippers and inland China is really can not be described. I wish for Tibetians and inland China be in good terms again. And whomever is in charge of the Tibetian violence should be stopped. I personally believe that Tibet is always part of China, no matter how I look it. It's only the Dalai leader who's at fault causing the divide.
I also think that the Chinese government's belief is that the only way to run a country is through guns. Given the population of China, it is really hard to run a country with that many people. Maybe they need to loosen up the human rights infringement part a bit...

Edit from Niph to ANYONE WHO IS IN LONDON OR THE SOUTH OF ENGLAND: There's a pro-Chinese Tibet march from Trafalgar Square to the Chinese Embassy on Sunday 23rd March... I might go..

This thread has been stickied until the furore dies down, as a source of trying-to-be-balanced information for anyone who wants it. Currently most Western sources are fairly biased, even my beloved BBC, so be careful about what you read and believe. Watch the YT vid, it's good. <3

CNN transcript of interview with last Western journalist in Tibet

Thread in Extended Discussion: Political

Times article about situation with riots

De-stickied since.. uh.. the furore has died down? xDD;;

KITTY - and the FB group - IS IN THE NEWS! XD

Trouble in Japan
China to talk with Dalai side

Cnn gets sued.
I'm sure most of you have seen these on the facebook group, but for those that don't use facebook.
Goons and Thugs. Cnn Insults China and Chinese.
Petition for a formal apology from CNN instead of a lame coverup and for the commenter to be fired.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:47 pm
I also found an interesting video on youtube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x9QNKB34cJo  

Etaf Evael

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:15 pm
Totally agree. With everything.

Facebookers: join.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:20 pm
Niphz
Totally agree. With everything.

Facebookers: join.

Good for you smile  

Etaf Evael

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:10 pm
Crush all unrest and crush them without mercy. Who gives a damn what ignorant westerners think. Let them wail and flail all they want, give them the satisfaction of crying foul while showing them that, despite all their crying, they can't do jack about it.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:01 pm
crying FOUL!!! crying  

berryscary1

DevilsLight

6,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:06 am
Pure opinion, if they want to be separated from China deal with the political people not the citizens. I find it unfair and disgusting that they are taking it out on the commoners who have zero power in terms of breaking them away from the main Country.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:59 am
Yes. Somehow the Tibetans have turned into the "victims"... rolleyes

Niphz
Crew

Etaf Evael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:19 am
And the CIA now is making them worse.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:46 pm
I feel sorry for the poor Tibetans who have been killed and injured in the revolts by the Chinese military. The political problems over there could have been dealt with peacefully, or at least by negotiation and diplomacy instead of use of force. Unfortunately, I doubt any country in the world will actually condemn what China is doing, let alone try to force sanctions on it (China is a Security Council permanent member after all). With the Olympics only months away, virtually all Western countries have turned a blind eye to what is happening. They know they are powerless to do anything about it. If a country like Myanmar, which is a hole, can get away with brutal repression and massacre, than a world power like China certainly can.  

Minielf

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:02 pm
Minielf
I feel sorry for the poor Tibetans who have been killed and injured in the revolts by the Chinese military. The political problems over there could have been dealt with peacefully, or at least by negotiation and diplomacy instead of use of force. Unfortunately, I doubt any country in the world will actually condemn what China is doing, let alone try to force sanctions on it (China is a Security Council permanent member after all). With the Olympics only months away, virtually all Western countries have turned a blind eye to what is happening. They know they are powerless to do anything about it. If a country like Myanmar, which is a hole, can get away with brutal repression and massacre, than a world power like China certainly can.

Sorry but I don't quite understand your post mini. What Chinese military? The PLA has not yet been involved in the riot. It was the violent protesters who were killing people and smashing shops and looting goods. How can you be trying to justify that and say the only reason the world isn't doing anything about it is cause China is a world power is beyond me. Perhaps you should get your facts straight before making accusations?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:03 am
I think perhaps a balance needs to be struck here. 'elfy dear, you have to realise, the violence was initiated by the Tibetan protestors who looted and burnt Chinese shops and stuff. On the other hand, kitty has to recognise that yes, the Chinese military are involved, and they are being rather hard-handed. Perhaps a crackdown is not the nicest way of dealing with this, but actually -- what else can they do? They did give protestors some time to hand themselves in, and some have; but others who haven't will undoubtedly be dealt with harshly. So be it; they are criminals who damage and hurt others.

As for the West - I don't know what news you've been reading recently, 'elfy, but the media at least is being highly critical of China. There is no 'turning of the blind eye'. The governments aren't doing much except to condemn violence on both sides, which I agree is probably due to China's powerful position on the international scene. But of course the Western media is bound to be.. Western; many facts (see the video that xu put up) are being ignored in favour of what I call "unmitigated China-bashing".

Feel free to debate further. This is healthy. (:

Niphz
Crew

mymiridon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:29 pm
Ah yes, "free" tibet. That can't be very necessary now right? I mean it's been decades, it's not as if the communist invaded Tibet and forced them to live in poverty. From what I've see, the Tibetans had it pretty good under the chinese gov't. Though I'm not completely sure. Besides isn't part of Tibet under Indian control as well? Why not get independence from India too? And as an american citizen, I would like to know; What is the CIA doing in Tibet? We have enough issues in the states without getting involved with other countries.
p.s. I think it's because the olympics are coming up is probably why this negative tibet attention is being aired.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:32 pm
Yalie-sensei, ever the voice of down-to-earth sense.. -worship-

Kitty dear, the repliers to your thread are hilarious. I'm dealing with them now. (:

Niphz
Crew

Minielf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:25 pm
Cat-Whiskers
Minielf

Sorry but I don't quite understand your post mini. What Chinese military? The PLA has not yet been involved in the riot. It was the violent protesters who were killing people and smashing shops and looting goods. How can you be trying to justify that and say the only reason the world isn't doing anything about it is cause China is a world power is beyond me. Perhaps you should get your facts straight before making accusations?

You must have misread me. I never said the chinese military was responsible for the revolt; the idiot Tibetan radicals and protesters were definitely to blame. Certainly the Chinese government has the right to crush protests and revolt in any part of its territory. However, the way it's doing it could have been done better. People in the west still remember Tiananmen Square and the events in Tibet right now are being portrayed in the same light by the media. Both sides could easily come to a compromise agreement that prevents the violence from escalating and drawing world attention.

Niph: Of course I realize that the violence was caused by Tibetan protesters and of course I concede that some sort of crackdown and arrests against these protesters is absolutely neccessary. But surely you must understand that what the western media think about the events in Tibet is of absolutely no consequence. It's the governments of western countries who have the power to respond to what's happening. And they have definitely turned a blind eye, or at least have done nothing to respond. That's certainly the case here in Australia, with our mandarin-speaking Prime Minister.

And the last one for Kitty: China being a world power definitely gives it the immunity from any international action. Just look at western responses to the turmoil in Pakistan and Myanmar: the EU, US and Australia have all expressed major concern or have condemned the violence going on in these two countries, and have actually made siginifigant responses, even if they are symbolic, like Australia boycotting from any cricket tour of Pakistan or the UN sending an envoy to Myanmar.  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff