Reply Realistic Fiction
The Catcher in the Rye Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

irock708

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:37 pm
I drastically fail because I really like this book (one of my favorites) and yet I forgot to make a topic on it. Anyways, it's a rather depressing book with a depressed character (Holden Caufield). But it's oh so good.

Anyone read it? I have to read it again for school. I don't mind the reading part, it's just that I don't like how we're getting tested on it. It's irritating, I think.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:25 pm
I have to read it for school too. Except not for another month.... I may just start it soon anyways, so that I'm ahead.  

penandpaper67
Captain

irock708

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:12 am
Good call. It's a very good book and it's definitely worth reading.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:00 pm
It was good. I really liked it. The writing style was different and it was SO descriptive. Holden Caulfield bugged me a little bit, but I guess most people are at least a little bit like him. Most people look for flaws in everybody else because they don't want to look for them in themselves and Holden's a good example of that. I'm most certainly like that as well, though I wouldn't like so much to admit it. sweatdrop  

penandpaper67
Captain

irock708

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:32 pm
I can connect to Holden a lot... I hate what he calls "phonies" and everything else that's "phony," and yet I'm hypocritical about that stuff because I know I can get pretty phony, too. It's a great book. I need to finish re-reading it before break's over.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:16 pm
I know what you mean! I think of a lot of people who go to my school as phonies (I go to a private school...), but then I might do something phony myself. I don't know... I think that Holden Caulfield was phony in a way too. Since it was written in first person, you read his thoughts, which he wouldn't necessarily voice aloud. Although his thoughts seemed blunt and to the point, his actions and words didn't really match that.  

penandpaper67
Captain

irock708

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:10 pm
Hah, I read an essay that was composed of critiques and reviews of Catcher in the Rye for my English class today and I agreed with them for the most part. Would you like to see it?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:24 pm
Umm... Sure. I'm going to have to read it again (in slow motion though) while my class actually reads it. Although I don't really mind... I just don't like rereading things so soon... Oh well.  

penandpaper67
Captain

irock708

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:06 pm
Well, I'll have to take the time to scan it some time, since I don't feel like typing out the entire thing ahaha

I know what you mean about rereading stuff, though.  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:00 am
A Catcher in the Rye is my all-time favorite book. I recommended it to all of my friends and they couldn't get through it because they hated Holden Caulfield so much. sad  

Volatile Rainbow

irock708

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:58 pm
._.

Why? I know a ton of kids who loved the book BECAUSE of Holden!  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:31 pm
Really! My whole English class absolutely LOVED the book, partly because they liked Holden, although it was mostly because of Phoebe. She is one awesome character!  

penandpaper67
Captain

irock708

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:40 pm
The people who I know liked it because of Holden and all the adult material in it, lul. Talk about immature xD  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:07 pm
I got through like the first few chapters, put the book down and lost it.
I really should pick it up again, I liked Holden.  

Calla Ayden

Moonlight Gaian

9,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Window Shopper 100

irock708

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:06 am
Yeah, you should. It's a really great novel...  
Realistic Fiction

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff