Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheist funerals Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ozraptor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:31 pm
When you die, what do you think should happen at your funeral? Even though you wont have any say in it, what would you want people to say about you? Where should you have your funeral?

I would personally like to have my funeral at a garden, and to have my mother tell people about my life, my friends,etc. I would want no mention of "Higher forces" taking my soul somewhere. I would love to be buried with a picture of my family.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:40 pm
I want to be cremated. Quite honestly, room is running out to bury bodies, and unless my body is going to be put in a time capsule for future research, there's no need for it after my organs are harvested donated to a hospital. As for my ashes? I don't care, as long as they're not kept in an urn. That's just creepy.

But, if there is a kind of ceremony, I'd ask for something like what you said. Maybe not my mother (I don't want to make my parents have to go through the whole "I outlived my own son" thing), but someone really close to me, maybe a son or daughter.  

CaprinaePsi

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:10 am
I want Jingle Bells to be played, on the bagpipes, at my funeral.
I will also decree, in legal writing, that my ashes be blown in the faces of people that irritated me in life.

~knock knock~
"Hello?"
"Steven Campbell?"
"Yes?"
"Do you remember ~name here~?"
"Yes... why?"
"You irritated him in high school. Now he's dead. Happy?" ~blows ashes in face~
Good stuff.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:38 am
User Image

Cremation all the way.

There's something about being buried in the ground and left to decompose that squicks me, even though I'll be dead and sufficiently not-caring by then.

Also, for real. No priest saying I'm walking in green ******** pastures with Christ or s**t like that. Who the ******** are you kidding? I'm an atheist. By the rules, I should be in hell.

Say a prayer if you want, but no walking with Jesus s**t.

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:00 am
Superior Jazz
I will also decree, in legal writing, that my ashes be blown in the faces of people that irritated me in life.

~knock knock~
"Hello?"
"Steven Campbell?"
"Yes?"
"Yes... why?"
Good stuff.

Jingle Bells on bagpipes, that's f*cking hilarious XD  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:21 pm
I wouldn't want a funeral. I don't like them.

All they focus on is the death of a person. When they talk about the dead person they always tell lies, to try to make the person look good in death.

A funeral is one big support group for grief and an expensive one at that.

When it comes to time to get rid of my body, I don't want it to be lowered into the ground with people focusing on their grief....I want people, when I die to think about how I lived and be happy for how I lived.

When I die I want to be cremated. I want my ashes thrown out to the sea, or put into some cement ball that will one day become part of a reef. Then every time the look out across the water, and at how pretty it is, they'd remember me.

Sanguvixen

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:44 pm
I'd rather they just drain the embalming fluid and bury me in the back yard. All private, my wife and my children and nobody else. Then plant a tree on the very same spot.

Then get everyone I knew and throw a party for me. xD

I'd rather people spend an evening remembering me than cry because I'm gone. Besides that, the planting of the tree would be a perfect symbol of how I feel about nature: everything comes full circle, and everything lost in nature is reborn. I may be gone, but I would have seen two, maybe even three generations come out of just my life. Things haven't stopped just because I've finally laid down to rest.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:26 pm
a tree? brilliant. Speaking of atheist funerals, Arthur C. Clarke just died and is having a completely secular funeral in Sri Lanka. He wrote like 100 something space, sci-fi books and was totally opposed to religion:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/03/19/obit.clarke.ap/index.html  

Rick Dawkins

blindwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:21 pm
I would want to be sent into space. Just thrown out there as fast at possible.
Just because. lol
I know it would probably be expensive but hey.
Id rather think about my body getting smashed by a rock flying threw space - than think about my body just sittin there... doing nothing next to other dead people.

But more realistically, ashes to the ocean, all the way.

And if anyone talks about it being my time to be pals with Jesus, Ill haunt them. D:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:44 pm
It might sound a bit to fantacy like but I want to be placed in a stone coffin off in a far off forest or somewhere fr away from any human civilization, and either have it buried in a piece of land in the middle of the forest with no trees around for about 50 feet around id say....then have someone stumble apon it and find my fully intact skeleton in a stone coffin.. ninja  

Asterisk07

JadeDragonSoul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:34 am
I either want my own kick-a** tomb or gravestone.

Or have a tree planted over where I was buried.

cool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:38 am
Rick Dawkins
a tree? brilliant. Speaking of atheist funerals, Arthur C. Clarke just died and is having a completely secular funeral in Sri Lanka. He wrote like 100 something space, sci-fi books and was totally opposed to religion:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/03/19/obit.clarke.ap/index.html

And I want my DNA to be saved...and go into orbit! cool

JadeDragonSoul

Xiporah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:45 am
I have my 'burial' planned. Imma have a crypt featuring a 15 foot marble statue of myself overlooking my sarcophagas. Lol. ******** me sideways if anyone is going on a stupid vacation with my life insurance policy. Better start digging and chiseling, jerkwads domokun

However, I don't know about my funeral. I know I want 'The Show Must Go On' by Queen to play. It's a fitting song.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:41 am
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
Superior Jazz

~knock knock~
"Hello?"
"Steven Campbell?"
"Yes?"
"Yes... why?"
Good stuff.

Jingle Bells on bagpipes, that's f*cking hilarious XD

Ever heard it?
I have.  

Superior Jazz

[x] Natasha [x]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:45 pm
Xiporah
I have my 'burial' planned. Imma have a crypt featuring a 15 foot marble statue of myself overlooking my sarcophagas. Lol. ******** me sideways if anyone is going on a stupid vacation with my life insurance policy. Better start digging and chiseling, jerkwads domokun

However, I don't know about my funeral. I know I want 'The Show Must Go On' by Queen to play. It's a fitting song.

I want "Don't stop me now"

And I want to be cremated, and my ashes stuffed into fireworks to be let off during the party that there'll be to celebrate my life.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff